Another EDIC question... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Now, I (think I) know what the EDIC does. It gives the possibility to stop the engine with the key, there is over injection when cold, stops the engine with low oil pressure, etc. Until here, OK. But my question is, where is the EDIC switch for? What does that particular switch do if everything is 'automated'?

s-l1600.jpg

I think you have the same version of B motor I have in my BJ40. If you have a switch for the EDIC in your front panel that's because you don't have an EDIC but a magnet for over injection. This magnet helps you in ignition over feeding the engine and stop the engine when you pull it. Many B motor users take it out and the engine still runs so maybe if you can't find it it's because the owner before you took it off… I attached a picture of mine before I replaced it.

IMG_9634.JPG

I think you have the same version of B motor I have in my BJ40. If you have a switch for the EDIC in your front panel that's because you don't have an EDIC but a magnet for over injection. This magnet helps you in ignition over feeding the engine and stop the engine when you pull it. Many B motor users take it out and the engine still runs so maybe if you can't find it it's because the owner before you took it off… I attached a picture of mine before I replaced it.

View attachment 3446180
I have just imported my 1983 BJ40 from Italy. It has the “B” motor. Upon arrival, I realized that I could not shut off the vehicle via the ignition. A bit of examination and research and I determined that my vehicle is missing the EDIC controller. (See photos) I have no idea how the previous owner was shutting down the engine other than stalling the vehicle with a heavy foot on the brake or getting out of the vehicle, opening the hood and manually pushing the fuel / throttle control forward to stop the flow of fuel. As a fix, I have purchased a throttle control cable and will figure out a way to route it through the firewall and connect it to the fuel injection unit. Not sure if there are many used EDIC controllers accompanied by the actuator rod out there?

I would appreciate any thoughts / guidance about the above.

IMG_0292.jpeg

IMG_0691.jpeg

Looks like there are stands of a snapped cable on there - maybe fitted as a temporary fix?

My 77 HJ has a pull knob/cable to stop the engine - very simple, not much to go wrong.
Plus, if you lose your keys it's still possible to get home!

Mine sits where the choke would be on a petrol truck.

Looks like there are stands of a snapped cable on there - maybe fitted as a temporary fix?

My 77 HJ has a pull knob/cable to stop the engine - very simple, not much to go wrong.
Plus, if you lose your keys it's still possible to get home!

Mine sits where the choke would be on a petrol truck.
Yes there are strands of string it seems. Not sure if the previous owner had rigged something up to shut off the injection pump. So my shut off requires a throttle style cable to push “forward” to shut off the engine. This is what I plan to install. This means that while the vehicle is running the throttle knob will be pulled to the “out” position. Is your set up the same way? Could you send a picture of how yours is configured?

Do you not have the Fuel Control Relay (EDIC Relay) still bolted to the firewall, inside the cab? If you do, test that unit and then just get the missing pieces (armature, etc.) to get it correct so that when you turn the car off, its automatically shut off.

While I agree the "easiest" solution is a kill switch/cable with a knob....maybe shoot for that as a short term solution while you collect/work on the parts for the OEM setup? Just a thought.

Do you not have the Fuel Control Relay (EDIC Relay) still bolted to the firewall, inside the cab? If you do, test that unit and then just get the missing pieces (armature, etc.) to get it correct so that when you turn the car off, its automatically shut off.

While I agree the "easiest" solution is a kill switch/cable with a knob....maybe shoot for that as a short term solution while you collect/work on the parts for the OEM setup? Just a thought.
Yes ideally that’s what I want to do, however, finding an operable 24V OEM set up will prove challenging.

Yes there are strands of string it seems. Not sure if the previous owner had rigged something up to shut off the injection pump. So my shut off requires a throttle style cable to push “forward” to shut off the engine. This is what I plan to install. This means that while the vehicle is running the throttle knob will be pulled to the “out” position. Is your set up the same way? Could you send a picture of how yours is configured?
No mine pulls it backwards to stop, but I have a different injection pump.
Rather than reverse the action, I'd loop the bowden cable over the top and pull from the front (if that's what you need?).

Mine looks like this. The choc block isn't OEM!

20230925_180555.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom