Another 2017 GX460 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
460.jpg

I started the search for a 4Runner, wanted something for the desert and long road trips. Once I added my requirements; compared prices and options the GX made sense. Most 460 in these area are seldom taken off road. This one came out of a lease, doesn't have a trailer hitch (another sign of a mall crawler) My first V8 in several decades. I like the features, my wallet is not happy with the mileage.

View attachment 2503406

I started the search for a 4Runner, wanted something for the desert and long road trips. Once I added my requirements; compared prices and options the GX made sense. Most 460 in these area are seldom taken off road. This one came out of a lease, doesn't have a trailer hitch (another sign of a mall crawler) My first V8 in several decades. I like the features, my wallet is not happy with the mileage.
Congrat's on your new ride! Any plans for it??
Also, in case you're not familiar with Toyota and Lexus products, unless you get a hybrid or something like that, Toyota/Lexus are not known for good gas mileage, A little less than fair, and definitely not good. This especially applies to all their body on frame vehicles, e.g. 4Runner, Landcruiser, Tacoma, Tundra, LX's, GX's, etc. My fully overland built GX get's about 15 mph on the highway if I keep it <70 mph. I can get better if have a tail wind, down hill, drafting 5 feet behind a semi and in neutral.
But what they are known for is minimal repairs beyond regular maintenance and going hundreds of thousands of miles trouble free.
My wife and I both had Landcruisers, sold hers at 285,000 miles, mine sold with 255,000 miles. Every Toyota product we've ever had (over half a dozen) has lasted well into the 200,000 mile range. And usually we sell them because the paint and interior is tired and beginning to look ratty, but not because of the drive train reliability.
If you're one that enjoys doing some of your own work, take a moment and check out the sticky thread: GX 460 Manuals (GX 460 Manuals )
and some of the other very helpful post stuck at the top of the forum!
AND please post any mod's, upgrades, builds, or cool places you may travel to!!
Enjoy! :cheers:

Thank you. I am a Toyota owner. Firm believer in their design and manufacturing process which results in robust reliability. This motors like most Toyota engines is not overly taxed, contributing to its reliability. My highest mileage vehicle (donated to charity) was a Celica with over 250K miles., air conditioning was failing, paint fading, minor rust spots...
No planned modifications at this time, scheduled will be tires, currently running Pirelli All Seasons.
Took a 60 mile drive on Sunday, easy to exceed the posted speed limit without notice. Great visibility, quiet, acceleration and handling are a tad ponderous as expected in a 6000+ vehicle. My daily driver weights a third of it :)
Thank you for the links to the manuals, already downloaded the available ones.
We plan a trip to the desert over the holidays, some dirt roads, soft sand. This was taken in October.

1606153026913.png

Reactions: r2m
Seeing that you're in So. Cal also, my wife and I have just done a couple of desert runs the past couple of weekends.
One in Dos Cabezas in southern Anza Borrego and the other, 2 weekends ago, Black Canyon (Inscription Canyon).
Great time of year for desert runs!

Thanks, we usually end up in the Barstow, Calico area. Our desert season is limited but worth it.

1606154862119.png

We just returned from a trip to the Grand Canyon. First long drive on the GX.
Comfortable, quiet and power to pass slower vehicles. An unexpected surprise is that the displayed mpg was better than expected. We averaged 19.8 getting there and 20 for the last 358 miles from Kingman AZ at a relatively leisurely (speed limit+5) pace.
Vehicle remains stock, tires are Pirelli Scorpion Verde. 265 60 18
Kingman.JPG

Took it off road in a couple of spot to play with L4 and locking central differential. No issues. Plenty of grunt to overcome most obstacles.

A few days ago as I was exiting the fwy and applied the brakes the brakes pulsed and locked, no warning lights, felt like the abs was engaging abruptly. I carefully drove it to the dealer. They found " foreign object stuck between pad and caliper pushing pad against rotor, locking up" causing ABS to activate. Object removed. Vehicle working as designed. First time I experienced this issue in any vehicle on and off road..

It remains a capable comfortable vehicle. Wife is warming up to it.

Reactions: r2m
I have an interest in Overlanding. To that end I recently purchased a 2014 Lexus GX 460, with 99,000 miles on it. My stock base model GX needs a small lift, a tire rack in the pack and a method to store water and extra gas containers. I will think about mounting the 12,000 lbs. wrench I own later. The 6500 lbs. tow capacity will allow me to tow an overland trailer. (vehicle has the tow package with 7 pin adapter on the vehicle)
So far in several hundred miles I am averaging about 20 MPG. This includes a 4,000 foot climb from my home to Flagstaff Arizona and back. The car I bought is extremely clean with no rust at all. The car has spent most of its time in Colorado. The car is very smooth and drives very well. I still need to take it off road to test the 4WD 4L, but this will wait until I put some Goodrich K02s on it this week, it needed new tires at purchase. Overall very pleased with my purchase. This vehicle should provide me with years of good service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom