Anderson Connector for Winch Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NorCalFJ100

SILVER Star
Threads
Okay, I posted on a ongoing thread in the Winching and Recovery Section...Not too many people frequent there!! HAhaha. What size Anderson plug for winch disconnect?

I figured I would check with all you here.

I am trying to determine which Anderson Connector to buy. The AB350 has a peak rating of 500 Amps. I have a ComeUp Slim Seal Gen 2rs 9500. It came with 2 Gauge Wire. The AB350 only goes down to 1/0 Wire. I assume the peak amp rating of the connector is based on the largest wire size of 4/0

The AB175 can accommodate my current wire size, but not as high on the peak amps it handles.

My winch will draw a maximum of 380 AMPS.

Based on the short run of cable and the fact that the Winch Factory supplied the winch with 2 gauge wire, Do you think the AB 175 will be sufficient?

I know there are some Blue Sea Connectors out there. I was just hoping for a very simple plug in disconnect option.

Is anyone else using a AB175 with their winch?

I ran a 350 for years without issue.
Electrical rating are set for a reason just say'n

What gauge wire did you have for your winch and use in your AB350?

It's really the only issue I have being that the smallest gauge for the AB350 will accept is 1/0 and my wiring is 2ga.

Okay, I posted on a ongoing thread in the Winching and Recovery Section...Not too many people frequent there!! HAhaha. What size Anderson plug for winch disconnect?

I figured I would check with all you here.

I am trying to determine which Anderson Connector to buy. The AB350 has a peak rating of 500 Amps. I have a ComeUp Slim Seal Gen 2rs 9500. It came with 2 Gauge Wire. The AB350 only goes down to 1/0 Wire. I assume the peak amp rating of the connector is based on the largest wire size of 4/0

The AB175 can accommodate my current wire size, but not as high on the peak amps it handles.

My winch will draw a maximum of 380 AMPS.

Based on the short run of cable and the fact that the Winch Factory supplied the winch with 2 gauge wire, Do you think the AB 175 will be sufficient?

I know there are some Blue Sea Connectors out there. I was just hoping for a very simple plug in disconnect option.

Is anyone else using a AB175 with their winch?
SB 120
  • New extended range contacts expand wire size up to #1 AWG (42.4 mm²)
    Allows UL rated currents up to 240 amps
SB 175
  • Standard Housing uses up to 1/0 (50mm2) wire and allows currents up to 280 amps
  • SB 2/0 housing allow s use of 2/0 (70mm2) wire and handles up to 340 amps
SB 350
  • Up to 350 mcm (185mm2) Wires
    Allows UL rated currents up to 500 amps

I have my winch connected directly to the battery with the factory supplied circuit breaker. (Badlands 12K)

I recently set up an Anderson connector that I use for a 3000 Watt inverter and I used 2/0 ( this is 00, not 2 gauge) welding cable and a 200A circuit breaker. I used the SB350 Anderson connectors. I also plan on eventually having jumper cables to attach to this as well.

My circuit breaker is intentionally undersized at this time.

If you are looking at this for your winch that is capable of 380Amps for sustained pulls, you need a larger cable and need to use the SB350. I am guessing the winch manufacturer sized the cable at marginal requirements at the point where the circuit breaker will trip more often before the cable overheats.

Check what Joey used on his winch setup @NLXTACY and he details what all he did. This is where I started based on sizing.

The size of wire and insulation rating will determine the amperage it can take based on the resistance of the wires an the length of the wires.

What gauge wire did you have for your winch and use in your AB350?

It's really the only issue I have being that the smallest gauge for the AB350 will accept is 1/0 and my wiring is 2ga.
Add wire to the connector to make up the difference.

SB 120
  • New extended range contacts expand wire size up to #1 AWG (42.4 mm²)
    Allows UL rated currents up to 240 amps
SB 175
  • Standard Housing uses up to 1/0 (50mm2) wire and allows currents up to 280 amps
  • SB 2/0 housing allow s use of 2/0 (70mm2) wire and handles up to 340 amps
SB 350
  • Up to 350 mcm (185mm2) Wires
    Allows UL rated currents up to 500 amps

I have my winch connected directly to the battery with the factory supplied circuit breaker. (Badlands 12K)

I recently set up an Anderson connector that I use for a 3000 Watt inverter and I used 2/0 ( this is 00, not 2 gauge) welding cable and a 200A circuit breaker. I used the SB350 Anderson connectors. I also plan on eventually having jumper cables to attach to this as well.

My circuit breaker is intentionally undersized at this time.

If you are looking at this for your winch that is capable of 380Amps for sustained pulls, you need a larger cable and need to use the SB350. I am guessing the winch manufacturer sized the cable at marginal requirements at the point where the circuit breaker will trip more often before the cable overheats.

Check what Joey used on his winch setup @NLXTACY and he details what all he did. This is where I started based on sizing.

The size of wire and insulation rating will determine the amperage it can take based on the resistance of the wires an the length of the wires.

Hey thank you! I will need to research to see if my winch has some sort of built in circuit breaker. There definitely wasn't an accessory fuse/breaker included. It is interesting that even the winch manufacturer doesn't make their wires a larger gauge.

Add wire to the connector to make up the difference.

Wouldn't just adding extra wire for filler be moot thing to do since it wouldn't carry any current? Please forgive, I am just trying to understand. The AB350 is rated for such high amp draws because it can accept such large gauge wiring. Isn't that right? So in theory if you are not using the 1/0-4/0 wiring it requires, you wouldn't get the same rating of max amps?

This is all just confusing because the actual winch manufacturer included 2 gauge wire with their own product knowing the max amp draw is 380 amps.

Yes the only advantage to adding wire is to make a better connection.

Correct wire sizing takes into account for both length and amperage and needed wire size changes fast with 12volt circuits. Basically for a stated amperage the longer the wire the need for larger wire to handle the load without voltage drop.

HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom