Ancient old winch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey I have an ancient old warn winch, I don't know what it is but it's REALLY old, it's 6000lb.

The motor works great, but the electrics that control it have kind of had it... I had it going a while ago, but now it pretty much just makes weird noises at me. Is there a simple way to just get a new control box for it... like a generic one? I mean all it does is switch the current polarity right?

Is it power in/out? Electric brake? Can you post a pic?

the electrical side of a winch is really not that complicated. So, yes, I would think that you should easily be able to find a solenoid box off a current line that would work with yours. Just watch out for max current specs. And Warn customer service is really good, talk to them.

here we go... sorry for the size and weird angles, i'm at an internet cafe with my camera
IMG_1110.jpg
IMG_1111.jpg
IMG_1112.jpg

the electrical side of a winch is really not that complicated. So, yes, I would think that you should easily be able to find a solenoid box off a current line that would work with yours.

Awesome... where do you think I would find such a thing? What would it be used for that I could buy new?

Looks like a old M6000 winch. I bought one new in 1988 and just traded it to a jeep owner for his 8274.

The plastic engage/disengage lever is NLA. If that breaks you will have to buy the entire end cover and the metal lever.

Here is what mine looked like.
DSCF2681.JPG

yeah the winch came with my 1981 donor truck, I think it'd been on there forver. I'm in South America so if that happens I'll just have something welded onto it or something... no chance of getting parts here without a long wait.

Josho..

I did some work on a similar Warn a couple yrs ago. Here's some info that may help:

Orig_install_1986

NLA means No Longer Available

Awesome... where do you think I would find such a thing? What would it be used for that I could buy new?

well, just figure out the wiring on your winch, how many wires, where do they go, see if you can get info on max current. Then find a solenoid box that is big enough and has the same type of connections. Probably check Warn boxes first since I doubt their solenoid box connections changed much over the last 20 or 30 years. But I imagine any number of manufacturers make similar boxes.

Yeah it's just tricky where I am think I'd have better luck finding some other device with a compatible box than looking for a Warn supplier

I like it. Try to restore it. I like old school equipment like that.

Haha I never thought about it like that! This is just all I have to pull me out if I get stuck in one of those legendary car sized mud holes on the highways down here. Well this winch and my come-along.

That's the awesome thing about landcruisers (and I guess Warn winches too)... trucks that to some are cool old school rigs to others are just their old workhorse or DDs still running. Thought of this today while driving behind an 80, in front of a 45... both of the older trucks unrestored.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom