Builds Amazing 1996 FJZ80 with 55,400 Original Miles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Buy the new rubbers while you can(along with other plastic trim pieces). That's what I've done.

If it came new with Michelins, I wonder why the tire warranty pamphlet in the pic says Firestone? Just curious.

There is a chance the spare does not match the 4 on the ground. Seen it before on new cars. Also maybe the Firestones were being considered and they just threw both brochures in the book. There should be a date on the booklet somewhere. Call the LC museum and see if the want to buy this gem.

Also I notice the brake fluid looks low

Also I notice the brake fluid looks low
Your observant! Yes I noticed that today when I washed the engine bay off. I need to change the oil and get it serviced. I was trying to decide what to do about tires first before I take it in.

BEAUTIFUL TRUCK.

I know it is not stock, but I LOVE the Cooper ST Maxx’s on my 80. They’re quiet on the road, competent off-road and in the wet, and they wear really well.

Hey G if you going vacation and need a truck sitter...😂 glad the bluffy stuff came off looks clean..my jealousy has not gone down! To keep this tech can you post a picture of hopefully a mint LSPV 🙃

Keep original tires on the side. You could also change out the wheels to factory Toyota and change those tires but keep the original set

Hey G if you going vacation and need a truck sitter...😂 glad the bluffy stuff came off looks clean..my jealousy has not gone down! To keep this tech can you post a picture of hopefully a mint LSPV 🙃

Keep original tires on the side. You could also change out the wheels to factory Toyota and change those tires but keep the original set
I am equally jealous! I see you have a FJ55. That is one Cruiser I still do not own and have been searching for. Prefer a clean as rust free as possible original body FJ55 that I can frame off restore. I keep looking however that unicorn has escaped me so far!

Looks a lot like mine did when I first got it but wasn't a gold edition lol
Even had the same cheesy light guards

20150516_121541_zpsd3ws8jjp.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

If it were to be a museum piece, it should be a locked CE or 40th or 1997.

I’d personally enjoy this on regular rotation once freshened up whilst on the lookout for an unmolested CE or 40th which is the true unicorn. It certainly won’t lose value even with normal enjoyment since you have decades of mileage to catch up on.

Did you pull the battery tie-down, or is it missing?

That’s seriously the only thing I notice that seems like this isn’t a time capsule.

I like what you’re thinking on tires, keep this a smooth & quiet road road queen.

I get a kick out of that OE receiver/hitch beauty cap.

I pulled off the brush guard, tail light guards and washed. Yes, I was a fool and sprayed off the motor. Now something got wet and it is missing out. I know better than that!
What do you think? On or off with the brush guard and guards?

View attachment 2057044

View attachment 2057048
Yes, please leave them off. What a great find! No issues with it not being a CE or a 40th - it is an ever appreciating classic and someone who wants a time capsule like that isn’t going to give a d@mn, and sure won’t be using those lockers either.

If it were to be a museum piece, it should be a locked CE or 40th or 1997.

Bah. Totally just your opinion.

It’s like BMW E30M3 world. -Hennarot is a orange/red color that is frankly, not awesome. But by the #’s it’s the rarest USDM color. The only reason 75% of the people who want one is the scarcity. Zinnoberot (a normal bright red) -looks better on the body.

Sage 40th AE’s are the Bronzit (that light champagne metallic) color of the E30 world, and after walking out to mine one morning & realizing that, I had a good laugh at myself.

I love the desert dune / moonglow 2-tones, while not my personal preference the colors & that 2-tone compliment the 80 body.

It’s not like it’s a burgundy 80, I think we can both agree that color neither looks good or ages well.
Pretty much the most tragic color 80, even the green looks black in all but direct sunlight if the clearcoat isn’t totally dusted.

There’s ~5 color of FZJ80’s that really look nice, and his is one. Even if you don’t agree it’s not a “bummer color” in any way.

Did you pull the battery tie-down, or is it missing?

That’s seriously the only thing I notice that seems like this isn’t a time capsule.

I like what you’re thinking on tires, keep this a smooth & quiet road road queen.

I get a kick out of that OE receiver/hitch beauty cap.

X2. Order the oem battery tie down.

Real question is are you going to run the old school oem made in Japan “big” oil filter

Bah. Totally just your opinion.

It’s like BMW E30M3 world. -Hennarot is a orange/red color that is frankly, not awesome. But by the #’s it’s the rarest USDM color. The only reason 75% of the people who want one is the scarcity. Zinnoberot (a normal bright red) -looks better on the body.

Sage 40th AE’s are the Bronzit (that light champagne metallic) color of the E30 world, and after walking out to mine one morning & realizing that, I had a good laugh at myself.

I love the desert dune / moonglow 2-tones, while not my personal preference the colors & that 2-tone compliment the 80 body.

It’s not like it’s a burgundy 80, I think we can both agree that color neither looks good or ages well.
Pretty much the most tragic color 80, even the green looks black in all but direct sunlight if the clearcoat isn’t totally dusted.

There’s ~5 color of FZJ80’s that really look nice, and his is one. Even if you don’t agree it’s not a “bummer color” in any way.

Opinions here? Get out! lmao

This isn't the E30 M3 or whatever world. The 80 series is a juvenile compared to the gen of car you're referencing that also happens to be built for everyday family use, made in far greater #s which leads to far less collectibility that'll never catch up to a sporting model equivalent manufactured for homologation purposes.

And I'm not sure how we're agreeing or disagreeing on color. You said it. It's all good on the internets.

Last edited:
I like seeing more examples of stock 80’s. Seems like most surviving 80s I see lately are heavily “modded out”
I’m doing my part in keeping mine as it was when it left the factory. (OK 98% that way)
94 locked. 114k miles. Bought new by me June 1994.
Never had running boards, trailer hitch or roof rack. No gold emblems no fake wood.
Has original Michelin LTXs (second set).
Any other time capsules out there?
6322D909-F425-4188-81E4-F403FFB8E4D8.jpeg

Get that hood “protector” off. The little nubs between it and the body will eat through the paint. If the leading edge of the hood is mint underneath, have 3M clear bra installed.

Keep the hood protector and brush guards and offer them when you sell the truck...but don’t reinstall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom