Alternators (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is there a good option out there for a stronger alternator? this is for my 24v 81 BJ40 (2 12 volt batteries in sequence). They seem to get run down very easily if a lot of cranking is needed...

Try e-mailing raelenem@gwengineparts.com.au and ask them. They are in Australia and have access to 'Cruiser stuff that we can only dream about. Check out their web site www.gwengineparts.com.au and see. I know they have a 70amp altenator for the 12v deisel 'Cruisers 'cause I got a price for one. If the altenator is toast they are relatively easy to get here as everyone wants 12v like me :(

mean green makes one i think.
its mean though

i had a look and it was a lot easier getting the standard one re-wound and cheaper too. But that was because alternators to fit the vacuum pump assy are very expensive. So i def would rekon that would be moreso the case with a 24volt. Any auto-elect should know someone who does them.

sam

Sounds like your batteries aren't healthy anymore, instead of lack of power from the alternator. Or the capacity of your batteries (measured in Ah) is too low. I have two 70 Ah batteries in my 24V Bj40.
A high-amp alternator won't solve the problem of a quick discharge of batteries while cranking.

Ton

Thanks s79 and ton - I might look into the re-winding, after checking the output of the thing now.

Ton the batteries are 8 months old and are 70s. I think they are healthy, just seems that they don't get back to full from the cruiser running.

I'm not too familiar with the BJ42's but do they have a voltmeter? Has it been reading lower than normal lately? Do you have an internal voltage regulator on the altenator like the 12v ones do? It may be the voltage regulator. I've replaced the voltage regulator several times, I've replaced brushes once, but I've never, ever needed to replace an altenator. That's in nearly 400,000 kM of driving.

I hate to put non-Toyota stuff on my cruiser, but my 40's alternator can barely keep the lights on. Lights and heater???? No way! The turn signals stop flashing ::)

I'm going to swap in a Delco 12si.
http://www.madelectrical.com/electrical-tech.shtml
gives you 94 amps. Much better than the 40 amp that's on my 74.......

if I buy a reman with lifetime warranty from autozone, its like $105 w/o a core.

[quote author=shameless link=board=1;threadid=9035;start=msg78832#msg78832 date=1072061415]
Ton the batteries are 8 months old and are 70s. I think they are healthy, just seems that they don't get back to full from the cruiser running.
[/quote]
Also:
[quote author=shameless link=board=1;threadid=8938;start=msg78400#msg78400 date=1071955885]
Finally got mine running, she is now idling in the driveway charging up her batteries a bit...
[/quote]

I hope you didn't leave those new batteries 8 months without charging them; they degenerate and loose a lot of capacity ...

To avoid disappointment, I would check a few things before replacing or rewinding the alternator:
- are both batteries equally charged;
- there is not a power tap from one battery for 12V devices; use a 24->12V adapter instead;
- check your ammeter at the dashboard: it should have a firm positive reading right after starting. After a few minutes it should go to a moderate positive reading and after some time it goes to zero. At this point the voltage across the batteries should be about 27.4 Volt.

Ton

[quote author=Klunky Chris link=board=1;threadid=9035;start=msg78939#msg78939 date=1072073782]
I hate to put non-Toyota stuff on my cruiser, but my 40's alternator can barely keep the lights on. Lights and heater???? No way! The turn signals stop flashing ::)

I'm going to swap in a Delco 12si.
http://www.madelectrical.com/electrical-tech.shtml
gives you 94 amps. Much better than the 40 amp that's on my 74.......

if I buy a reman with lifetime warranty from autozone, its like $105 w/o a core.
[/quote]
I'm the same way, but I replaced the brushes in the alternator, the voltage reg, and cleaned up the grounds on the turn signals, and VOILA I can run almost any number of accessories I want.
If I were you, thats what I would do, I also loath putting non Toyota stuff on it.
40 amps is plenty, the problem is that your 40 amp alt. ain't putting out 40 amps no more.
I also like having a functional factory ammeter, ain't gonna happen any more after a 94 amp alternator.

Well they are definitely gonna be equally charged now, letting each trickle charge for a day.

Not an electrical expert (proud of myself for managing the taillight swap over the weekend) - where should I check alternator output?

There is a stud on the back of the alternator, sometimes labeled "B", that has a heavy guage wire attached. That is the alternator + output, at least on external regulated F and 2F motors. Touch the red "stick" of your multimeter there, and then the black "stick" to the alternator case or a clean place on the engine.
The battery is sometimes a good enough measure, but if any wiring is faulty between the alternator and the battery, you will get a funky reading.
Could you post a pic of your engine bay? I've actually never seen the engine bay of a diesel 40. Especially not a 24v one.

Be glad to post a pic - probably in the next couple days :)

[quote author=shameless link=board=1;threadid=9035;start=msg79008#msg79008 date=1072106310]
where should I check alternator output?
[/quote]

Look at the ammeter at the dashboard. That will show the charge current from alternator to battery. Mine reads about 20 Amps right after starting.

Ton

[quote author=Pin_Head link=board=1;threadid=9035;start=msg79174#msg79174 date=1072127019]
Unequal charging is a common problem with 24V cruisers. Here is a fix.
http://www.newcruiser.ca/index.php?CID=2G
[/quote]
Undoubtedly a good solution.
Here's what I did/do:
a. installed two identical batteries
b. connected them parallel for an hour so the charge divides equally
c. disconnected 12 V devices such as radio and clock that were wired to the first battery only. This will discharge only one battery, causing imbalance. Instead I use a 24->12V adapter
d. check voltage of each battery two times a year. If there is imbalance, connect them parallel for an hour.

Ton

[quote author=CruisinGA link=board=1;threadid=9035;start=msg79063#msg79063 date=1072113405]
The battery is sometimes a good enough measure, but if any wiring is faulty between the alternator and the battery, you will get a funky reading.
[/quote]

Measure both, at the alternator and the battery. If there is a difference, you have a wiring problem.

Ton

As requested, a portrait of the glorious B engine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom