Alternator woes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am having an electrical issue and would like to solicit Mud theories.

Last summer I replaced the alternator in my 2000 LX. During the install, the plastic locking clip on the wiring harness plug that goes into the alternator snapped off. I suppose that it is natural that plastic might start to become brittle on a fifteen year old vehicle, it certainly wasn’t due to operator error because...well, just because. I seated the plug in the new alternator as firmly as i could and buttoned it all up. All seemed good until seven or eight months later and my charging became erratic. The volt gauge “twitched”, AC motor speed varied in concert with the gauge, the door locks did not work properly and then the truck died. I charged the battery and wiggled the wiring on the alternator. Again, everything worked fine for several months. I am now having the same symptoms and assume that the plug is not staying seated properly.

So my question is twofold. First, is it reasonable to assume that the variability of the voltage readings are due to a loose connection or should I be ruling out some other obvious causes? Second, if it is the wiring harness plug what are my options? My thoughts have run to some kind of fabed “jumper” extension that had both male and female ends and I could zip tie the broken male end to the jumper female end. Another line of thought is might there be a way to more securely keep the current plug attached to the alternator?

Thanks for the help.

Cameron

Haven't experienced your symptom(s). I suggest taking static and operating voltage readings to begin

If its the plug...you can purchase a new plug and pigtails with pins already attached from Toyota. Contact Onur aka beno or CDan for the parts.

Last edited:
Was the plug loose when you "wiggled" the wires? Probably not right?

Aftermarket alternator?

To test if the plug is the issue, use some zip ties to securely tighten the connection together. That'll rule out the plug as an issue, and you can order the OEM toyota part if that ends up being the issue.

Re: jumper... I looked last time and couldn't find the correct connector "alternator side" style. Post up if you do.

Based on your description and history, it's the plug. Figure out a way to securely fasten it together and you'll be fine. You may need to thoroughly clean it, however, since it's been loose a couple of times the contacts may be dirty or corroded. Once clean, use some dielectric grease on the connectors and do whatever you need to do to make sure it stays fully plugged in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom