Alternative frame for FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New guy here ... I asked this on the FJ40 list and got some general reponses. Wanted to try it on this list since I just found it and it's probably more appropriate. Has anyone had experience with mounting a 40 on a Jeep TJ frame? Reason: all the tested coil spring/link suspensions available ... or probably the AiRock airbag system. Truck will see a lot of long distance road miles, and only mild off-road ... fishing, camping, etc. Airbags would take care of hauling/towing changing weights.

Next "possibility:" A TJ Unlimited frame, 103" wheelbase with an Aqualu Aluminum body. Todd at Aqualu says the tubs are made "by computer" and any length is easy enough ... that part is a mystery to me! Top side pieces can be lengthened, and the fiberglass top can be lengthened ... or a soft top can be custom made.

It seems to me that the body mounts would be easy enough. Have Todd place the tub mounting "bars?" to line up with the frame mounting points??? It's the front that I'm just not sure about, getting the fenders mounted and front bib.

Any experience ... and educated guesses are welcome and appreciated. Thanks.

IMO, you'll end up significantly happier and cheaper starting with your own custom frame design and making the mounts for a link suspension. For street use, the TJ is pretty capable, and can be modified for offroad use too, but one of the first changes to a TJ is the long arm suspension, negating any advantage to their existing link mounting system.

IIRC, Twisted Customs makes custom tube frames for FJ's and could easily incorporate the mounts and bracketry required for the suspension of your choice...and likely lengthen for an extended tub design too. That would be the choice I'd make....

Admin Woody ... thanks for the thoughts. Any contact info for twisted customs ... a quick web search didn't turn anything. Thanks again.

scratch the twisted customs one...TDK is who to contact....nice stuff

FYI, wheelbase is 93.4 on a TJ versus the 90 of a FJ40....track is 58 versus 55 on a FJ40...

similar enuf to work, the mounting would be the only change...AND potential clearance issues with your driveline choice....

Logic check ... or reality check

Woody ... thanks again for the thoughts. Given that the rig will see a lot of road, some at 70 mph, I have "assumed" that a new frame and suspension will handle better on-road ... and safer. The AiRock unit does seem well engineered and does allow for vastly different payloads and a little towing.

Flaws or problems with this thinking?

I know that a new Jeep Unlimited, 4-Runner, or even a new Land Cruiser would serve my NEEDS ... but they fall short of WANTS ... an old Cruiser :)

AiRock should be a good choice for what you are doing. It can be adapted to work well in a lot of different applications.

I talked extensively with the AiRock crew on adapting their system to my 80-series....IMO, very doable, but more $$$$ than I was willing to swing.

You might seriously consider a rolled 80-series for a builder.....keep the excellent frame and driveline intact, and drop a FJ45 truck or wagon body on top...

93-97 gets you a good motor/injection system, the possiblity of factory lockers, lots of lift kit options, easy-install airbags for the rear loading, and keeps it all Toyota...

believe Wagonner is doing something like that now, his thread is likely on p2 or 3 of Hardcore....haven't seen any updates lately tho to his thread....hhhhmmm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom