Almost Launched My 5.7 Today - Faulty Oil Filter Housing Plug (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This was a close one. I changed my oil and filter last week, all went normal. Noticed a slight oil drip coming from the skid plate today.

Took the skid plate off and saw oil leaning from the aluminum oil filter housing plug. As soon as I installed my 3/8 extension into the plug - TINK. It fell apart.

Perhaps I over torqued it last week, but I believe in my automotive skills - was an ASE certified master tech for many years. But I am big and strong. :)

YES - this aluminum oil filter housing kit was from CHINA - Amazon - link below

I installed the OEM Toyota plug (glad I kept it!) and all is good. Good luck!

Carnage:

20221003_114043.jpg

Link, this is the one I used: Amazon product ASIN B091C2HGGH

20221003_120732.jpg

Yikes, nice save!!!!
I may have to go digging in my truck parts box and put my stock plug on or at least check out the new plug the next time I change my oil and put it through some serious torture testing on the workbench. :p

Yikes, nice save!!!!
I may have to go digging in my truck parts box and put my stock plug on or at least check out the new plug the next time I change my oil and put it through some serious torture testing on the workbench. :p

I read some of the Amazon reviews from this kit - same issue, broken plugs. Good idea switching it out with the OEM Toyota plug.

Ok. I’ll bite… Why exactly would one replace the OEM plug with a Scamazon piece of junk? Unless I’m missing something, this seems silly. Is it part of a filter relocation kit?

Ok. I’ll bite… Why exactly would one replace the OEM plug with a Scamazon piece of junk? Unless I’m missing something, this seems silly. Is it part of a filter relocation kit?

It's a whole new metal oil filter housing unit to replace the plastic stock one. The plug that it comes with was junk on his.

Do the OEM housings fail regularly?

Do the OEM housings fail regularly?
I don't think they do regularly that I know of. I have read of some people who have chipped them and/or broken them when trying to remove them, especially after an oil change place or even dealer cranks them on way too tight.
For me, I just feel better having the metal one and I always use the proper torque spec when I replace it, which I believe is only 18ft lbs.

My 2012 OEM plastic housing was leaking, even with new orings - must have been warped. That is why I replaced it with an aluminum assembly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom