All-Pro Bumper Install...lots of pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CandyPants

K9CRZ
SILVER Star
Threads
This holiday weeked, we took on my first modification to my FJ, a new All-Pro bumper. While I am not at all a seasoned mechanic, my brother has owned 5 Land Cruisers over time and really was the mechanic behind the install. We basically followed the directions on All-Pro's website, but since I didn't install a winch, it simplified things a bit.

Here we go....Deconstruction. Nothing too hard here except for a few sticky plastic clips.
Install 1.jpg

Pieces of the FJ all over the place...

Here are the pieces we removed scattered on the driveway. Please note all-important grill for celebratory burger to come later.
Install 2.jpg

Here is the bumper

We changed the order of the steps a little bit. Because this is my DD, I couldn't take it apart, dry fit the bumper, and then have it powder coated. So I had it done last week when the bumper arrived. Here are pics of the front and the back of the bumper.
Install 3a.jpg
Install 3b.jpg

Bending the condensor line is tricky...

So be careful with it. I didn't have to bend mine as much as other's will because I didn't install a winch. If a winch was in that bumper, that line would be a pretzel. Also, the mounting bracket for holding the line needs to come off. Dan (brother) bent it around too so that it still fit and held the condensor line off the bumper. Not part of the directions, but I think a helpful hint. You can kind see it in the second picture. And yes, that's me with my laptop and my Corona!
Install 3.jpg
Install 4.jpg

Surgery...Inner fender wheel liners

The directions say to clip these off before you get the bumper on, but we choose to put the bumper on first (not tightened down) to get a good line for the cut. This is really where you can see a major difference in the front of the truck in the way of tire face.
Install 7.jpg
Install 9.jpg

Finishing up...

Just slap that bumper on there, center it up really well all around, and tighten down the nuts. Be sure to save your stock nuts, cause you will need them. Here is Dan finishing up, and the final result. We also attached the lower skidplate. I have some measurements, and I'll post them up tomorrow.
Install 8.jpg
Install 10.jpg
Install 11.jpg

Last edited:
Lookin good! Your Bro deserves more than just a burger. Thanks for posting.

Measurements

So here are the measurements we took:

BEFORE:

1) From front of stock skidplate to ground = <10"
2) To stock front face of bumper from ground= 19"
3) Tire face = 16"
4) Tire to front of bumper = 18.5"

AFTER:

1) 14"
2) 23"
3) 25.5"
4) 17"

So we improved the approach angle, the tire face, the clearance in the front (minimally) and shortened the truck by about an inch.

Jim S. said:
Lookin good! Your Bro deserves more than just a burger. Thanks for posting.

I agree :)

I have a sense that I will be installing a lift soon too, so the ante will be up significantly from burgers ;)

Heather, thanks for posting all that. You've got great approach angles now

Great reference for All Pro buyers :cheers:

I still have those same sandals for wrenching lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom