All Burned Up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wherever you mount it internally, it's a great idea when on the trail to strap it onto a bumper in plain view. In a panic, having it on the outside of the vehicle is good for fast access to both you and more importantly to other people. Also if you've rolled and the truck starts smoking while you're stuck inside however briefly, others can manage the fire while you focus on getting out.

Putting it on the roof is highly visible but obviously a roll over can make it unusable for you just when the battery is shorting on the hood and fuel starts leaking.... Bumpers are a great spot.

For a semi permanent internal mount, I've always felt an extinguisher should be accessible directly to the driver. On the floor behind the center console would be my choice, and the mount should be uber stout since in an on road collision that thing would be a missile. Cargo area would be second best, and I'd mount it high so less chance cargo is going to block it.

DougM

DougM

That's a great idea. I need to get ahold of a fire extinguisher now

NLXTACY...I am going to sit by and see what kind of fire suppression system you end up installing. I think the two fire extinguishers I carry should be sufficient.

It sucks that this LC burned...but, I have not heard of many LC's burning...so, I am going to have to assume that this was a one off situation...we can't prepare for every eventuality.

I think the biggest take away form this situation is to always have a go-bag ready in case you have to ditch your truck. Imagine having to Bear Grylls it out there with the family..."honey what we are going to do is squeeze this bear poo and drink the liquid..."

Cheers.

- Mark

Sorry to hear about your LC.It makes me cringe to think about riding 60KM in a tracker in asphalt, much less on a forestry service road............ You are blessed that you family is all okay,though.

Damn - sorry to hear/see your 80 burn!

As others have said the biggest thing is you got your family out OK and I'll give you a big pat on the back for having a bug-out-bag handy. Almost nobody does nowadays.

I stopped about 8 months ago to help with a vehicle fire. A mini-van's engine compartment caught fire. I helped to exhaust about 4 or 5 fire extinguishers into the hood compartment through a bent hood/quarter panel area (from a wreck) but the van kept burning and ended up being totaled by the time the fire dept got there.

I couldn't get the hood open as it was too hot and the catch melted. At that point I made the decision to get my kids to a safe distance.

So sorry to see and hear about the loss of your rig, but you were able to save what was most important.

I commend you on your quick thinking and quick action :clap:.

And I will be rushing out to pick up some fire extinguishers.

I am so glad all made it out & home safely.

My 6yr old grandson & I were out & about, no vehicle problem, and he started having anxiety problems....after a while, he too wants to show-&-tell at school , , ,and do it again.

After the rig gets towed to the insurance impound, talk with insurer...ask to look rig over: axles (locking diffs) may actually be OK....winch may also be good too. Ask insurer how much $ to buy hulk as 'salvage' . . .might be cheaper to 'euse diffs & winch than replace....( oh, the 'buy as salvage' should not affect any 'total loss compensation' if you have fire/theft coverage....)...then dump (metal salvage yard) what's left...may get few bucks as metal scrap.

My condolences, and happiness that everyone got out ok. The cruiser is a small loss really.

You should be getting the sense that this is a rare event. In the few years I have been on this board I never heard of this occurring.

The silver lining being that the fire only destroyed things you can replace. I am concerned about the hood latch becoming useless during an engine fire.

Wow, sorry for your loss. On the positive side, think of how many of us will be prepared from now on. I know I am going to be putting together an emergency grab bag for my next trip!

NLXTACY...I am going to sit by and see what kind of fire suppression system you end up installing. I think the two fire extinguishers I carry should be sufficient.

It sucks that this LC burned...but, I have not heard of many LC's burning...so, I am going to have to assume that this was a one off situation...we can't prepare for every eventuality.

I think the biggest take away form this situation is to always have a go-bag ready in case you have to ditch your truck. Imagine having to Bear Grylls it out there with the family..."honey what we are going to do is squeeze this bear poo and drink the liquid..."

Cheers.

- Mark

I have go bag on the ready. Although after reading this I may change the location of the go bag. Excellent suggestion by Doug to have a large extinguisher on the outside of the truck during trips. Having the IPOR now, that is precious seconds when I need to get in the back.

I do not expect my truck to burn down ever BUT, I've seen a LOT of vehicles on fire during my lifetime and I had a close call on my 4Runner before some nutsack completed the job :rolleyes:

Plus I have a ton of mods and more to the point, I have a ton of electrical mods. And although I trust my own work you just never really know. So that's why I initially got the fire suppression system for my LX. Its mean to be JUST for the engine bay and its to prevent just such issues as gaining access to the engine.

To add fuel to the fire (pun intended) I ust realized as I was doing one of the LANDTANK mods that my charcoal canister is now just a fuel storage device. So I need to clear that up. Right there is a fire waiting to happen.

Its the same systems used in pretty much all race cars, I'm just using it in the LX. I have on fire extinguisher up front and one in the back. After learning what I did taking my CERT classes I still need to change the type of extinguishers I use and I need to put them both in more visible locations.

Oh man! :eek::frown:
Have two kids of the same age in the back seats and I'm truly glad that everyone made it unscathed (but the Cruiser).
As far as the insurance is concerned, will they have an expert have a look at the car and check what went awry? It's not everyday that we see such things happening here. Are you going to get it towed somewhere?

Jesus, that sucks. I'm sorry for you.

I recently competed in the Nevada Trophy

https://forum.ih8mud.com/trails-eve...2009-nevada-trophy-gps-rally-raid-report.html

They stress having two fire extinguishers with each vehicle (A team consists of two vehicles). I thought this was because a couple of years back, one of the organizer's Range Rover's burnt to the ground on I-80. We don't suffer from Lucas wiring, so I imagined we were "O.K." The extinguisher's have to be accessible and mounted very securely.

Ignorantly, I considered this to be a PITA. I mounted two in accordance with the safety specs and breezed through tech inspection. About halfway through the first day, my team mate ran past my 80 and said he smelled gas. I ran to the back of my 80 to see gas leaking out (Quite fast, I might add) from the 5/8th's fuel line going from my Long Ranger aux tank to the main tank.

The LR was pretty full as I had only transferred twice. Each time, when I reached about 3/4 of a tank, main tank level. I was trying to keep as much weight forward of the rear axle as possible.

My E-locker actuator bracket had been cutting into the fuel line every time I was at full compression. We replaced the line and was able to still finish high for the day.

My point is, It was very reassuring to be under a hot truck with a major fuel system failure and know that we had four extinguisher's with us. Suddenly, it wasn't such a big PITA, but a small sense of security.

I'm leaving the extinguisher's where they are bolted down. Which is bolted on top of where the 3rd row seats bolt in to.

SS about your truck..Glad everyone was safe!

and the mount should be uber stout since in an on road collision that thing would be a missile.

I think that some people would be amazed at how inexpensive a extinguisher and commercial mount is.

Back of one of the work trucks, 20# dry chem extinguisher and quick release mount was ~$125:
DSC07117.jpg

Front of one of the trailers, 10# dry chem extinguisher and quick release mount was ~$75:
DSC00239.jpg
DSC00239.jpg
DSC07117.jpg

ouch man, thats a bummer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom