Alexander Mackenzie Trail - 2013 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No - you can see green around the site - more to come ...

Messue Crossing

Latter we packed up from the Mackenzie Lodge site and headed up to the airfield and out back to the main trail. The next homestead on the trail heading east was the Chatwell's farm. We stopped and spoke briefly to Mrs. Chatwell who had hobbled out with her cane to check oot the 'rare' truck convoy.

We then continued on down the trail and turned onto the Messue Wagon Trail, which heads north to Messue Crossing. Along the way we stopped at the Kusyuko Falls, upriver from the crossing.

This was a beautiful site and Rob and Dan went for a swim in the cool refreshing water.

P1050961 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1050962 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1050970 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1050964 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1050967 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

Messue Crosiing

About 45 minutes latter we proceeded over a rickety log bridge and across the Messue Crossing and found a camping spot, about 6 feet up from the river's edge on the north side of the Blackwater River.
I remembered this spot in 2010 and made a note to return. We made an early camp and within a few minutes the boys were hauling in fish. We spent two nights here and this site was a perfect - no bugs- sunny- great scenery- fresh clean water -- lots of fish- this is as good as it gets!

P1050973 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1050977 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1050982 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1050978 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1050983 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

Fishin', tubin' down the Blackwater and lazin' in the late summer sun -- this is the life!

That evening the boys continued fishing and I sat mesmerized by the sun dancing off the rippling water oblivious to concerns of life back home.

P1050987 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1050990 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1050985 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1050981 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1050989 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

Last edited:
The 'Story' of the Lodge

The next day a battered red Jeep stopped at the north side of the crossing.
Incredibly it was Chadwell's son-- I asked him about the Mackenzie Lodge and he said the Lodge first went in during the 1950's and was a going concern for many decades - flying in guests during the busy summer season.
He confirmed the rumor that Bill, an American that had operated the lodge and in the late 1990's shot himself in the US -- multiple times, which is hard to believe!
The story goes that Bill lost the Lodge as a the result of a court case, probably the result of a business disagreement, to someone called' Manny'. Manny took over the Lodge around 2000, but did not operate it profitably.

The Lodge and property were intact in 2005 when the Roverlanders went through and documented the rebuilding the bridge over the creek. http://bc4x4.com/tr/2006/mackenzie-trail/

Chadwell's son continued on and said he thought property might have fallen into arrears over the lease payments. It was abandoned around 2008-2009 at few years prior to our visit 2010. In 2010 all the cabins and building were broken into, but most of the furniture and minor property was still there. We suspected the more valuable equipment (e.g. boat motors) had already been removed. Chadwell's son said in the spring of 2011 or 2012 the remaining assets of value were helicoptered out and the gov't burned the buildings!
I suspect when the leases expire and the land reverts back to the Crown there could be a requirement to turn the land back to its original state.
We maybe never know the real story - but this one might be as close to the real story that we will get explaining the demise of the Mackenzie Lodge.

P1000831 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

Kluskoil Lake

Next morning we packed up and headed to the Kluskus Village – our first contact with civilization in over a week. Dan said hi to some horses and from there we took the 4000 Road which is the quickest way to Quesnel via Nazko.
We found the unmarked Pan Meadow Crossing turnoff, which I would never have found without my GPS track from previous trips.
The trail continued with little windfall until we encountered a clear cut which had virtually obliterated an signs of the original trail. After a few hours of dead ends Rob found the faint remnants of the original trail.
We finally got to Pan Meadow Crossing and stopped and had lunch in the big grassy field. In 2012 this was a deep water crossing, but being the end of August the river level was low and we had no issues.
We persevered along the long tortuous bumpy trail and finally got to the Kuskoil Lake welcomed by an big grassy field and warm sunny weather.
The site and buildings looked the same as it did in July 2012 when Gary and I were there last July.

P1050993 [1024x768].jpg

P1050994 [1024x768].jpg

P1030586 [1024x768].jpg

P1000784 [1024x768].jpg

P1000775 [1024x768].jpg

Last Day Together

Next morning Bill and Trisha left the group as they had to prepare for work back in Kamloops.
I headed out a little later. I had to drive to Kelowna and prepare my truck for storage and then fly home. From Titetown I headed straight to the wand wash and deposited at least 50 lbs of the finest Mackenzie mud in the cleaning bay before making a clean get away down Hwy 97!

On reflection this trip was a bigger challenge than in 2010, although we had different problems to overcome in 2010 - mechanical issues and the forest fire. Ironically the fire that followed us through in 2010 created a lot work for us on this 2013 trip.
The trip was memorable in that the team worked well together, and we were the first convoy of trucks through the western portion since the great fire of 2010.
Due its remoteness and lack of use the western portion of the Mackenzie trail (from the Mackenzie Lodge site west) is at risk of being completely overgrown and lost unless groups like ours try to keep it clear for anyone to use, especially hikers who are unable to pack chainsaws.

That's all from the Black 74 for now !

P1030595 [1024x768].jpg

P1000786 [1024x768].jpg

Great write up Glenn. Telling of the history, obstacles met and overcome, and pictures makes for a great read.

Yes- Thanks for taking the time to catalogue the adventure!

Thanks for taking the time to do this write up Glenn.

gb

It was a nice surprise bumping into you today Glenn, best of luck in the new house. Great write up as always. Take care.

Great pics, Dan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom