Alexander Mackenzie Trail - 2013 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been contacted by a Cruiser owner in Kamloops wanting to do the Alexander Mackenzie Trail in September 2013.
A group of us did the trail from East to West in 2010 which is written up in Toyota Trails. I said I would post on this Board to see if there is any interest in doing this challenging trail again.

My idea is to come in from Anahim Lake and head to Gatcho Lake and explore up to the Entiako Provincial Park boundary/ Tweedsmuir Park Boundary, before heading East via the Krestinuk’s Wagon Road to Eliguk Lake.

I think 3 to 5 trucks would be ideal.

P1000821.jpg

IMG_2148.jpg

Attachments

• ToyotaTrails-2011-JanFeb-Short.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 471
Interested!!! I'd be game depending on dates and duration. Would a big 80 keep up?

I should have most of Spetember off this year, if the dates work -Yes

In less than 1 day of posting we have four (4) interested in this trip and growing. I have not contacted the Rover-Landers as a few of those members might be interested, several have done it before. Based on previous experience I would guess the list should be 8 to 10 this early to account for 'domestic attrition' as the date approaches :hillbilly:

1 ridendude -- FJ Cruiser
2 Land Cruiser Rob -- BJ60
3 Dangil -- HDJ81
4 Glenn-BJ74 -- BJ74
5 wrongway around -- HDJ81

3p7mp1.jpg

Last edited:
Men will commit to anything that is almost 9 months away. How do you think we end up with kids. lol

Holy crap Glenn-what the hell have I started?:hmm:
I was just gonna go for a drive.....:rolleyes:

Preparations

A few thoughts on preparations including fuel, food and equipment.

• Fuel - I would recommend a 600 km fuel range in the bush, accounting for poor fuel economy (low 4wd speed, idling while clearing trail). From experience gassers burn a lot of fuel on this trail (100 litres spare)
  • Food - I would recommend one (1) week’s food supply. This can be done by turning the ARB fridge into a dedicated freezer and recycling ice into the coolers in the morning (I use the Sun Rype 1 litre juice containers).
  • Perishables - Fresh fruit and vegetables is virtually nonexistent along Hwy 20, so stock up in Williams Lake.
  • Bugs and mud - bring lots of bug repellant and mosquito coils, as bug juice is expensive along Hwy 20. Mosquito netting for your windows if you sleep in your truck. Rubber boots are a good idea.
  • Winch – although not an absolute necessity in a group – a good winch is desirable with extension lines as in some places winching points are a long way away. Basic recovery equipment is needed ( long handle shovel, straps, etc).
  • Chainsaw – good quality (sharp) chainsaw (bring extra chain) last trip we had many issues with chainsaws, including my POS Poulin. Hand pruners were also very useful (i.e getting your door open).
  • Safety Gear - safety glasses, gloves, helmet, boots and safety vests would be a good idea - for major trail clearing jobs.
  • Emergency – we should have at least two Spots and several well equipped first aid kits in case of emergency.
  • Spares - a good selection of spare parts should be brought along, which could be shared by like vehicles.
  • Fishing Rods - fishing is unmatched - bring your gear.

Got the spot and first aid kit handled. I also carry a valid level III first aid cert.

Timing Issue

Although many months away, I think we should kick around a preliminary date for the trip.
Please post your comments and constraints on those dates.

Last week in August and first week in September
(Aug. 24 to Sept 8)

i'm game. I think I'll forgo doing any US stuff this year and commit to this instead.

Mackenzie Trail List

Mud Name Rig Location

1 ridendude (FJC) Kamloops
2 Land Cruiser Rob (BJ60) Maple Ridge
3 Dangil (HDJ81) New West/Langely
4 Glenn-BJ74 (BJ74) Victoria
5 kim (BJ60) Maple Ridge
6 dirtdoesdirt (4Runner) Prince George
7 Tarsier/Ruwi (HDJ81) Langely

Update Jan 22, 2013.

Gary T has expressed interest in coming.
wrongwayaround has made alternative plans

Last edited:
Date suggestions, second and third weeks of Sept

Date suggestions, second and third weeks of Sept

Rob's dates
"I will be off Sept 11 - Oct 9 for sure. I will put in for leave for the last 2 weeks of Aug and the first week of Sept, however I wont know if it is approved until about April."

Interest ? Are you kidding ? I'm from all the way over in Indiana and I'd be interested. Still hoping to do the Dusy Ershim trail in California sometime in Sept and maybe Whipsaw too. Would like to stay in the loop though I understand there must be a limit. I have Stihl chain saws and I know how to use them. :D

Oh, my sister has a place at Big White so I'd have to stop in there to chill a bit too . . . maybe do some dirt biking riding on the FSRs.

I'm interested but a bit worried about fuel range at the moment. I got 530kms on the road with 130L of fuel and have no easy way of carrying more. I can also see that trail returning me 2-3mpg for most of it so I would need almost 250L of fuel.

I guess tires is the only other issue only one spare and I hear if you look at the Duratac's wrong they explode and kill buses full of nuns.

I'm 100% possibly maybe in. (do not put me on the list I'm just a web wheeler)

FSR and Bush Mileage

From Anahim Lake (last fuel) to Nazko (first fuel) it looks like 180 km of FSR (gravel travel) and 170 km slow bush travel, which is 350 km. Add 50% fuel contingency that would be 525 km.

This assumes we bail out at Kluskus Village (no fuel) and take the 4000 Rd to Nazko, since we did the Kluskoil Lake portion of the Trail in 2012.

Looks like you need 8 jerry cans, which would weigh about 290 lbs with containers.

From Anahim Lake (last fuel) to Nazko (first fuel) it looks like 180 km of FSR (gravel travel) and 170 km slow bush travel, which is 350 km. Add 50% fuel contingency that would be 525 km.

This assumes we bail out at Kluskus Village (no fuel) and take the 4000 Rd to Nazko, since we did the Kluskoil Lake portion of the Trail in 2012.

Looks like you need 8 jerry cans, which would weigh about 290 lbs with containers.

OK I will sit this one out, hopefully next time I will have a diesel and 2x the range.

Enjoy the trip.

You could borrow my trailer if you want to haul extra fuel Jeremy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom