Alaska to Argentina in an HJ47 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.landtrek.net
Greetings.

Now getting to the final stages of prepping our '83 HJ47 for an extended overland trip that will take France (my wife), Minnie the dog and me (Marc) from Québec to Alaska to Argentina.

www.landtrek.net

The actual trip may only begin in July '14 but for us, the Adventure has already begun as building the rig and dealing with the "side effects" of leaving everything behind for up to a couple of years is an adventure in itself. (Think of stuff like quitting your job and selling/renting the house... YIKES!)

I will try to post here every time a new update is up on our web site so folks can follow us along.

Please visit us and drop us a word/comment/insult either here or directly form the blog. And don't forget to "like" us on facebook!

Cheers!

MFM

^^^^
Apparently not. With only one exception, everyone ships around the Darian Gap.

Hi all,

IIRC, in the 1980s Land Rover funded an expedition of Range Rovers to cross the Darian Gap. Apparently it was a complete winch fest!

Regards,

Alan

OK, you got my attention. Who doesn't?

Hi all,

IIRC, in the 1980s Land Rover funded an expedition of Range Rovers to cross the Darian Gap. Apparently it was a complete winch fest!

Regards,

Alan

I think you are correct although not sure when it happened exactly.

To me, the biggest problem with crossing the Darien gap is cost. It's not the logistics, the total lack of passage ways (road, trail or whatever), it's not the cartels or the angry natives or lack of security. It's not the swamps or the endless winching, no really, it's the cost.

I simply can't afford a divorce right now...:D

Enjoy the trip! That is a once in a lifetime adventure for a very few. Good for you!

I have to say though that I'm surprised you would take a dog along. That's something I think most folks would not do. Aside from the vehicle logistics, I would think it might prove problematic in some countries.

The first all-land auto crossing was in 1985–87 by Loren Upton and Patty Mercier in a CJ-5 Jeep, taking 741 days to travel 125 miles (201 km). This crossing is documented in the 1992 Guinness Book of Records.

--wikipedia

No thanks on that.

But your trip sounds like quite an adventure!!!

Enjoy the trip! That is a once in a lifetime adventure for a very few. Good for you!

I have to say though that I'm surprised you would take a dog along. That's something I think most folks would not do. Aside from the vehicle logistics, I would think it might prove problematic in some countries.

True. Something else most folks wouldn't do is travelling down central/south-america, period. Never mind in a 30 year old truck! Don't worry if you think we're nuts. We are! We KNOW taking our dog WILL bring more issues. But Minnie is a great travelling companion which we picked up on our 10 month quad trip (quatrek.net) and we're ready to take the time and steps needed to take her with us. Plus, when you're going to be on the road for 1½ - 2 years, spending a couple more hours at the border doesn't make much of a difference. We'll have the necessary paperwork for her nonetheless and if it turns out to be too much of a hassle to cross at a specific border station then we'll try the next one down... In latin america, rules flex according to who you're talking to...

The first all-land auto crossing was in 1985–87 by Loren Upton and Patty Mercier in a CJ-5 Jeep, taking 741 days to travel 125 miles (201 km). This crossing is documented in the 1992 Guinness Book of Records.

--wikipedia

No thanks on that.

But your trip sounds like quite an adventure!!!

Crossing the Gap would BE the Adventure in itself. Plus unfortunately, i only have 730 days ahead of me to complete the trip...

New update at landtrek.net

Well, title says it all. Drop by www.landtrek.net to see how we did with our engine rebuild.

Dan’s the Man

As you’ll remember, the rebuilding of the engine had come to a grinding stop as we couldn’t find correct sized rod bearings. Fortunately.....read the rest of the story here

I wish both of you a great and safe Adventure. If Calgary is on your route south from Alaska stop by Cochrane Toyota and ask for Corey (Service Manager) I would love to say hi!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom