AJR's off road camping trailer build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I used Aluma-Lite for a base layer of the floor. It's two very thin sheets of aluminum with corrugated plastic in between. It's very light, and will protect the plywood floor from the elements, but not quite strong enough to use alone. I had originally considered using this material for the sides, but later decided that it wouldn't be strong enough.
rS8xqjQgTWG3rX0jvRBhZw.jpg
O2qx4tEcRzG0YuFkxWVp9w.jpg

Another drop of photos. Finishing the floor with 3/4” plywood. Some more shots as I start to assemble the fenders, and the beginning of the walls. Walls are aluminum riveted to the frame of the box. Also a little bit of the rear door frame, hopefully I have more pictures of
the rear door as I was building it.
0BA67A19-810F-4AC3-8372-90B8BA2F00E2.jpeg
D661380B-F383-47C5-A663-EC80503E5451.jpeg
12675037-AADF-4103-9713-46B38AA889E1.jpeg
4C31300C-99C7-44F2-8503-8AC0DFDCB196.jpeg

Reactions: AJR
Thanks Dave, I’m on a roll so I’ll post up a few more.
I got the rear door done. It has fold up legs with adjusters at the bottom so it will double as a table. It can also easily slide off the hinges to be set out of the way to make loading and unloading of the trailer a little easier.
B6378568-5EE2-4453-A204-4606751F3936.jpeg
E84024F1-7808-4775-8606-FC1B785368DD.jpeg
DFE631C0-1DCF-41C2-9677-279F8E738B0C.jpeg
DCE964A5-28E3-4CC1-9E2B-F5E2FB999A82.jpeg

I highly recommend you reinforce the chit out of the swing down door and where it attaches to the frame.
My trailer has a drop down rear gate also and my youngest kid stood up on it (when he was way younger, about the same age and size as your son) and from him standing on it and using it as a platform and jumping off it, mine bent the frame a little which I had to bend back because it wasn’t shutting correctly any more.
I didn’t know what the problem was until I noticed my kid getting on it and made the connection as to why it was bent.

any way I figure you are still in the building phase and it would not take much to reinforce that area. Or maybe you already did but I figure I let you know from my experience with my trailer.

Dang man. That's looking really sweet!!! Nice work!

Uh oh! Dude, you are going to hate that Harbor Freight tongue jack with the side handle. The handle just dangles down during transport if you don't bungee it up out of the way. The reason I know this is that I have the same one. I wish I had spent a few more dollars and gotten the one that screws from the top. The handle on those can be hinged over the tongue with the handle stowed up and out of the way.

Uh oh! Dude, you are going to hate that Harbor Freight tongue jack with the side handle. The handle just dangles down during transport if you don't bungee it up out of the way. The reason I know this is that I have the same one. I wish I had spent a few more dollars and gotten the one that screws from the top. The handle on those can be hinged over the tongue with the handle stowed up and out of the way.
yeah, the pictures a few weeks old. I already got rid of it. It was just garbage on all fronts, I have one for real cheap if anyone wants one. I guess it would be ok in certain applications, but I should have known better.

I highly recommend you reinforce the chit out of the swing down door and where it attaches to the frame.
My trailer has a drop down rear gate also and my youngest kid stood up on it (when he was way younger, about the same age and size as your son) and from him standing on it and using it as a platform and jumping off it, mine bent the frame a little which I had to bend back because it wasn’t shutting correctly any more.
I didn’t know what the problem was until I noticed my kid getting on it and made the connection as to why it was bent.

any way I figure you are still in the building phase and it would not take much to reinforce that area. Or maybe you already did but I figure I let you know from my experience with my trailer.
Thanks Del. I think its sort of over built, but kids are pretty good at testing that theory. I'll take a second look at it and maybe consider how it could possibly be abused/misused and re-inforce with that in mind.

Some rear door latches, tail lights mounted. Center light is on a switch so I can turn it on when backing up, or just as an area/work light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom