Air Filters (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tachycardic

SILVER Star
Threads
Replaced my air filter with a genuine Toyota washable one tonight. The first pic shows what was in my truck and the second pic shows the washable Toyota version. Third pic is a side-by-side comparison with the Toyota one having a sturdier plastic, thinner metal grate, and yellow filter material. The Chinese one has lower-quality plastic, thicker metal grates, and an orange filter material. The Toyota was also a more snug fit inside the tuna can, whereas the Chinese one was more loose because its diameter was ever so slightly smaller.

The Chinese filter still seems to be in good condition--question is whether you think it is washable and worth keeping as a spare?

IMG_0790.JPG

IMG_0793.JPG

IMG_0792.JPG

I use a Denso disposable air filter once a year I change to a new one and that's it. They are cheap on Rockauto 9.93$

I don't see a lot of dust in the used filters, although I do not have snorkel and I drive in a super dusty environment

I'd toss it. Keeping a spare air filter for these isn't really necessary since the OEM one is washable.

I don't really get the washable filter thing. If we were stuck in the desert and the air filter were very clogged, then I guess we'd be washing them. But it seems to invite mistakes and failure, which would mean particles in the engine. That's no good.
My approach is buy a disposable Denso or Toyota filter, no other. It's a cheap, critical part.

The way the Toyota filter is built, I think it's darn near idiot-proof. No car I've ever owned has such a robust air filter.

Even with the non-washable versions, the Toyota factory manual says you can blow them out with compressed and re-install. Whether or not you choose this method is personal preference, but given what this vehicle is designed to do, it seems reasonable to do at least as an intermediate measure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom