Air bag upgrade to 2016 Toyota Tundra (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have company were I rent McPherson trench burners to contractors to burn stumps and wood debris on development projects. The burner weighs 8500-9000 lbs. I have pulled it with my tundra about 50 miles. It seemed to pull it just fine, however it squated the truck a fair amount. I pulled about 200 miles with my fathers 6.0 Chevy 2500. I find the tundra stronger with the load due to gear ratio I rearend suspension seems better on 2500

My question is could this weight effect the long term reliability of my tundra. Also I thinking about putting airbags under the tundra to offset the suspension sag. Would appreciate any insight on if I should just get a older 2500 to use ab work truck to keep from effecting the tundra.

You're either close to the "tow limit" of the vehicle or exceeding it, based on whatever model you have. I'd either beef it up (trans cooler, trailer brakes, add-a-leaf/air bag) or get a tow vehicle like you mentioned.

How much can the Tundra tow?

To your original question, I have bags on my Tundra - PO was a buddy who towed plenty & IIRC he did it for the tongue being too heavy/ poor axle placement for a trailer he towed.

I'm glad they're there as my boat is a little tongue heavy despite being a tandem axle & is a brand name trailer for the boat - I'm about a ton under your load when fully loaded for a trip, so no issue there for me though.

IDK about longterm reliability, but airbags are nice so you can adjust as needed for load, then pull some out so you don't feel like your driving on F650 leaves.

I put adjustable air springs on the rear end of every truck I've ever owned. If you haul and tow heavy things regularly the air springs will stop the rear springs from sagging overtime. My current work truck has had Firestone Rite Right adjustable air springs on it for six years. The bag still function flawlessly, even though they salt the roads heavily around here and everything is prone to rust and corrosion.

Since your load is very close to the towing capacity of the tundra I would also recommend a transmission cooler if you don't already have one in the truck. Especially if you're in a hot area or an area where you will be pulling steep hills often. Beyond that, the tundra should last longer than pretty much any other three-quarter ton around.

Does the 2016 Tundra not have a transcooler already on the Vehicle

i plan on going air in the future. everything i've read on towing forums is if you tow 7500 or more on a regular basis, you should. they're not too expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom