AHC is Done! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long time lurker...I own two LCs. A 2006 -100 Series with 250K miles (Owned for 11 Years) and a recently purchased 1987 FJ60. Well my AHC in the 100 series finally took a proverbial dump in my driveway (rusted rear line). Fluid everywhere. I know I know just fix it and move on, use the search button, yada yada yada but the other lines are rusted and look like they may go next. I've decided to take the plunge, rip out the AHC and replace with the following:
Nitro UCAs
Ironman Pro Cell Foam Shocks
OME 303001 Torsion Bars
OME 2860 Rear Coils
Trail Tailor Front Diff Drop Bracket
Going to replace the front Axles with Toyota OEM and redo the front brakes & bearings as well.

Sourcing parts from different vendors instead of a complete kit because I feel with a close to stock weight truck, this would give me the lift I want and ability to add sliders & a Dissent Aluminum Front Bumper in the near future but still have a comfy ride. Thoughts? Criticisms? I'm all ears.
396524E8-F7FE-4CCA-A35E-DEFF31F8E819.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks pretty darn nice as it sits, welcome. I don't have first hand experience with the setup you've listed so I'll let others chime in.

Thanks aging fleet...honestly loved the AHC while it lasted.

That passenger rear line always burst first, the AC line runs up near there and it drips onto it making it rust quicker than others. If the lines are rusty, it's a good call to replace it.

Good luck on getting the OME 303001 Torsion Bars, I tried for a few months and everyone is out with no supply date, everything else was available including the 860's which I also went with.

Finally ordered some Sway Away torsion bars, they ride similar to the AHC set on Medium. I am also running OME 60001 shocks from the heavy kit. I am comfortable with the ride but had I known I would need to go with the larger diameter Sway Aways I would probably have gone with OME 60000 mediums. No armor to date and will probably keep it that way.

PS, when I ordered the bars they had 14 sets in stock a month ago, I would call to have them verify stock on hand. My bars were delayed until I called and asked them to check, they showed up a few days later.

Torsion Bar Set – Toyota F100, Land Cruiser (Late Model) & LX470 Gas – Sway-A-Way | Racing Technology - https://swayaway.com/product/torsion-bar-set-toyota-f100-lc-lx470-gas/

I set my front clearance to 22" from center hub to fender lip, it looks much like your image above. At first I thought the 860's were to tall until I adjusted the front to the 22" setting then it all came together, I have remove my third row jump seats.

Last edited:
Long time lurker...I own two LCs. A 2006 -100 Series with 250K miles (Owned for 11 Years) and a recently purchased 1987 FJ60. Well my AHC in the 100 series finally took a proverbial dump in my driveway (rusted rear line). Fluid everywhere. I know I know just fix it and move on, use the search button, yada yada yada but the other lines are rusted and look like they may go next. I've decided to take the plunge, rip out the AHC and replace with the following:
Nitro UCAs
Ironman Pro Cell Foam Shocks
OME 303001 Torsion Bars
OME 2860 Rear Coils
Trail Tailor Front Diff Drop Bracket
Going to replace the front Axles with Toyota OEM and redo the front brakes & bearings as well.

Sourcing parts from different vendors instead of a complete kit because I feel with a close to stock weight truck, this would give me the lift I want and ability to add sliders & a Dissent Aluminum Front Bumper in the near future but still have a comfy ride. Thoughts? Criticisms? I'm all ears.View attachment 2793377
Sad :rolleyes: -- but understandable and your LC100 still lives, begins a new life!!

Been there, and recently did 2 switches. In early July, my AHC lines burst and dumped all the fluid on the rear passenger side. I went with a switch over to LC suspension with a mix of used (Springs & TBs from FBM) and new (Shocks from McGeorge). I was really happy with this setup. I lose the AHC controls (bitter-sweet) but the ride was just a bit stiffer than being all softy. A month later, IM announced their Fall sale, and recently ( 2 weeks back) got the stage 2 foam cell pro setup. I have also added an IM front bumper and a home made rear storage setup made of plywood, that I bought from a friend. My LX is getting built up in prep for a multi-month cross country trip that is in the plans for late summer-fall of '22. Hence the decision to go with IM. The ride has been awesome so far. It is firm, and yet comfortable. I hope to get the LX on the trails soon to give it a good shakedown. I haven't yet installed the diff drop, but except for a slightly turned steering wheel, and a pull to the right, I have not felt any other bad symptoms. Hope to get the diff drop installed soon and have a front alignment done as well to fix these.

My decision to go with a package setup from IM was to (1) avail their sale pricing, (2) one-stop shopping, and (3) immediate availability.

when you say rip out the AHC you mean you took all the components out? If so how was that task?

I’ve been on the fence on this topic and whether to go IM or Dobinsons. I don’t plan on a lot of extra weight and easy to moderate off road use. I would appreciate any advice on this decision?

Good luck on getting the OME 303001 Torsion Bars, I tried for a few months and everyone is out with no supply date, everything else was available including the 860's which I also went with.

Finally ordered some Sway Away torsion bars, they ride similar to the AHC set on Medium. I am also running OME 60001 shocks from the heavy kit. I am comfortable with the ride but had I known I would need to go with the larger diameter Sway Aways I would probably have gone with OME 60000 mediums. No armor to date and will probably keep it that way.

PS, when I ordered the bars they had 14 sets in stock a month ago, I would call to have them verify stock on hand. My bars were delayed until I called and asked them to check, they showed up a few days later.

Torsion Bar Set – Toyota F100, Land Cruiser (Late Model) & LX470 Gas – Sway-A-Way | Racing Technology - https://swayaway.com/product/torsion-bar-set-toyota-f100-lc-lx470-gas/

I set my front clearance to 22" from center hub to fender lip, it looks much like your image above. At first I thought the 860's were to tall until I adjusted the front to the 22" setting then it all came together, I have remove my third row jump seats.
Thanks for the tips! Slee had had the OMEs in stock.

Been there, and recently did 2 switches. In early July, my AHC lines burst and dumped all the fluid on the rear passenger side. I went with a switch over to LC suspension with a mix of used (Springs & TBs from FBM) and new (Shocks from McGeorge). I was really happy with this setup. I lose the AHC controls (bitter-sweet) but the ride was just a bit stiffer than being all softy. A month later, IM announced their Fall sale, and recently ( 2 weeks back) got the stage 2 foam cell pro setup. I have also added an IM front bumper and a home made rear storage setup made of plywood, that I bought from a friend. My LX is getting built up in prep for a multi-month cross country trip that is in the plans for late summer-fall of '22. Hence the decision to go with IM. The ride has been awesome so far. It is firm, and yet comfortable. I hope to get the LX on the trails soon to give it a good shakedown. I haven't yet installed the diff drop, but except for a slightly turned steering wheel, and a pull to the right, I have not felt any other bad symptoms. Hope to get the diff drop installed soon and have a front alignment done as well to fix these.

My decision to go with a package setup from IM was to (1) avail their sale pricing, (2) one-stop shopping, and (3) immediate availability.
Sounds like a great build and epic trip!

when you say rip out the AHC you mean you took all the components out? If so how was that task?
I haven't ripped out anything yet. It's currently at a buddy's shop until all my parts come in. There are some informative threads on AHC removal and even info on YouTube. Will let you know how it goes.

If you do the aluminum front bumper (awesome choice, btw, love my Dissent aluminum front) with no winch you might find the OME bars too stiff. If you can snag some LC non-AHC torsion bars that might be a better fit.
This was probably the way to go... I'm hoping it's not too harsh of a ride. BTW love your key fobs. Grabbed 2 a while back during one of your sales.

Last edited:
That passenger rear line always burst first, the AC line runs up near there and it drips onto it making it rust quicker than others. If the lines are rusty, it's a good call to replace it.
The drivers side actually went first on mine but but the passenger side looked like it was next. Fronts not far behind either. I do a lot of beach driving and live in the NY so with the salt on the roads it was bound to happen. I've always rinsed the underside of my trucks after the beach which goes a long way in these parts.

Last edited:
I haven't ripped out anything yet. It's currently at a buddy's shop until all my parts come in. There are some informative threads on AHC removal and even info on YouTube. Will let you know how it goes.
Cool I'm curious if it gets too the point where I need to switch over to conventional suspension I'd like to remove as much of the related stuff as possible

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom