AGM considerations for 2022 GX460 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am aware of the higher voltage charging requirements for AGM vs std led acid vehicle batteries. I plan to upgrade my battery to an AGM deep cycle battery. Is the charging circuitry the same on all model year GXs? Assuming the alternator is not able to provide the proper charging voltage for AGM, any recommendations on voltage boosters?

Specifically, I am looking at this triple boost voltage booster from ArcLightLED

Can anyone confirm that this part, designed for certain model year 4Runners, will work in the GX460? And a 2022 GX460 specifically?

I just carry a Li-ion jump starter kit nowadays. Can use it on multiple cars. :meh:

If it were me, I'd just put an AGM in it and be done. I had a set last ten years in my Excursion that hardly ever saw 14v from the alternator., and they still worked fine when I replaced them. I would throw them on an Odyssey charger sometimes, but that was just because the thing would often sit for weeks between drives in the winter.

FUD is the primary tool of sales people to transfer money from your pocket to theirs.

Mark

Odyssey and other AGM manufactures don't actually recommend the voltage booster - they advertise the batteries as bolt-in. That being said, I have one in my GX470 ($25 eBay diode booster). It successfully burned out several of my cheap LED bulbs....so they aren't without their shortcomings. I'm still not sure it's providing any tangible benefit as the battery worked fine before and after.

If you have a concern on the voltage, you can pick up a battery tester that checks SOH and SOC (including CA and CCA) for $30 or so on Amazon, then a NoCo Genius charger for around $30-40, for periodic checks and top-offs. The NoCo genius is a awesome little charger and revived the Odyssey AGM in our camper that was totally drained an inadvertently sat for a couple months in that state.

After I added lights and such to my GX, I upgraded to an Odyssey Extreme. My mechanic said just keep them topped off from time to time with a trickle charger and you shouldn't have any issues with longevity or performance. Probably not worth adding a $25 booster to a $50k+ car.

Same, I have a Odysset Extreme in my dedicated trail rig, sits for weeks- months at a time never a problem it's 5 years old.
The one battery runs my fridge, winch, lights, on board compressor and all the regular car stuff. Lover it, it kicks ass
And were talking a old school stock alternator 1994

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom