Aftermarket radiator thoughts. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My cooling system needs an overhaul. installing an ARB front bumper over the stock one caused the truck to run hot.

I've already ordered a blue hub fan clutch, a tstat, tstat gasket and the 3 radiator hoses.

I also ordered an aftermarket radiator for the truck. The company that I ordered it from stated that it was all metal and copper/brass.

What showed up today is aluminum with plastic tanks. :bang:

Apparently, the Customer service person who clicked the order link clicked this one by accident. When i called back today to complain, the customer service guy stated that the cooling capacity of the 2 radiators is the same. Through reading all of the different cooling threads on mud, it seems to me that even oem radiator for oem radiator that the copper/brass radiators cool better.

The manufacturer of this radiator is Spectra Premium.

The retailer that sold me the radiator charged me $197 for this one. The copper/brass one is $252. Is it worth it to make them send a copper/brass radiator for the difference?

Thanks!

There is another difference between the two OEM rads, the aluminum one is two core while the other is three. Aluminum conducts better, but more cores gives the radiator more surface area, increasing its cooling capacity. I've never seen a definitive number on which one actually cools better in some sort of test, in my opinion I'd rather have more area than better conductivity.

My point is that you need to know more about the two rads you are comparing to make an informed decision. Type of metal isn't the only consideration.

Here are the specs on the aftermarket one that i have. I know it is not brass/copper. The reseller also said that their specs say what i have is single row.

Core Material : Copper Tank Material : Brass Row No : 2 Core Height : 16 3/4" Core Width : 28 1/4" Core Depth : 1 1/16" Inlet Header : 2 1/4" x 29 1/8" Outlet Header : 2 1/4" x 29 1/8" Inlet : 1 1/2" Outlet : 1 5/8" Eoc : None Toc : 15 3/8" (Concentric) Notes : -

These are the specs on the CSF radiator that is $50 more.

Core Size 16-3/4 x 28-1/4 x 2-1/16
Tank Size Inlet 29-1/8 x 2-1/4
Outlet 29-1/8 x 2-1/4
Hose Fittings Top 1-1/2 Left
Bottom 1-5/8 Right
No of Rows 3
Oil Cooler 15-3/8 in.
Tech. Note Rugged ALL METAL model.

Those specs (in post #3) say copper/brass. If the rad in your hand is aluminum, the specs are wrong and you can't trust anything they say. By 'what I have' are you referring to the new one, or your original that you are replacing? I wouldn't run a single row (core) in anything, but I live in a hot climate. I don't think Toyota put a single row radiator in any 80 in the US, but I could be wrong.

Your other problem is that buying any aftermarket radiator is a crap shoot. OEM is known to be a quality product. I replaced one of my radiators with a Koyo aftermarket which I am happy with, but I only have 2 years of use to form an opinion with. OEM is known to go 10 years or better. Many people relate horror stories of aftermarket rads going bad within the first year. I've heard several of those stories on this board specifically about 'all metal' radiators, so that's not going to guarantee anything.

Yeah i'm returning the new one that i have. I've been on the phone with these jokers off and on all afternoon about this thing.

the specs on the manufacturer's website don't match what is sitting here and it is the same part number.

The first salesguy that i talked to said the CSF radiator was $50 more, now the salesguy that i just talked to said that they are the same price.

I'm over it and making them just come get the damn thing.

you'd think people actually wanted business!

Your other problem is that buying any aftermarket radiator is a **** shoot. OEM is known to be a quality product. I replaced one of my radiators with a Koyo aftermarket which I am happy with, but I only have 2 years of use to form an opinion with. OEM is known to go 10 years or better. Many people relate horror stories of aftermarket rads going bad within the first year. I've heard several of those stories on this board specifically about 'all metal' radiators, so that's not going to guarantee anything.

is the koyo that you have an aluminum 3 row with plastic tanks?

No, it's a brass 3 row. I believe their aluminum one is 2 row, just like OEM, but I'm not positive. At the time I purchased it, they did have both. The aluminum one was more expensive IIRC.

Except for a few molded codes and marks, I could not tell the difference between the Koyo and the OEM.

As mentioned above the OEM brass is not only 3-row vs 2-row but it's also easier on the wallet. There's an older thread where the Shaman mentions why Mr T changed to the aluminum....part of the weight reduction effort that occured with the 95 models. There's also a thread that examines the overall cooling surface of both.

The Koyo and OEM rads are made by the same company called "TRAD" which stands for Toyota Radiator. On the older Land Cruisers, it actually used to say "Toyota Radiator" on them stamped in the metal.

Both are made by TRAD and are the same part number: 16400-66040

TRAD is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Toyota Motor Corporation.

The Koyo and OEM rads are made by the same company called "TRAD" which stands for Toyota Radiator.

Wow. I suspected it, but didn't fully believe. I think those footsteps you hear are Dan walking towards your cubby with a pink slip in his hand. :D

Wow. I suspected it, but didn't fully believe. I think those footsteps you hear are Dan walking towards your cubby with a pink slip in his hand. :D

Personally, I prefer the Toyota radiator that actually comes in a Toyota box with the actual Toyota part number sticker on it.

This tells me that it is genuine and guaranteed. That to me is worth the extra few duckets.

That said, not all Koyo rads are made by TRAD. IIRC, car model ones are not, and most of the vehicles made in the US do not have TRAD radiators. IIRC, only the Japanese produced vehicles.

I'll check on this.

I went through 2 aftermarket radiators but I found out it was due to a blown HG. Now I have I think a Spectra Prem. also. I got it from O'rilley's and it has a lifetime warranty so I never need to buy another. Have only had it for 1 year but seems fine so far. Fitment is a little worse than OEM but that's to be expected. If I pull the front shaft and run 2wd the motor torques just enough for 1 fan blade to hit the shroud and scare you.

i called another distributor and they confirmed that the koyo aluminum rad with plastic tanks that i'm looking at is indeed 3 row. It's over $100 less than the OEM radiator. the spectra one is going to get returned on monday. I really wish that GDI hadn't declared bankruptcy. I really like their product and have had excellent results in jeeps that i've owned with them. oh well, i need to get a rad in my hands within the next week so i have time to do a bunch of work to the truck before a trip.

.....it has a lifetime warranty so I never need to buy another.

Yeah, we went through three "lifetime warrantied" aftermarket reman smog pumps on my FJ60 within two years. Didn't have to buy another one, but had to remove and replace it multiple times. Oh, and it would seize up in the worst of situations. Sometimes the lifetime warranties are not of much value when you consider the big picture. We ultimately paid the big money for the OEM pump. I sleep better knowing that the Toyota part is not going to leave me stranded.

If it were a ten minute job to change, I'd roll the dice, but it takes a while to swap radiators in this rig. I'd be a bit chafed if I had to do that twice in a year.

Admittedly, there are some aftermarket items that are equal or better than OE, but usually they don't represent a cost savings.

YMMV !

Keep the Cruiser Faith !!

Last edited:
The Koyo and OEM rads are made by the same company called "TRAD" which stands for Toyota Radiator. On the older Land Cruisers, it actually used to say "Toyota Radiator" on them stamped in the metal.

Appreciate that insight. Was wondering why my "new from CDan" rad had a TRAD sticker on it, and not a Toyota one.

That said, why aren't more folks buying Koyo rads? Is there much pricing difference?

In my BMW, I used to buy the Behr units, which is the OEM supplier, and never had an issue. Part did cost about 40% less, though !!

Appreciate that insight. Was wondering why my "new from CDan" rad had a TRAD sticker on it, and not a Toyota one.

That said, why aren't more folks buying Koyo rads? Is there much pricing difference?

In my BMW, I used to buy the Behr units, which is the OEM supplier, and never had an issue. Part did cost about 40% less, though !!

My Koyo was about $200 less than OEM. Like others said, time will tell on the longevity. In my case I hope the rest last as long as the radiator.

But are Koyo's still available? After explicitly specifying that I only wanted a Koyo, I recently ordered one from Performance Radiator for my '97. But what showed up on my doorstep was not a Koyo, but another brand made from aluminum. I complained to the same person I ordered from, and she later called back to say Koyo's weren't available any longer. They refunded my money without a hassle and I ended up buying an OEM from CDan.

But are Koyo's still available? After explicitly specifying that I only wanted a Koyo, I recently ordered one from Performance Radiator for my '97. But what showed up on my doorstep was not a Koyo, but another brand made from aluminum. I complained to the same person I ordered from, and she later called back to say Koyo's weren't available any longer. They refunded my money without a hassle and I ended up buying an OEM from CDan.

partsgeek.com shows 2 different koyo's in stock. a 3 row aluminum and a 3 row copper, both have plastic tanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom