after market sub woofer install on lx450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lx450landcruiser

Threads
here's some pics of what i did. its not built in like i wanted to do but its easy in and out and it sounds good.
i got a line converter and plugged it into the factory 4 inch sub woofer plug. that converts the signal to RCA then the RCA plugs into he back of the amp and then all i did was run a 8 gauge hot wire from the battery to the amp and a ground. the amp then has the 4 out puts to the sub that's sealed in a ported box. the box can be plugged and unplugged because i wired it through a 4 prong trailer plug that mounts flush with the side panel. the amp is mounted into he rear panel on a board a made that bolts up to all the factory holes. if any one needs any details let me know or if there's enough interest ill do a write up if there's some place to host it?
mike

So the amp is custom mounted to the rear, and the sub is in the box sitting on the rear floor?

-Matt

yeah you cant see the amp at all all you have is a plug comming out of the rear pannel on the right and the box. when you have to pack the cruiser up and need all the space you just un plug it and take it out.

Nice.

So are you able to button up the rear panel all clean like? My amps just sitting in the rear under the lay-in carpet. Kind of bush league.

I tried to tap into the signal out of the back of the factory head unit and common ground signal with my converter, but wasn't able to get it the work, so ended up tapping into rear speakers - post factory amp signal. I thinking I may be getting to much distortion by tapping into the post factory amp signal. Did you take out the factory amp and sub?

I'm not sure I know how to tap into the 4" sub connector like you've described.

Thanks,
Rookie2

i had to shave the back of the plastic pannel to get it to fit and i also have to get some slightly longer clipps for the top to pop in but other then that it fit right back up. you also have to opo the little cubby off the back but its just held on by plasic rivits.
as for the sub i took out the factory sub and box which left me alot of room. the facotry sub has two wires going to it and the line converter has 4 wires one for left and one for right like you have yours wired up. i just spliced the left and right together and the grounds together and then hooked it up to the factory wires. i left the factory amp in and everything else and its sounds great. Tons of power and i also mounted a switch so i can kill the sub and still listen to the stereo in case i dont want all that boom.

Sounds like a cool install, but why not just mount the amp to back of the sub box, seems like you'd save alot of work. And you can still unplug and remove it when needed. Run the wires under the carpet. Were you looking for increased theft prevention? Or did you have time on ya hands and get to thinking...usually when I get too much time on my hands something happens to the cruiser...

-Matt

i got the 500 watt amp so its got 4 out puts i tried to bridge the amp but i was confused by the whole thing so i just ran 4 wires. i mounted it there becasue its got alot of boom and if i mount it to the box thats aloo of vibration and heat in one place. nopt to mention if you run the wires under the carpet its kinda anyoing and theres a power wire, ground wire that would have to go to the body, and a switch wire as well so thats alot of wires to just throw around.

Is it now mandatory to wear your baseball hat sideways? :flipoff2:

I have a lot of crap behind my rear quarter panel too, like the ARB compressor, sub and true sinewave inverter with hardwired GFCI outlets and 12v's. :D

Gotcha, I have only seen your style install in show cars and stuff. If an amp is mounted to the back (outside) of the box spacers are required to help w/ the heat issue, and done properly it will be very sturdy and not vibrate lose or anything. Anyways sounds like ya setup is perfect for what you wanted, so congrats! Now go buy a bass tester cd..... ::)

-Matt

lx450..

So you're picking up the signal after it passes through the factory amp. too? It's been said this doesn't get the most out of you equipment. I guess if it sounds good, that's all that matters.

Rookie2

i am running it through the facotry amp but the amp puts out 55 watts to the factory sub so its not a whole lot plus the stock speackers tend tyo be higher pitched with out the facotry pluged in so it works out nicely wit the sub booming. i can also have total control over how much bass i want by doing it this way becasue the bass control on the head unit still works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom