Advice Wanted: FJ40 + HJ61 RHD + LHD (1 Viewer)

Thoughts?

• 40 Body on 61 Frame

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone. I am swapping a 12HT diesel into my FJ40 (this is my third swap so Ive got that part covered).

Heres what I need help with:

I am using a donor HJ61 from japan, which is right hand drive. The FJ40 is American, left hand drive.
I want to use the entire drivetrain from the HJ61. (Engine, Trans, T-Case, Axles, Brakes, Cable Lockers, and power steering)

I have two options:
A: remove the entire drivetrain from the HJ61 frame, and modify it to fit unto/under the 40.
- This would require new perch's on the axles, converting the axle tie-rod system to steer from the left, mounting the power steering box to the other side of the frame, shortening the tie rod to fit the narrower FJ40 frame, build mounts for the engine and Transfer case, develope a linkage from the FJ40 steering wheel to the HJ61 steering box.

B: Put the FJ40 body on the HJ61 frame and drivetrain
- This would require shortening the frame and rear drive shaft, fabricating body mounts for the body, converting the steering system to left hand drive as above.

If I am missing anything absolutely critical please let me know.
What would your approach be?
Has anyone done anything like this before?

As of now, I am leaning towards putting the body on the HJ61 frame. The only major thing I would have to change would be the right hand to left hand steering conversion, which I would have to do regardless, and the body mounts/frame chop which are super easy.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Pic for fun.
IMG_5926.JPG

Nah, we could swap parts - I buy a mint RHD from Japan and we both convert.
Automatic is easier than manual.
What?
I already have the HJ61 from Japan. And I dont really need to swap any parts. And I dont want an automatic hahaha.
Thanks for the offer though.

This is an interesting idea and one that would be a cool truck upon completion. I take it the 61 body is not in good shape or maybe not a fan of them since both options point to the 40 body. I personally have not shortened/lengthened a frame, but have watched my son and a friend do it in my barn on their builds. There is nothing easy or quick about this process unless your a professional welder and that will minimize the difficulty part. It will still take some time and it seems to go on and on and on :). Also, it’s a lot of work with no benefit suspension wise. This is the main reason folks use 80 frames. My 2 cents would be to use the 40 frame and body, mount the drivetrain and then get 70 axles (not as wide as 60’s) and upgrade the steering box system with a mini truck or 60 system.

I don’t provide suggestions (out of courtesy) unless asked, but I’d hate to see you get so deep into a pretty difficult job and did not give any consideration to to keeping the 40 together. That looks like a really nice truck and a transplant is so much less invasive.
Good luck which ever way you go and look forward to watching along.

my search continues as I really want an HJ61... Differences between good dry HJ61's in Southern Europe and the ones for sale Japan/ Australia are huge. basically one can buy a right hand drive for half the price in similar shape. shareit vidmate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom