Advice on MOTOR rebuild for Warn XD9000i (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have 2 old XD9000i winches. They haven't been used in a decade. Both have some internal corrosion.
I have taken one apart, and cleaned up gears, brake, spool. With some effort I got the brushes moveable, and I lightly cleaned the corrosion off the armature.
There appears to be paper insulation between the field windings and the motor housing. Unfortunately I have not been able to loosen the slotted bolts that hold the field windings in place. I'd like to get the field windings out, remove rust from the inside of housing, and replace that insulation. I've sprayed the bolts with Liquid Wrench over a several day period, but cannot budge them with an impact driver & hammer.
I contacted Warn, but their only suggestion was to take it to a local starter rebuild place. I tried one, it wasn't much help. I'll try others. A local jeep facebook group had no helpful suggestions. I've sent an email to Bosch (the motor manufacture), no answer yet.
I've done resistance checks, and the armature & windings are good. I see no reason why I can't get the motor working again.
Has anyone had this problem?
Any suggestions to get the bolts out?
If I drill them out, is there a source for new ones (preferably with torx or allen head sockets)?
Thanks,
Al
Housing1.jpg

Housing2.jpg

Brushes.jpg

Armature1.jpg

Armature2.jpg

Have you been able to spray your penetrant from the inside and actually apply it to the threads? I can’t remember if those threads are exposed or not but I believe they are. Either way, keep spraying with some good stuff and they will come out.

Get some Kroil if you can...or look up ‘Ed’s Red’ and make up a batch. It’s good stuff and you will use it in other applications.

Last edited:
Hey John,
I have been spraying it on the inside. There's a little dish where the bolt doesn't quite meet the metal at the center of the winding. The oil eventually sinks in.
I'll look into a different oil, thanks.

Good. Keep spraying and as you said in your post #1, use an actual penetrant not just an oil.

Look up the recipe for Ed’s Red. I think it’s great...some think it’s the very best. Good stuff will make a difference over run of the mill stuff.

Gotcha. Be careful no matter what you use. Keep after it and good luck.

Welcome to Mud! I just re-did most of my XD9000. I didn't dig into it as far as you are, as mine looked ok, and it runs. I use this stuff called Moovit that you can get at Lordco. Expensive, but a bit cheaper than Kroil. I haven't tried the Ed's Red recipe yet, but I will get around to it eventually.

Your internals look better than mine did. I had a dead motor on my Warn 9.5XPS and yesterday I priced a new one at ~$300....I figured I would take the motor apart and worst case buy a new one...... I spent hours gertting the brushes to move lubed some pieces up and reassembled it....It worked to retrieve the line I had played out when it died....I have yet to test it under load but I think it will work fine (until it gets all corroded again anyway) the windings bolts on mine (3yrs old) are star drive and I didn't muck with them.....

Just saw this thread. How is it going now? Flesh Electric in Nanaimo is where I got my WARN motor rebuild.
They do this for a living, if its' a winch motor they can re-build it. Call down, see what they say.
FLESH ELECTRIC
250-756-1391
IF you need more info let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom