Advice needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so, the body is off the frame and my garage is littered with about 100 landcruiser parts. this is my first rebuild of this magnitude, and although i am trying to do quite a bit of it by myself, there are something beyond my current ability (and the fact that i dont know how to weld!). so i want to get any local AZ opinions on good shops in the area. specifically, can anyone comment on good shops in the following areas:

ENGINE: anybody have any experience with Five Star Engines in peoria? i am thinking of having them build up a small block v8 for me. any other opinions out there?

BODY: i dont have a ton of rust, but i have enough that a few panels will need to be replaced. i dont want to bondo it all up, so i need some advice on finding a shop that will do quality steel work.

SANDBLASTING/HOT TANK/POWDERCOATING: the do-it-yourself method with the air compressor is ok for small stuff, but i wanted to have the frame done by someone with a more industrial setup. any favorites you guys have?

EXHAUST: i have heard that mighty muffler up on cave creek is good. any other suggestions?

i know this is a lot to ask, but any help would be greatly appreciated. now i gotta get off the computer and attempt to reassemble my transfer case!

thanks guys,

brian

how bad is the tub? and how far from running r u?
if ya want ill do some welding for ya if its semi soon.
i live in prescott az and i have a 220 mig welder i did all my own body work.

i will be leaving in about a month though so i dunno about time.

mike

the body is off the frame, just sitting there. i have been focusing on the engine, transmission, drivetrain, frame, etc.

i havent ordered any panels or anything because i wasnt sure of the best approach. how do you know when something can be fixed vs. replaced?

anyway, i would love to take you up on your offer, but i dont have anyway to get the body up there at the moment. i am sure at some point i will have to find a way to transport it somewhere, but until then, it just sits there taking up space.

mattcrandle said:
EXHAUST: i have heard that mighty muffler up on cave creek is good. any other suggestions?
brian

If it were me, I would not need any other suggestions. It's the only place I would go.

no experience with five star, but i have heard positives through various means so they are at least reputable. if your not going to do a HP build perhaps a good option would be to get a low'ish mileage engine from a wreck?? i will probly go this route myself.

i can think of a couple places to do good body work, but they are hot rod type shops and spendy, other than that i dont know of anything, sheesh when you see my rig you'll understand why.

northside sandblasting does all kinds of work and he is always looking for more (good price)

mighty muffler is a good shop, check them out.

RE: advice

thanks for all of the opinions so far. trying to find good shops via the internet is like rolling dice, so fellow cruiserhead's opinions and experiences are helping me out a ton!

while i am at it, anybody know of a good local place to get a transmission rebuilt? i was thinking of doing this myself, but if somebody knows a good shop that does good work, maybe i will let the pros handle it.

thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom