Advice needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you really want a performance bump, run non-ethanol 90. Around here, its the same price as 93 oct w/10% ethanol.

Ethanol free gas is very regional or localized. Around here I can get it near marinas but that's about it. I'll try a tank and see what happens. I can also get 100 octane with lead on the way to Summit Raceway park but I'm not putting that in the FJC.

I know a lot of guys have reported they have no access to ethanol free fuel.

speaking of ethanol free- I know a bunch of 80 guys who will drive out of their way to get ethanol free gas. I swear they know where every ethanol free pump in the state is located. I get the older vehicle aren't made to run on it and i understand the benefit of buying it for gas cans that might sit for a while...

Any reason i should be running it in the FJC? The owners manual says ethanol is fine and new vehicles are ok with it?

any thoughts?

There's an app for that (ethanol free fuel finder.). No real reason to drive out of your way for it on modern vehicle. There is about 3 percent more energy per gallon so theoretically your mileage should be better all things considered.

On 1990 or older the vehicle would benefit from ethanol free.

'91 FJ80 287k miles Not running right now.... Been through everything on the fuel system and have great clean fuel pressure at the rail. I have no Fire on the plug when removed. Had a buddy pull codes out of the ECM and have no RPM signal when cranking. Have been told that there is no crank position sensor on a 3fe. I have new spark mod, coil, distributor, wires, plugs, button and cap. I think its the ECM need to get it remanned or find a good used one. Hit me at mwilkins65@gmail.com if you have any ideas.

Got some near my office now!
IMG_4398.JPG

I just recently purchased a 2008 TT. I have run both 87 and 91. I would highly recommend the 91 if going up grades or pulling anything- Colorado so we have lots of grades. On the flats there is no huge difference.
Now that I changed the plugs I will run a tank of each and check mileage, but driving patterns aeffect more than the octane rating in my opinion.
For those that guess,
TT options: Color, black out mirrors, door handles and bumpers, TRD rims-exhaust-cold air intake. Skid plates front and rear, badges, floor mats with more badges, and all options including sub woofer, inverter and locker. Mine also came with a grill guard and FJ lights.

It takes a tank of gas for the engine control module (computer) to adapt and alter the mix to avoid engine knock. So you'd have a better test if you ran two tanks of each back to back: two at 89, then check MPGs on the second tank, then two on 91 and check the MPGs on the second tank.

When I first picked up my 07 fjc I would keep a log of how much fuel and mileage each tank got and what type of fuel I did it every tank for the first 30k miles or so when it was my daily driver. I did notice a few mpg difference in premium and low octane so I mostly put premium in it. I now only run non-ethanol 89 in it since I don't drive it as often. The non-ethanol gas is supposed to last a few months longer
These aren't the type of vehicle to be bought for gas milage.

If your looking for a white FJC I would look for a newer model year and low millage. The white fjc is my favorite color but when I bought mine in 09 I remember only one being avail in the whole country for about a month and it was more than a thousand miles away.
The trail teams come with cool badges and color combos and wheels that are unique to each year and look great but most all of the features like lockers and atrac are available in and in most fjcs. So one can always buy a badge and wheel of choice if you are going for the trail teams look.

The 2010 saw the most improvements from the past year I believe and the very late models had the crawl control feature. I dont know enough about the system to comment on it but one can probably become pretty educated watching youtubes on it

One thing I would do is check the 4 low and make sure the locker engages even if you have to do it on concrete and not drive anywhere. Some have had problems with a transfer case sensor going bad or not making contact and the computer will not let the locker engage or the locker will have a hard time engaging if it hasn't been used in a very long time. I had this problem and had to take my interior apart to pull the tcase lever out a few years back to access the top of the tcase without dropping it. A simple wiggle of the switch fixed it but some have reported dealers charging upwards of a grand to fix this with a new switch due to the labor involved to get to it from dropping the tcase.

They are great vehicles but I HATE driving mine on the interstate. I cringe every time a big rig jumps in front of me thinking will this be the end for this windshield. My wife thinks I over exaggerate this and on the last road trip with her while I was talking about it pop-chip in glass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom