Advice needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a chance to buy a 2008 FJ Trail Teams, and I have read about problems with the inner fenders. Owner to update me on condition of those in question.
Should I stay away from the 2008 and look at 2010? Or be comfortable with the 2008.

Thanks

2008 is fine. The inner fender cracking has been blown way out of proportion IMO.

Do you plan on wheeling hard? If so, I'd throw more weight towards a 2010 or newer model as they have the 8.2" rear end (pre-10 is 8")

2008 is fine. The inner fender cracking has been blown way out of proportion IMO.

Do you plan on wheeling hard? If so, I'd throw more weight towards a 2010 or newer model as they have the 8.2" rear end (pre-10 is 8")

No plan for hard wheeling-Im an old retired guy. Just occasional dirt driving.

youll be fine, the inner finder thing was only early early models...id buy a 2010 plus because its not premium only like the 2008. there is alot of other things i would worry about before the inner fenders cracking.

youll be fine, the inner finder thing was only early early models...id buy a 2010 plus because its not premium only like the 2008. there is alot of other things i would worry about before the inner fenders cracking.
Only 1500 2010 TT made. Kind of a unicorn.
What should I be concerned with on a 2008? 100k miles

Id be more concerned with the overall condition of it. you know that usual stuff..was it wheeled in its past..maintence...at 100k I would think the inner fender thing would have appeared if it was going to. i had a throwout bearing chirp..but that was easily fixed. there's about zero documented cases of it actually failing, its just annoying.

The Trail Teams is just the badge for the most part, Oh and Toyota charges you extra for the "black out package"...they dont paint the plastic and charge you more. it looks good but its just funny to me. You do get the locker and atrac with the package and its 4wd. Because they made 2wd FJCs for whatever stupid reason

I drive a SUPER UNICORN! 2010 trail teams with a 6Mt! so rare theres only 4 other 2010 TTs in my hometown of 50k.

Id be more concerned with the overall condition of it. you know that usual stuff..was it wheeled in its past..maintence...at 100k I would think the inner fender thing would have appeared if it was going to. i had a throwout bearing chirp..but that was easily fixed. there's about zero documented cases of it actually failing, its just annoying.

The Trail Teams is just the badge for the most part, Oh and Toyota charges you extra for the "black out package"...they dont paint the plastic and charge you more. it looks good but its just funny to me. You do get the locker and atrac with the package and its 4wd. Because they made 2wd FJCs for whatever stupid reason

I drive a SUPER UNICORN! 2010 trail teams with a 6Mt! so rare theres only 4 other 2010 TTs in my hometown of 50k.
Congrats on unicorn. Manuals are in my past.
Owner sent a pic and it looks to be a tear and fixed/painted. Can't be sure. Think I'll move on.

there are a couple of 2013 TT's on fj cruiser forum, expect to pay a premium..like over MSRP premium

Last edited:
2010+ gets a pretty significant boost to power as well. It does require 91+ octane to map to the 272hp. But it's certainly noticeable.

There is also other upgrades to steering and other items. Also I believe they changed how the A-TRAC and locker combination works.

the early early models cannot run atrac up front with locked rear without modding the wiring..early models also cannot completely turn off the traction control and stability control in 2H/4H. but again, someone on the internet figured out how to mod the wiring . i thnk that IIRC it changed in 2009? but after that they come from the factory with these abilities

2010+ gets a pretty significant boost to power as well. It does require 91+ octane to map to the 272hp. But it's certainly noticeable.

There is also other upgrades to steering and other items. Also I believe they changed how the A-TRAC and locker combination works.

Last edited:
1GRE-FE engines in 2007 -2009 models run on regular octane gas just fine. The premium octane label was a mistake in the early models and Toyota clarified that later.

Not doubting you at all.....but I'm kind of uptight about such things. Can you site a source? That's a significant chunk of change at each fill up. Thx.

Toyota bulletin.

The ECU will adjust timing based upon the fuel used.

2072d1150381737-toyota-bulletin-using-regular-gas-anyone-seen-premium-vs-regular.jpg

I can say on the 1GRE-FE dual vvti that premium makes a big difference. And since it takes usually a full tank to cycle it, it sucks when you don't use premium (like when your wife borrow your car and put 85 in :cry:)

hmmm....thats interesting.. now i feel bad for spreading bad info:frown:

It's not you spreading incorrect info if Toyota put a sticker on the fuel door. I think my 2008 has the "Premium Fuel Only" sticker. For the cost delta I'm going to try a few tanks of the cheap stuff and see what happens. A little less power for me is no problem unless I'm towing the camper - in which case I can dump in the good stuff. I'll just have to listen for pinging.

Thanks all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom