Advice needed please...this doesn't look right... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all...happy newyear!....need some advice/help

was looking over the wifeys 100 and noticed this on the drivers side...it is somewhat loose where i can slide it in or out

gonna pull her into the garage and jack her up (the 100 not the wife) and pull the tire to get a better looksee

any links to info on what this is? what keyword should i search for on this site?

thanks!
bill
phpLBBALzPM.jpg
phpP3tTEPPM.jpg

C-clip is missing on the end of the axle.

thanks Trunk!!...is she ok to drive till i get it sorted?

could i assume i can pop tire off and remove the 6 screws on that cap that covers the bearing etc and see it in there?

I wouldn't drive it. You're correct, remove the drive flange and put on a new clip. You maybe have to push the tire in to get the groove the clip goes in exposed.

Already garaged and lifted...Thanks for the advice!!

Do i need to get a factory part or is this something generic I can grab at autozone?

I had similar situation with my Surf, but then the CV was broken. :)
That's what you get when you try to get up a hill the hard way.

that happened to mine, discovered it when we went to change the cv. Turns out the clip would not fit the new cv, also turns out there are three sizes of clip available....

that happened to mine, discovered it when we went to change the cv. Turns out the clip would not fit the new cv, also turns out there are three sizes of clip available....

Toyota procedure recommends that you measure the gap and buy the appropriate C clip for your application. As tolerances and variances are different car to car, this makes good sense.

thanks for the help...clip was in the grease cap...

Boze man, now that the problem has been found, and assumably fixed, can you describe what led you to notice the problem in the first place? Sloppy steering? Wheel wobble? Sounds?

Last edited by a moderator:
Whomever last did your CV probably re-used the c-clips. If you don't have the right pliers they can be a little tricky.

IIRC, the sizes go from around 1.8 up to 2.8 in 0.2mm increments. From the factory (AFAIK) mine was 2.4 on the DS and 2.2 on the PS. I bought two of each size in the entire range to have on hand before I pulled my first shaft. With the CV out you can gap them in the groove and as long as your cv stub goes in all the way it will be the right size. Be absolutely certain they're fully seated. I tap on mine to make sure it's down in the groove. I'd also recommend always having one extra boot on hand when doing CV's as I've torn one before.

Also, since yours has been exposed for a while, it's likely that water/crud has made it at least into the needle bearing. I'd for sure service that.

Boze man, now that the problem has been found, and assumably fixed, can you describe what led you to notice the problem in the first place? Sloppy steering? Wheel wobble? Sounds?

actually all 3...i dont normally drive the 100 so when i do i notice changes...there was a road noise that sounded like a bump on the tire (thought maybe was a nail) that i could not identify...also front has a bit of slop/play in the steerin...

yes it is fixed for now...i ended up checkin both wheels...this weekend i am goin to pop the flanges and check the bearings etc

Also, since yours has been exposed for a while, it's likely that water/crud has made it at least into the needle bearing. I'd for sure service that.

thanks for the tip!...will give it a looksee...she is due for some TLC

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom