Advice for a friend (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A friend of mine is trying to decide between the purchase of a 2001 100 series with 55K miles for $34K and a new Toyota Forerunner with the 4.7 V-8 and the sport suspension for around the same $$. The Forerunner is really well built and the same size as our FJ80's plus it has the new 5 speed transmission and a 9 crossmember reinforced frame. The LC has more luxury (leather, etc.) plus its a landcruiser. I told him I think that makes it higher quality. I would like to supply him with some of your thoughts before he makes this decision in the next few days. Most of his use of the vehicle will be on road 99% snow, gravel roads, steep hills but on road not over large rocks or tree trunks. Thanks

I personally think the LC is a better vehicle. My biggest sales point would be depreciation. The LC has already gone through the first big chunk. The 4Runner will see that first drop in his ownership. So the LC is a safer finacial investment should he need to sell it in the near future.

I've sat in and driven both of those vehicles, and I don't even think that they are a fare comparison, the 100 series landcruiser is in my opinion the best overall built vehicle I've ever driven. Let's start with the interior, the 4-runner feels a little plasticky, were as the 100 series feels really solid. I think the Landcruiser will hold it's value way better, not to mention those new 4Runners are pretty nasty looking!

Isn't Land Cruiser the TOp of the Line SUV among Toyota line? Even if it has the same engine, the engineering, comfort, built has to be different.
4runners are nice, but LandCruiser is nicer. 2001 LC for 34K? WOw.

I agree, the LC even with 55K miles will look and drive new well into the 150K mark, I'm not so sure about the Forerunner.

Well, my pops bought a cherry red 97 4 runner Sport Package...nice vehicle still (147k miles), brother bought a silver 01 4runner Sports Edition, nicer...I on the other hand bought a 93 LC w/102k....bro/dad drove the LC and said what a big difference compared to the 4runner.

i would have to agree with everything stated above. But what a great position to be in, where your two choices are a great vehicle, or a really great vehicle. He really is on the right track and won't go wrong with either.

I'm in the same boat as your buddy right now, getting ready to trade in the wifes 96 4runner, which has been a great truck but towing the dirt bikes up some of the colorado passes is sometimes tough on that 3.4, I think i'll probably end up with another cruiser, although i really like those new 4runners, i'd pick the v6 over the v8, for gas mileage alone if i go with the 4runner, Brad.

Kinda funny you talk about that 3.4 V6 not having enough pull for your towing, but then you say you would go with the V6 in the new 4Runner if ya got one, and for the better gas mileage, first of all the mileage difference from the V6 to the V8 on the highway is 2, not really much of a difference, and depending on what your towing, ya the V6 has a little more ponies, 245 compared to the V8's 235, but the V8 hits it's ponies at 4800 RPM's as oposed to the V6 hitting them at 5200. Then we get to the important stuff the V8 has 38 more lb-ft of torque and hits it's max torque at 3400 RPM's instead of the V6's 3800 RPM's, which in my book for towing the v8 looks way better, plus your getting a well proven engine that's been around for awhile with the v8, just don't see how the V6 looks better in anyway, just my opinion

If you drive one with that new 4.0 V6 i think anyone will agree that it runs awesome, the trailer i pull is under 2000# loaded so the 3.4 is almost adequate, and while Toyota lists that the V8 gets that good of mileage i've talked to a few people that say they don't see 13mpg out of their tundra, yeah the V8 would be nice but with gas prices constantly rising i'll take the 2 mpg if thats all it ends up being, Brad.

I could possibly see 13mpg in a Tundra in 100% stop and go traffic but otherwise it should be better than that. As a matter of fact even when my wife commuted through downtown Houston in her Tundra it was better than 13mpg. The only time it has gotten 13mpg was with a full steel car hauler with my 911 on it. Average mileage for her is around 17mpg usually. My 100 with the same engine gets 13-17 and it sees low range in the t-fer case about once every three days.

the 100 series fur sure. I LOVE mine :)

Drove the Forerunner today so I could give some good feedback to my friend. It has the 2004 LC engine, 5 speed transmission, transfer case, boxed frame, and the difference in the suspension is that the forerunner has coil springs up front and the LC has the torsion bars (I think I would reather have coil springs). The frame felt extra stiff with the boxed construction and the 9 cross members. The forerunner SR-5 V-8 also has all of the same traction control goodies that the new LC's have. The difference is that the new LC has more luxury features as standard, but the one I looked at cost $63K. The SR-5 forerunner I drove came with auto temp control air conditioning and a CD player but it did not have leather, DVD and wood trim and was not the luxury vehicle that the LC's have become. Based on my review of the current forerunner and the current LC, the forerunner is more like our FZJ80's then the current LC. Plus the forerunner I drove listed for $33K and you could buy it for $30K. Man that's $30K less then the LC :whoops: If it was your money I think I would get the LC, if it is my money I think I would go for the forerunner with all of the LC mechanicals and solid structure and less of the luxury stuff. Am I missing something??? What did I over look on the LC that makes it worth $30K more?

I would also consider what he's going to do with it. I looked at the new 4-runner before buying my 80. I thought it was too small in the "trunk" for my application.

I'd save a bunch of $$ and just get a real nice 80 series. ;)

Just Do IT, Just get the 100.

Both are awesome trucks. The buying point would be how big of a truck does he need? Will your friend be carrying 5+ people? Will he need a cargo area larger than the 4Runner's capacity? If the answer is yes, go with the Cruiser. If not, the 4Runner handles a lot better on the road, especially with the X-REAS option. If going with the 4Runner, definitely go with the V8. In addition to the reasons given by fjz above, the V8 also comes with full-time 4WD like the Cruiser. I'm sure he'll be happy either way!

Big, I think you are right. Toyota seems to be using all of the same parts in all of these vehicles and then putting different sheet metal and luxury features on them. If you need a lot of room get the Sequoia, Luxury get the LC/LX470, don't need a lot of room Forerunner/ GX470. Nothing they make now fit's how the 80's are built.

I choose 100 series because I need the 3rd row seat. 4Runner 3rd row seat are a joke.

For serious off road new 4runner came standard with down hill assist and torsen center diff which I believe should be more capable off road. Plus they are slightly narrower which help a lot on the trail. The cargo area back up mirror is a genious idea. It help reduce blind spot with very simple idea. 4Runner also came with the rear hatch which are a lot more practical for grocery getting but the LC tailgate design are better for camping/expediiton purpose.

[quote author=Augie link=board=2;threadid=13330;start=msg124308#msg124308 date=1079798047]
I choose 100 series because I need the 3rd row seat. 4Runner 3rd row seat are a joke.

For serious off road new 4runner came standard with down hill assist and torsen center diff which I believe should be more capable off road. Plus they are slightly narrower which help a lot on the trail. The cargo area back up mirror is a genious idea. It help reduce blind spot with very simple idea. 4Runner also came with the rear hatch which are a lot more practical for grocery getting but the LC tailgate design are better for camping/expediiton purpose.
[/quote]

I don't think I would buy a new LC but a good used 100 appeals to me more than the Forerunner. I'm going to tell my friend that he can't go wrong with the Forerunner but I personally would buy the used LC. What can I say I guess I'm kinda hung-up with the name. If they would change the name of the forerunner to the LC-80 and call the present LC the LC-100 I would buy the LC-80 (forerunner). (sorry my logic stinks, I once paid $6000 for a Rolex watch so my logic is flawed) :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom