Adding a Trans Cooler, to Fan or not to Fan? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If I were adding a fan, aside from a thermal switch, I may also opt for a manual over-ride switch.
I personally would run it on a manual switch. From my experience the only time you'd need a fan is wheeling and towing. Not everyday.

I personally would run it on a manual switch. From my experience the only time you'd need a fan is wheeling and towing. Not everyday.
The only problem with a manual only switch is forgetting it's on. Considering it's quiet and not visual, it would be easy to flip it on and leave it on through an entire season before realizing it's on.
I one goes with a manual only switch, I'd suggest using an OBDII phone app that shows transmission temps so at least there's some visual accounting of what the tranny is doing.
Yeah I know the fan would only run when the engine was on and would never drain the battery, but if you forget and leave it on during some cold weather your trans will never get up to operating temperature.

For me, I'd just like the security of knowing it'll turn on and off with a thermal switch and save the manual for "just in case".
At the end of a long day of trails, I'd probably forget about leaving the switch on.

You shouldn't really need to run a fan on these off-roading. Lots of folks wheel in these at low speeds and the trans don't get hot under those conditions (presumably due to the Toyota design). The trans in these can get cooked by long grades where a low gear is retained, a lot of throttle is applied, and the TCC doesn't lock up, or when towing. Even with the TCC unlocked at low speeds (i.e., cruising in 3rd gear and below off-road), they don't really generate a lot of heat. Mine usually stays 160-170F off-roading in the summer with a Hayden 678.

You shouldn't really need to run a fan on these off-roading. Lots of folks wheel in these at low speeds and the trans don't get hot under those conditions (presumably due to the Toyota design). The trans in these can get cooked by long grades where a low gear is retained, a lot of throttle is applied, and the TCC doesn't lock up, or when towing. Even with the TCC unlocked at low speeds (i.e., cruising in 3rd gear and below off-road), they don't really generate a lot of heat. Mine usually stays 160-170F off-roading in the summer with a Hayden 678.
Perks of having a vehicle with Land Cruiser roots! I just ordered a Hayden 678. I really appreciate the input.

Perks of having a vehicle with Land Cruiser roots! I just ordered a Hayden 678. I really appreciate the input.
If you haven't already, watch GX Bob's video on the installation. He did a great job covering it. I didn't copy him 100%, but the video did make the install crystal clear in my mind.

I'm going to Side with Toyota Engineering on this One. If it needed a Fan they would have Put a Fan on it.
The Transmissions on these Rarely Fail and if they do it's Typically the Owner Fault.
If you add an Electric fan remember they do not like Water.

The AC Condensor on the GX has an Electric Fan, but 80 Series Does Not (It is getting one Currently).

I'm going to Side with Toyota Engineering on this One. If it needed a Fan they would have Put a Fan on it.
The Transmissions on these Rarely Fail and if they do it's Typically the Owner Fault.

The AC Condensor on the GX has an Electric Fan, but 80 Series Does Not (It is getting one Currently).
Fan or no fan, the OEM cooler in the GX is woefully undersized, when it is even present. Even unloaded you'll get runaway temps pulling a big, windy, low-speed grade out west when a low gear is required and the TCC doesn't lock. And the AT TEMP light doesn't kick on until something close to 300F - at which point it is too late. If you aren't monitoring temps via a OBDII reader and app, you trans could be well above 250F and you'd have no idea. It's easy/cheap enough to fix this fatal flaw with a Hayden 678/679. Other similar vintage Toyotas, like the Tundra, have a cooler much larger than the GX. The 678 is around 3X the size of the OEM 470 cooler.

I personally don't see how Toyota came to the 6,500# tow rating on the 460 without a cooler. This, along with the "lifetime fluid" myth, also may explain the anecdotally higher rate of trans failures in the 460 relative to the 470. Again it's easy to DIY fix this flaw, but it's a big oversight from Toyota IMO.

That's a very good point about an after market fan and water. If one does any fording and wants to add a fan, may consider a sealed motor fan.

These are water proof and designed for offroading.
Here was the setup I fabbed and installed on my old Ram 2500. Derale uses Spal fans and from my experience these things CRANK and hold up to the elements really well. This under belly cooler set up worked amazingly.

IMG_5566.jpeg

IMG_5575.jpeg

IMG_5582.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom