Adding a splined yoke to the back end of the split-case input shaft? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, this is definitely pretty out there, but I've gotten it into my head that it'd be nice to have an extra 50-100 ft/lbs on tap with a beefy brushless motor and a couple hundred pounds of lithium batteries under the floorboards (good for COG 🤷‍♂️ ), and I think I've convinced myself that it'd probably even qualify my 60 to park in EV charging spots (it'd legitimately be a plug-in hybrid, haha).

So, I've been brainstorming how to get the motor input into the drivetrain.

Suffice it to say I thought of a bunch of goofy ways to do it (McMaster Carr chain cog + drill holes to match output flange on t-case and drive shaft at the yoke, mount motor parallel to rear shaft, run chain sideways to it), but since I'm already gearing up to do a fully vanilla split-case rebuild sooner rather than later, I noticed that nice, temping inspection cover on the rear housing, with the six bolts...

dscn0148-jpg.1517791

Inside, it's just a bearing and the end of the input shaft, and a gasket.

This got me thinking:

Would it be insane to:

1.) get a splined or keyed hole machined in the end of an OEM input shaft
2.) make a new 'cover' out of 1/2" aluminum on the drill press, with a bearing press-fit into a (neatly!) drilled hole in the middle and the same 6-bolt pattern around the edge
3.) find/modify/pay someone to machine a stubby little shaft that can press into the bearing, key into the t-case input shaft end, and have any number of types of couplers (gear cog, more splines, whatever) on the external side
4.) run a chain/shaft/etc. to wherever the ~9 inch x 13 inch motor fits best under a 60

This means the motor would be turning the same shaft as the transmission output, so you only have the two or more speeds of the t-case to change where the motor's torque/power RPMs are hitting. I'd rather have something like a version of Mark's Adapter that just has a big spur gear pressed onto the middle of the transmission input extension shaft, but I can't seem to come up with a good solution to how I'd make a whole custom bellhousing that can handle the thrust loads of what amounts to a custom transfer case in the middle of it (but that'd be my favorite solution, I think?). I know it could be done, but I can drill holes and saw aluminum plate a lot more confidently than I'm casting or welding anything at this point (not that that matters too much, since this is all hypothetical, too!).

So, yeah. Thoughts? I can share more on the actual characteristics of the motor(s)/batteries if that seems relevant, but just think 'somewhere between VW aircooled engine and 22r with a tuneup' in terms of the torque, power, and RPM range, for the ones that got me thinking about this when I found them on a less out-there bit of research for a smaller/sooner/realer EV conversion (hint: '87 Subaru GL).

Ok, I feel pretty silly for forgetting about PTO boxes, since those do exactly what I want, but bolted to that spot with the fancy little cover on the underside instead of monkeying with the input shaft...

So, question is, how much torque can the Toyota PTO box handle? If it's enough, I think I have a solution. If it's not, it's still just a question of making a housing for a gearset that *is* beefy enough (shouldn't off-the-shelf H55/H42 gears mesh perfectly?), and then a housing that'll mate to the PTO port and not accidentally let all the gear oil out of the trans, right?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom