Add Toyota Remote Start to 2021 LC (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Purchased a 2021 base model LC on Saturday. It did not have remote start. I am not a big fan of the factory installed remote start on the LC, but I am used to it and like that it is integrated in the factory remote. Dealer agreed to throw in the factory remote start as part of the sale. The only part I can find for the LC is Toyota Part PT398-60160. The description says compatible through 2018 LC. Should I have any concern it won’t be compatible with the 2021?

Salesman said I would get a call from the service department to schedule the install and I never received the call. I sent a few emails and did not hear back. I called and spoke to the salesman yesterday and he said they were looking into the compatibility of the part they agreed to include in the sale when I completed the purchase.

I did confirm from someone else on this forum that the remote starter part is compatible with the 2021 even though Toyota does not publish that it is.

Purchased a 2021 base model LC on Saturday. It did not have remote start. I am not a big fan of the factory installed remote start on the LC, but I am used to it and like that it is integrated in the factory remote. Dealer agreed to throw in the factory remote start as part of the sale. The only part I can find for the LC is Toyota Part PT398-60160. The description says compatible through 2018 LC. Should I have any concern it won’t be compatible with the 2021?

Base model? I thought they were all the same, except for rear entertainment or Heritage edition? That being said, I'm in Dallas also and mine came with remote start. Did you buy from T of D?

Thats the PN I have on my 2020 and 2020 2021's are the same vehicle Similar I negotiated the remote start in with my purchase.

As an update, the dealer gave me a bunch of excuses why I should install an aftermarket remote start that "all their salespeople have on their own cars" instead of Toyota Part PT398-60160. I assume it a cheaper part that is easier to install. I told them I specifically negotiated the Toyota Part and did not want a non-Toyota part. The aftermarket part apparently has an app and features beyond the factory part, but I have the factory remote start on my other LC, I know its limitations, it does what I need it to do and it is dependable.

The dealer told me the part was not compatible and then I was told the part is on backorder and it would take 30 days to get. Fortunately, Eric Sarjeant direct messaged me confirming that even though it is not published that the part is compatible, it is compatible and he had installed it successfully. With this confirmation, I told the dealer I wanted to move forward with the install. I guess the part was not on backorder, because is arrived at the dealer in less than a week.

When Eric Sarjeant direct messaged me, he also offered to provide instructions or a video to help with the install. He ended up sending me a video covering the programing that needs to be done and the need to cycle it several times if it does not take. I tried to upload it here, but I cannot figure out how to do that. If anyone needs it, message me and I will email it.

I cannot express how helpful Eric Sarjeant has been with this issue. I wish I could buy and deal directly with him and his dealership.

Base model? I thought they were all the same, except for rear entertainment or Heritage edition? That being said, I'm in Dallas also and mine came with remote start. Did you buy from T of D?
Base model vs. HE. Surprised this is not standard on this vehicle.

Is there a way to change the program on a Toyota factory remote start so that it does not shut the vehicle off when you walk up a touch the handle while it is running? That is the one thing I do not like about the factory start. I know is sounds like a minor complaint but it would be nice to get in to my truck and just drive off without having it shut down and have to restart it. Does everyone else have the same thing happen?

@BillyG2014LC200 That is how mine works Not aware of any way to get around it on factory RS. if someone knows please let me know as well, but I did look into it.
some option for this in after market, but for a few reasons I didn’t go that way.

Is there a way to change the program on a Toyota factory remote start so that it does not shut the vehicle off when you walk up a touch the handle while it is running? That is the one thing I do not like about the factory start. I know is sounds like a minor complaint but it would be nice to get in to my truck and just drive off without having it shut down and have to restart it. Does everyone else have the same thing happen?

The answer to that is no, even with an after market you have the same thing. It is part of the factory security system and the changing/rotating frequency.

FYI mine also did not come with a remote start, but after looking at the very limited range of the factory remote I went with an after market. Aftermarket has near a mile range, and OEM is about 100 feet. After market you get another FOB thing so then you have 2 to carry around.

The answer to that is no, even with an after market you have the same thing. It is part of the factory security system and the changing/rotating frequency.

FYI mine also did not come with a remote start, but after looking at the very limited range of the factory remote I went with an after market. Aftermarket has near a mile range, and OEM is about 100 feet. After market you get another FOB thing so then you have 2 to carry around.

I watched a YouTube video on how to bypass the RS shutoff however it was very involved. Guy disabled the driver door switch and ran a wire to a box under the dash. Looked like it wouldn’t maintain the security protection that the factory set up provides. I’ll keep using my factory remote start until it fails and then probably go with an aftermarket system that is app based on my phone. My co workers that drive Chevy’s are always bragging how they can start their vehicles from their phone and monitor vehicle data etc.

Last edited:
I have the ability to be able to use an app to RS my GM, but I don't think it is worth the monthly fee to be able to do it. And only time I really cared about RS range was when I was a road warrior and would want to start car in Airport parking. When I RS with the App, the engine will shut off when you open it anyway. If I use the RS on the key fob then use key ( my GM is older and has an old school key and put it in ignition ) the engine stays on. :)
I have other car in family motor pool that has sperate fob for RS that is a factory RS and it drives me nuts. It factory do it on one GD fob!

My LC is new so just getting used to it and it is garaged. But alot times I just have a wallet key and don't even have a fob. Might change come winter.

I installed the 12 volt solutions remote start. Controlled by the factory fob. Press lock 3 times to start or stop. Their is also an app for starting from far away with your cell. Super happy with it on my Tacoma and land cruiser.

I installed the 12 volt solutions remote start. Controlled by the factory fob. Press lock 3 times to start or stop. Their is also an app for starting from far away with your cell. Super happy with it on my Tacoma and land cruiser.

SKU: Toyo-TL8

I ran into a similar problem for my 2019 200 LC my local dealer who is usually pretty good , but told me they had no listing for anything above 2019 , they checked with there parts Dept and they told me if I could get them a part number they could check and see if it was compatible .
I was done with them , I have a account with Sparks Toyota and they verified PT398-60160 works for my 2019 .
I think I paid around 300 bucks for the factory Toyota one but still have to install it .
Sparks is usually pretty good on prices plus being on another site they have a discount code save a couple bucks .

It’s plug and play. Install on my Tacoma took 30 minutes or so. I had a shop,do the Land Cruiser when they did my Naviplus. I think it was $80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom