Add A-TRAC to your FJ (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This sounds similar to the Center Diff Lock switch that didn't come on US-spec 80-series trucks. Right behind the blank button on the dash is the harness and plug. You buy the button, attach it to the plug, and voila! You have the ability to lock the center diff in High Range (happens automatically when you shift to Low Range).

This is _probably_ the same theory but I make no promises; I will do some searching with my insiders at Toyota.

Dave

logic2 said:
It sounds like: There is an A-TRAC switch connector (female) behind every FJC faceplate that hooks directly to the OEM A-TRAC momentary switch (male)..... Is this correct ?
Yes.

The easiest way to do a functional test of the A-TRAC system is to find somewhere that you can get 2 tires at opposite corners off the ground. Loading dock ramps work really well for this. Shift into low range (A-TRAC only works in low), press the switch, verify the light comes on. Pull up till the tires loose traction. The yellow slip indicator lamp on the dash will start flashing and you will hear a buzzing/clicking sound from under the hood. Most importantly, you should begin to move forward again. This is what A-TRAC is all about. :)

Part number 84988-35060 should get you the switch. Apparently it is on backorder. This is common when a new model comes out. They should be on these shores within a couple of weeks though.

if this is the case Im ordering an FJ, heck 24k with a trac and rear diff lock WOOHOOO

Great

Thanks Alex !

Well, I don't have a loading dock but I'm pretty sure I can duplicate the situation with a couple of car ramps - one under the front left and one under the rear right wheels.

I think I'll pay Radio Shack a visit for a cool-looking switch that will momentarily short-out the above mentioned wires until my local Toyo dealer can get me an A-TRAC switch.

Thanks for the help :cheers:

I don't know much about the FJCs but in the 80's quite a few of the switches are the same type with different labels. The hazard switch will work for the CDL and probably the rear defrost could be used too. Can you just pop out an existing switch and use it to test out the theory?

how come nothing lights up in the cluster when i hit the a-trac? am i just supposed to know it's working, cuz of right now, its just a button

Push the button and shift the control for L4 or LL (depending on whether you've got the auto or the manual). The indicator light should come on. A-Trac is supposed to help prevent all four wheels from spinning on slippery surfaces.

FJCruiserOwnersGroup said:
Push the button and shift the control for L4 or LL (depending on whether you've got the auto or the manual). The indicator light should come on. A-Trac is supposed to help prevent all four wheels from spinning on slippery surfaces.

thanks im such a 4wd noob.

I don't know about the indicator lights on the FJ Cruiser, but I wonder if the ATRAC light bulb was even put in to the dash on non-ATRAC-equipped FJ Cruisers. I know that non F/R-locked 80s did not have the dash bulbs put in for F/R difflocks. Is it possible the same applies to non-ATRAC-equipped FJ Cruisers? If so, ATRAC may be working, but the indicator light may not light for people trying this mod.

Mine is due in on May 20th. I ordered it with the upgrade because I wanted the A-Track. If this is true about the switch I might cancel mine and reorder a base model.

Alex H said:
Yes.

The easiest way to do a functional test of the A-TRAC system is to find somewhere that you can get 2 tires at opposite corners off the ground. Loading dock ramps work really well for this. Shift into low range (A-TRAC only works in low), press the switch, verify the light comes on. Pull up till the tires loose traction. The yellow slip indicator lamp on the dash will start flashing and you will hear a buzzing/clicking sound from under the hood. Most importantly, you should begin to move forward again. This is what A-TRAC is all about. :)

Part number 84988-35060 should get you the switch. Apparently it is on backorder. This is common when a new model comes out. They should be on these shores within a couple of weeks though.

I just ordered a switch from Toyota Parts - They are listed for about $80 ($55 wholesale) but are on back order as described earlier.

I'm going to Radio Shaft to buy a momentary switch -

I checked with the dealer (over phone) where I bought mine....this service department guy said the A-Trac had to come with the vehicle and could not be added later. I believe this guy was either ignorant about the FJ, too lazy to check, or both.

I am taking the FJC in tomorrow for Rock Rails, Armrest, alarm system and the 1000 mile oil change. I will check in person about the A-Trac switch.

Bought my Silver/4X4 FJC April 9th. Drove it home, packed it full of gear, put on the snowboard rack and drove 5 1/5 hrs to Mammoth Mountain the next morning. A snowstorm and a 20 foot snow base on the mountain greeted us. The FJC handled great in the snow and ice...even with the stock Dunlop m+s tires. I was surprised at how much room there was. Me, my Wife, 2 kids and all our cold weather gear and clothes for a week, 3 snowbards (2 on the roof 1 inside), plus 3 bags of groceries. Still had room to relax and enjoy the ride.

Downer said:
I am taking the FJC in tomorrow for Rock Rails, Armrest, alarm system and the 1000 mile oil change. I will check in person about the A-Trac switch.

I bought mine on March 24th and I am just at 1000 miles (999 actually), but didn't see a 1000 mile oil change on the maintenence schedule. Is this just something that you decided to do, or was it recommended to you?

Downer said:
I checked with the dealer (over phone) where I bought mine....this service department guy said the A-Trac had to come with the vehicle and could not be added later. I believe this guy was either ignorant about the FJ, too lazy to check, or both.

If you think that the dealer either....

A) Knows

or

B) Would tell you that a $80 switch could replace a $1000 option

...... you are effin crazy.

This will be something that somone will have to figure out on their own. TMS USA or any dealer aren't going to help you any.

k9crazy said:
I bought mine on March 24th and I am just at 1000 miles (999 actually), but didn't see a 1000 mile oil change on the maintenence schedule. Is this just something that you decided to do, or was it recommended to you?
the Dealer said to get the oil and fluids changed at 1000 miles. They are paying for it.

I was talking with a friend of mine who has been building newer Toyotas for 15 years or so and this is what he said about this thread.

The ABS servo motor is most likely different.

The factory ABS computer most likely has different programing or additional programing for this function. But the programing could be overcome by some ingenious builder or reflashed by the factory.

Alex H said:
It is as simple as buying the $60 A-TRAC switch from your friendly Toyota dealer and installing it to the dashboard. All of the hardware is already there, it is the same stuff used with the regular old-fashioned TRAC that comes on every FJ Cruiser. I am sure it will work on the ones with the rear locker but not positive about the base models without the locker as the TRAC ECU has different part #s for w/locker and without and ATRAC is not offered as a factory option without the rear locker. If you are not sure about spending the money you can also install a single pole momentary switch to the pink/green and black/white wires at pins 3 & 4 of the Active Trac control switch connector.

Methinks it is possible to order an FJ with the locker as the only option purchased, buy the switch and have a decent rockcrawler for under $25k.

Alex - I believe there are several people on this thread willing to confidently apply this mod (me for one) - but I'd like to know if you have actually seen this done (or done it) to an FJC, or is it your theory based on past experience with other LCs. Either way is ok because it's cheap to test.

I pulled the panel out yesterday and there are female connectors (with all appropriate wiring) actually connected plastic-dummy prongs on the back of each blank faceplate plug. Looks doable, but I was just wanting to know how you became so confident that this will work.

Thanks in advance-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom