Add A-TRAC to your FJ (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

logic2 said:
Looks doable, but I was just wanting to know how you became so confident that this will work.

x2

-B-

the suspense is killing me!!! hahaha

i seriusly check this thread about 4 times a day.

i have a package 2 fj i'm eye balling now...but i would love to save the $2000 for mods

Well All I really now is that A-TRAC is freaking sweet you wont regret getting it.
Situation.
4Lo, locked, 1st gear

For example today I was going through these mudtrails and at the very end there was a very steep/ditched out hill but it was rather short about 4feet tall but nearly 90 degrees because tires would get on the ditches making you hit the skidplate. Well I went through it and had 2 wheels on the air(front left and rear right) and the rear left was on some minor mud, but now enough traction to push me forward and the lacking front diff didn't get me anywhere. going backwards. So after sticking branches on both tires tires and trying nothing worked. I was like lets see what this A-TRAC is all about( I may add that I am one of those manly manual mandingos on this forum) I engange it. Go forward not enough torque to the front/back wheel go push through the lil mountain(skid plate is completely against the lil hill) , put it in reverse. Well surprisingly the front wheel that was on the ground got my ass out of there, and this wonderful tool got my ass out of a tight one.

The rear right wheel was about 2 feet in the air and the front left one in a ditch like thing.

On btw one of those silver wings on the front bumper pooped out, cheap sh!t, I superglued it back in place. I need that ARB bumper to get here NOW.

lets just say that Alex is a "MASTER" at what he does.... if he says it will work it will.

waiting.........................

I'm not clear if anyone has actually popped the dash to see if the harness is there?

Yeah, a few posts up, a guy mentioned the wires are all there, plugged into the plastic knock-out panel, waiting for testing. :D

player said:
Yeah, a few posts up, a guy mentioned the wires are all there, plugged into the plastic knock-out panel, waiting for testing. :D

It makes sense then that it will work. These machines come off a highly-automated and efficient assembly line. Electronic-wise, it's logical to assume that they all have the same wiring. Hardware-wise, of course not (you won't find an e-locker in an FJC ordered without one.)

I'm willing to bet that it's plug and play. It works on the 1993-7 FZJ80's with the CDL switch--the ECU recognizes it when it goes in and it deactivates the ABS and locks the center diff in High--even though no US-spec FZJ80 had that switch from the factory, the harness and ECU data was all there.

I think the FJC computer will recognize the switch and activate ATRAC. Pete Parks is working on getting the switch and doing this as I speak. Will report when he gets it installed.

4WD Toyota Owner Magazine said:
It makes sense then that it will work. These machines come off a highly-automated and efficient assembly line. Electronic-wise, it's logical to assume that they all have the same wiring. Hardware-wise, of course not (you won't find an e-locker in an FJC ordered without one.)

I'm willing to bet that it's plug and play. It works on the 1993-7 FZJ80's with the CDL switch--the ECU recognizes it when it goes in and it deactivates the ABS and locks the center diff in High--even though no US-spec FZJ80 had that switch from the factory, the harness and ECU data was all there.

I think the FJC computer will recognize the switch and activate ATRAC. Pete Parks is working on getting the switch and doing this as I speak. Will report when he gets it installed.
Difference with the FZJ80 is that it comes stock with a CDL that automatically engages when put in Lo, the switch just allows manual activation/deactivation of an already standard CDL. Would be cool if the A-TRAC was that easy to add though!

I just tested the procedure and it's not as simple as theory would suggest; it didn't work as a FJC that is optioned for A-TRAC works when engaged.

It could be that the bulbs for A-TRAC are not installed; it could be that there is a missing Relay, etc... but when you engage the switch and shift the txfer case into LOW, the A-TRAC light should come on, and I thought (according to the owners manual) you should hear a clicking sound coming from the ABS, which is a self test of the A-TRAC. I see and hear nothing.

Additional note: The color codes mentioned in the first thread are different than what my FJC has in the A-TRAC position (top row, third from the left).
In my FJC, when you pop out the dummy plug in the A-TRAC position there is a female connector with 2 wires connected to it:

- Dark Purple (no stripe) but with silver paint spots
- Pink with a blue stripe and silver paint spots.
The pink conductor is +12v

When these two wires are shorted (switched) and the txfer case goes into LOW, nothing happens. I hear nothing, and see no lights on the instrument panel....although this could be that the dash just needs a bulb and I'll look into that later this weekend.

My question: Could it be a computer setting that needs to be set ?

I need to ask my Toyota Parts guy about buying A-TRAC for vehicle that is not optioned for A-TRAC. What does the Toyota parts catalogue show for a kit ? Switch, Relay, Fuse, Computer parameter settings,etc...

Any advice or feedback is greatly appreciated ! I haven't given up, just back to the drawing board.

Last edited:
saskdiesel said:
I was talking with a friend of mine who has been building newer Toyotas for 15 years or so and this is what he said about this thread.

The ABS servo motor is most likely different.

The factory ABS computer most likely has different programing or additional programing for this function. But the programing could be overcome by some ingenious builder or reflashed by the factory.

I think its more than adding a bulb.............

You may have to look at the wiring at the back of the switches again as opposed to the position of the switch on the panel. The wiring diagram specifically labels the two wires going into the A-Trac switch as "P-G"( pink and green ) and "W-B" (white and black ) . I installed the switch this A.M. to the only connector that had those two specific color coded wires ( it had two other colored wires as well ) For reason I don't think that I have an A-Trac light installed. When I turn the key to the first position all my indicator lights come on including the VSC light. I can barely see the out-line of the A-Trac words but they do not illuminate. Stay tuned........

ick.

O.k.... Good news folks...I just performed a "function test" after installing said switch this A.M. I shifted into L4 , Pushed the A-Trac button and lo and behold..........the A-Trac light came on!! Guess I had one after all. I did not hear any noise coming from up front, but it was raining pretty hard. Now, the only thing left to do is to see if it actually works. I wish I could go out and test it out now, but I've got the little ones tonight and after I put the youngest to bed, I ran out in the wind and rain to do my " function test". AArrggh, I'm so not the patient one:mad: Stand by again.............

ick

ickmann said:
O.k.... Good news folks...I just performed a "function test" after installing said switch this A.M. I shifted into L4 , Pushed the A-Trac button and lo and behold..........the A-Trac light came on!! Guess I had one after all. I did not hear any noise coming from up front, but it was raining pretty hard. Now, the only thing left to do is to see if it actually works. I wish I could go out and test it out now, but I've got the little ones tonight and after I put the youngest to bed, I ran out in the wind and rain to do my " function test". AArrggh, I'm so not the patient one:mad: Stand by again.............

ick

so in other words, so far so good? you plugged in the ATRAC switch and it 'works' in 4LO?

all you need is a trail test now? good deal, way to be a pioneer man.

Hasn't anyone bought the FSM for the FJC yet? Seems like the answer to this question would be easily answered with that.

I'm getting more sceptical about this "mod" - there has to be something that modifies the computer system that runs the drive train to make the A-TRAC work the way it should.

Doesn't the 100 series have some sort of A-TRAC like system? Seems like it would operate in a similar fashion, and would have a similar hardware/software config.

I don't want to burst anyone's bubble on this one, but I don't see how it would be as easy as adding a switch…

ickmann said:

ick

Good job Ick !
I'll ignore the connector in the place of the A-TRAC plug and look again for the correct connector. I just installed (upgraded) the stereo and installed XM sat...and it's tight back there.
Good work again -

swank60 said:
Hasn't anyone bought the FSM for the FJC yet? Seems like the answer to this question would be easily answered with that.

I'm getting more sceptical about this "mod" - there has to be something that modifies the computer system that runs the drive train to make the A-TRAC work the way it should.

Doesn't the 100 series have some sort of A-TRAC like system? Seems like it would operate in a similar fashion, and would have a similar hardware/software config.

I don't want to burst anyone's bubble on this one, but I don't see how it would be as easy as adding a switch…
It definitely sounds feasible, as all the hardware is there, same ECU part number for both, etc. and all FJCs have TRAC standard, so the ATRAC is just an extension of that. I am less skeptical now that someone has done the mod and gotten the ATRAC light to light up. I would think normally it wouldn't light up or would blink if it detected the system wasn't working properly. Well we should know for sure as soon as someone can do a (off)road test. :)

The blank-faceplate plug in the A-TRAC position (top row - 3rd from left) had the wrong connector attached (and even more confusing, it also had a pink wire and DARK PURPLE...almost black wire as well). Since it was in the correct position, I tried shorting those wires...and it didn't work. Reading the post
above about the color codes, I found that the connector I needed in the next position to the right. After shorting the two wires (black and pink), then shifting into 4-LOW, the light came on. This looks like 2 successful tests.
I'll try putting 2 car ramps under opposite-diagonal wheels in the morning and see if i can get 4-Low to slip, then see if the A-TRAC mod makes a difference.
Pics of the mod----------
Remove panel and pop out the blank plugs to find the female connector with 4 wires.
atrac1.jpg

With engine running (to simulate driving) short the pink and black wires (position 3 and 4)
atrac2.jpg

Shift txfer case into 4-Low and see A-TRAC light activate.
atrac3.jpg

if your FJ sounds like it's dying from the inside out A-TRAC is working otherwise it's not.

Like very loud metally noise like ABS but it sounds that the T-CASe is falling appart and your pedals/shifter shake like a mother fxxxer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom