Add A-TRAC to your FJ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It is as simple as buying the $60 A-TRAC switch from your friendly Toyota dealer and installing it to the dashboard. All of the hardware is already there, it is the same stuff used with the regular old-fashioned TRAC that comes on every FJ Cruiser. I am sure it will work on the ones with the rear locker but not positive about the base models without the locker as the TRAC ECU has different part #s for w/locker and without and ATRAC is not offered as a factory option without the rear locker. If you are not sure about spending the money you can also install a single pole momentary switch to the pink/green and black/white wires at pins 3 & 4 of the Active Trac control switch connector.

Methinks it is possible to order an FJ with the locker as the only option purchased, buy the switch and have a decent rockcrawler for under $25k.

07-13-2006 update:

You cannot add A-TRAC to an FJ Cruiser that did not come from the factory with the locking rear differential. See posts by PRCruiser and gunther here:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...854#post114854

Last edited:
Cool, as I ordered basicaly a base rig:
Sillver
auto trans
rear locker
rock rails

That is it.
If all we need is the switch, that is outragious.

I hope the aftermarket catches up faast, as I did not even order floor mats.
I have Huskys in my '91 4Runner, and like them a lot.
I mount a fire bottle to one, and a Maglite to the other one.

WOW!

If this is true it's pretty damn cool info.

any fj ......

Does that mean an fj62 model can attach this switch and have that too?

t100boy said:
Does that mean an fj62 model can attach this switch and have that too?
no, only FJ Cruisers.

Is that you Matt?

Alex H said:
It is as simple as buying the $60 A-TRAC switch from your friendly Toyota dealer and installing it to the dashboard. All of the hardware is already there, it is the same stuff used with the regular old-fashioned TRAC that comes on every FJ Cruiser. I am sure it will work on the ones with the rear locker but not positive about the base models without the locker as the TRAC ECU has different part #s for w/locker and without and ATRAC is not offered as a factory option without the rear locker. If you are not sure about spending the money you can also install a single pole momentary switch to the pink/green and black/white wires at pins 3 & 4 of the Active Trac control switch connector.

Methinks it is possible to order an FJ with the locker as the only option purchased, buy the switch and have a decent rockcrawler for under $25k.

So you buy "the switch", pop it into the dash: now it's time to connect the wires. They are just hanging there?:confused:

Could it really be that easy ?

uhoh7 said:
So you buy "the switch", pop it into the dash: now it's time to connect the wires. They are just hanging there?:confused:
You tell me. :) Pull the switch panel out and see if there is a couple of 4 pin connectors taped alongside the wire harness , unused.

You would think there would be some kind of ecu upgrade needed? This will be interesting if it is only the switch..Someone that has one hurry up and try this will ya...........

Jetboy said:
If it is, I bet the switches will go up in price quickly.
Humm..you right did I hear E-bay?

Riverrock97 said:
no, only FJ Cruisers.

Is that you Matt?

You don't mean me do you?
hi.gif
Cause I got a 60 and it ain't got no fancy trac-do-hickey-thinga-majigy.

In my day we called those 'hubs'!! ;)

Cheers,
Matt (from Yukon)

any updates on this. if this is the case, then i'm ordering just a package one FJ.

Hurry up and find out... the suspense is killing me...

Guess I'll be testing it this week -

I have the 4x4 (Silver) in 6-speed manual (rear diff lock), but no A-Trac.

I'll make the necessary modifications, install the switch, but the question is: What would be the best (& easiest) way to test this modification to be sure it actually works ?

Thanks in Advance

I would take the advice from Alex... He does know what he's talking about.....just my .02

apparently the a trac system is loud as hell...

Wires

His post sounds valid and I plan on testing it on my FJC (without A-TRAC), but I have a question about his instructions and was wondering the easiest way to test it. If it's as loud as described, then it should be pretty easy to determine, but I'd hate to know that the switch simply lights the A-TRAC LED on my dash :eek:
Anyway, I completely trust Alex here -
My question is:
Are the wiring instruction included with the new OEM switch or is it straight forward ? How many pins on the switch ? What color wires to what pins ?

It sounds like: There is an A-TRAC switch connector (female) behind every FJC faceplate that hooks directly to the OEM A-TRAC momentary switch (male)..... Is this correct ?

-----quote-----
If you are not sure about spending the money you can also install a single pole momentary switch to the pink/green and black/white wires at pins 3 & 4 of the Active Trac control switch connector.

-----end quote----

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom