add-a-leaf/main spring failure

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by Winslow, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Winslow

Winslow

I have an add-a-leaf theory: If I throw some beefy add-a-leafs into my spring pack on my Medium Duty Springs, obviously payload capacity will increase. However, as flex mid pack is limited in these new springs due to the add-a-leaf, won’t I then cause stress on the Main Spring and Cause Premature Failure? I drive thousands of miles of crappy dirt roads a year. Very little in the way of “Trails”, just corrugated nightmares. Perhaps forking out the $$$ for a true Heavy Duty Spring is the only real way to go. Thanks for your thoughts.

2. hammer1

hammer1

i had the lonf add-a -leaf a few years back. it did increase my load capacity ( i carry tile and tile cement, and the wet saw alot) the ride sucked, so i ended up with new CCOT replacement springs, with rancho 5000 all around, im happy, exceot the rear drivers sag is still there.
    IMO, any add-a-leaf is just a band-aid, your gonna end up doing the springs anyway.
    hammer

3. lovetoski

lovetoski SILVER Star

I used short add-a-leafs for about 9 months in the rear of my MAF 3" lift. Too stiff, very harsh. Just recently replaced them with full length OME add-a-leafs. OME quality, and it's what they add to their spring packs to raise load capacity. Ride is much better - still firmer than the original MAF spring set, but now can handle more load. Not sure if these would fit into a stock set of springs though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.