Accelerator Cable (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After a couple years of having my way too long accelerator cable in a complete loop before attaching to the carb, I had to replace it. Well, the new one broke when I tried to loop it. Obsviously its not supposed to be looped.

Does anyone have pics of the accelerator cable on their carb setup on an early 70s FJ40? It looks like a need a cable about 2 inchs long (?), but cable I had and the one SOR sent me are both at least a foot long. Not sure if my linkage is wrong or what. I converted from a Weber 4yrs ago so its possible.

Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated. I'm really frustrated.

Matt

Mine has the loop also....I assume you don't need a pic of that...

Mine is about a month old. It is probably a little more than a foot long. Does not loop but does have some slack for the bend-works perfect. Sound like you have the right length to me.

Thanks for the quick response.

DenverCruiser, what side of the carb does your cable attach to? I think in 10/72 it changed from the engine side to the fender side of the carb. Sounds like yours might be engine side....?

Mine is fender side. I just can't understand why there is a loop in this huge cable. Todd, I know it sounds dumb, but if you are able to snap a pic, and don't mind, I'm still curious to check out another setup.

Matt

Mine is fender side. Sounds like your cable is pretty long. I am sure someone else will be able to give detail sooner but I will measure it tonight and let you know if not

Matt, what year and carb?

I just replaced it on my 73. It attaches to the linkage on the back side (fire wall) of the carb, with the connection point on the DS fender side of the carb. I have a big loop in mine as well. The original was the same way.

IDave, the Cruiser is 10/73. It had a Weber when I got it. I got a used carb from someone, and had Jim C. rebuild it several years ago. The info on the carb is 3D9, so I believe this is April 9, 1973...

The cable I got from SOR was the aftermarket as well. Maybe that's why it broke. Or maybe its because it was 5 below when I was messing with it...

Matt

EDIT: Sorry the cruiser date is 10 of 1972

I'll snap a digi when I get home and post ...sounds like you, me and 73' all have the same set up. Odd with the loop thing, but I too believe it to be original.

I got the SOR as well. Mine was very flexible. I bet the cold did it.

Guess it changed in 9/72, so a pic from me won't help.

Well thanks everyone for the suggestions. Sounds like a loop is what it is supposed to be. I'm still interested in the pic Todd, or anyone else.

Sounds like a mechanical linkage might be in my near future...

Matt

Some pics are coming

last one ..firewall looking forward...time to eat dinner

That is exactly the way mine is.

Yep, thats the way mine was. I guess cheap aftermarket cable +cold = broken cable. Thanks for the pics! I guess that seems to me like an odd way of doing it, but what do I know... :p

Thanks again everyone! I guess I'll venture back out into the cold and see if I can still use the broken cable.

Matt
Duluth, MN

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom