AC SHOP AFTERMATH (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Late last summer I succumbed peer pressure and attempted the AC drier relocation and cracked a line.So, the other day I took my cruiser to a shop here in Tracy CA that offers free AC inspection.

Among a few other items in the system loose and out of place:mad:, I notice a cap with an "L" on it wedged where it don't belong and a couple of connection points W/O caps one of which looking freshly uncapped.

So a few questions in regards to the picture below:

This is the AC compressor right?

Is that shiny area where the cap with the "L" belongs?

There's a cap with 'H' near by and possibly a third similar valve which looks fairly dirty... Should that be capped too?

IMG_4549.JPG

Last edited:
Unless they are being serviced, the ports should always be capped. The one marked L is for the low side, H is for the high, they are different size/thread, so cant mess them up.

Unless they are being serviced, the ports should always be capped. The one marked L is for the low side, H is for the high, they are different size/thread, so cant mess them up.

Thanks for the response. I capped after I shot the photo. The AC system was a mess after I brought it back home and I'm not super familiar with the compressor. Glad I found the cap and put it back. Frustrating.

Thanks for the response. I capped after I shot the photo. The AC system was a mess after I brought it back home and I'm not super familiar with the compressor. Glad I found the cap and put it back. Frustrating.

Just to further explain what you were looking at. As previously mentioned the 'capped' items are the 'Service Ports' for both your Low Side (suction side) line and the High Side (discharge side) line of your A/C system. Both lines are bolted to a 'manifold' that in turn...bolts to the top of the compressor.

When/If the system needs to be serviced (or checked), the caps are removed and special fittings clamp onto the port(s). You may have noticed inside the bore of each service port...there is a schrader valve. A schrader valve is a one way valve (like on your tires) and is depressed when the fittings are attached. You don't want these to be dirty or corroded, hence the need for the protective caps.

Just to further explain what you were looking at. As previously mentioned the 'capped' items are the 'Service Ports' for both your Low Side (suction side) line and the High Side (discharge side) line of your A/C system. Both lines are bolted to a 'manifold' that in turn...bolts to the top of the compressor.

When/If the system needs to be serviced (or checked), the caps are removed and special fittings clamp onto the port(s). You may have noticed inside the bore of each service port...there is a schrader valve. A schrader valve is a one way valve (like on your tires) and is depressed when the fittings are attached. You don't want these to be dirty or corroded, hence the need for the protective caps.

Thanks for dropping the knowledge I kinda freaked out when I saw it and wanted to be sure I was doing the right thing in the right spot.

Thanks for the help fellas.

Can one buy replacement caps? I need one.

Favorite Local Auto Parts Store?

Hi, If your tempted to put refrigerant in your self,assuming the system is just low and still has a vacuum ,ONLY put it in on the LOW PRESSURE fitting. Mike

Favorite Local Auto Parts Store?

Yep!

Or :
Friendly Local Auto Parts Store
F***ing Lame Auto Parts Store

Depending on your point of view.

Hi, If your tempted to put refrigerant in your self,assuming the system is just low and still has a vacuum ,ONLY put it in on the LOW PRESSURE fitting. Mike

From his initial post, sounds like the OP "cracked a line" while working on the system previously. IF it was not repaired, the system pumped down and recharged, then he is certainly low (if not devoid) of refrigerant.

In any case (just a point of correction), the system will not be under 'Vaccuum'. The only time you have a 'vacuum' is when the system has been pumped down. Once refrigerant is introduced...or if the system has been opened, you have pressure in the system, even if only atmospheric.

I wouldn't recommend (and I know you haven't either) the OP try to charge the system at ALL without knowing the state of it.

IMO....automotive A/C is the most widely mis-handled 'repair' that home mechanics attempt to resolve.

Not that it can't be done correctly/thoroughly/competently by a person properly equipped and with a good understanding of how A/C works.

But far too many folks think that if the system isn't working correctly.... the answer is to just go get a can of refrigerant and 'pour in the cool'!

From his initial post, sounds like the OP "cracked a line" while working on the system previously. IF it was not repaired, the system pumped down and recharged, then he is certainly low (if not devoid) of refrigerant.

In any case (just a point of correction), the system will not be under 'Vaccuum'. The only time you have a 'vacuum' is when the system has been pumped down. Once refrigerant is introduced...or if the system has been opened, you have pressure in the system, even if only atmospheric.

I wouldn't recommend (and I know you haven't either) the OP try to charge the system at ALL without knowing the state of it.

IMO....automotive A/C is the most widely mis-handled 'repair' that home mechanics attempt to resolve.

Not that it can't be done correctly/thoroughly/competently by a person properly equipped and with a good understanding of how A/C works.

But far too many folks think that if the system isn't working correctly.... the answer is to just go get a can of refrigerant and 'pour in the cool'!

We're aligned on all those points. The line is cracked and shop inspected and put nothing back together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom