AC idle up issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 87 FJ60, smogged. Start it, get it warm to operating temp. idles at 700-725ish. Turn AC on idles up to 1,000. VSV has vacuum to the actuator runs perfect for about a minute then the actuator loses vacuum and idle drops below 450-500 stumbling. turn ac off idles back up to 700. When the idle drops for no apparent reason there is no vacuum and the actuator. Is something happening to the diaphragm in the actuator? I think that part is discontinued. Any help would be great!

This test?

D6096526-3410-4098-9468-D345226837EE.jpeg

Test that the dash pot is holding vacuum.

Correct, that part is NLA, but there is a guy in the Middle East who was selling them. Not cheap: $175

This test?
Not sure that will work if the problem is sporadic. Easiest to swap in another one to be sure.

I had a similar issue a while ago and it fixed itself, then later it stopped working completely, then started working again! go figure.
Now the fast idle stays on when I turn the a/c off and remains on until I restart the engine. I have some gremlins. Winter is here now, so I'll adress it when the weather warms up.

Last edited:
Re the VSV test. Hook it up to battery and do the blow through test. Leave it connected to bat and go have a coffee or something. Then check the blow through test again. If it's still ok, then the VSV is likely ok.

Actuator, generically is a dash pot.

Put a tube on it, pull vac with a hand pump or suck and see if it holds vacuum. If not, the diaphragm inside is bad. Not serviceable that I know of...

The VSV is just a normally off valve. When power is applied, full manifold vac to actuator. A/C amplifier will switch VSV on/off according to evap temp.

1589151327719.png

Put power to the VSV audible click. Sucked on hose from actuator (a sentence I don’t usually type). And the sucking moves the arm. Obviously not holding suction on for a very long time because that’s tough.

VSV is either on or off. Voltage to it should be batt voltage 12v or so.

Suck on a hose directly connected to actuator then crimp the hose and see if it holds vac. It's possible you may have a cracked tubing or something like that, but you have to rule out components individually first.

12v at the connector to the VSV. Clamped hose is holding. Looked at my fuses notice a 15 amp in the ac spot when it should be a 10 I believe. Switched it to a 10 amp. Issue still there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom