AC Compressor Bearing Replament (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The biggest PITA was the snap ring. Turns out there is an access panel through the wheel well. Used a mirror and gave up on the snap ring pliers for a small screwdriver and lifted it up and over the lip.

I’m pressing the bearing in now. Will post a picture tomorrow when it’s light out.

So here’s the thing. I bought a new Stantech clutch with the bearing. Yeah, yeah, I know it’s cheap, but the bearing was near failure and I needed a part now until I can get something better shipped as this is a daily driver. But what I found interesting is that the clutch built is like a strut bearing so the rubber on my original clutch is really hard compared to the new clutch. Makes me wonder if that lack of shock absorption when the clutch engaged caused the pulley bearing to fail.

Or maybe it was just age. It’s a ‘99 from Dallas with 140k on it. 🤷‍♂️

Here is that access panel.

D46F186C-3C87-4984-BEE0-EC58E16FCF1A.jpeg

Thanks for this thread.
Did mine last weekend and everything went smoothly, just want to emphasize on how much pain in the a## is to remove the "C" clip.
A solid hour with absolutely terrible words and two pick tools was necessary to remove it.
Nice and quiet compressor now

Trying to figure out if I need a bearing, clutch or compressor. I have a '02 that makes a squeal when the AC compressor engages AND in reverse (literally no sound in park or drive). There's no grinding and the noise is only in reverse. Weirdest thing.

I'm planning to replace my radiator and fan clutch next weekend and wanted to tackle this at the same time since I'll have a ton of room with everything out.

Trying to figure out if I need a bearing, clutch or compressor. I have a '02 that makes a squeal when the AC compressor engages AND in reverse (literally no sound in park or drive). There's no grinding and the noise is only in reverse. Weirdest thing.

I'm planning to replace my radiator and fan clutch next weekend and wanted to tackle this at the same time since I'll have a ton of room with everything out.
Take out the serp belt and spin all the pulleys by hand

Does anyone know if on the AC clutch snap ring , can a regular proper sized one be used ? After hours of trying to get it off using pick tools, snap ring pliers and everything I had, I had to get rough and drive a small screw driver under it, I tweaked it pretty good and do need to replace it. Any of you guys change out the snap ring ? I can order the stock one but will have to wait on shipping, autozone shows to carry them but have no stock. A normal snap ring seems like it would be a lot easier to deal with if I need to do it again

Last edited:
So is the bearing for the AC within the pulley / clutch assembly? I have been chasing a cold morning squeaking for a while now. With the belt off the noise goes away so timing belt components are in the clear. I recently had Toyota change the clutch assembly but that made no difference either.

I replaced this bearing this weekend, in an effort to chase down what I thought was bearing noise. It turned out to be the fluid coupler in my fan, but I digress.

I took the 20 minutes to pull the air box, drain the radiator, and remove the upper radiator hose, fan and fan shroud. That gave me all kinds of room to work, and I didn’t have to remove the oil filter.

I bought the NSK bearing off of eBay, and it was a slam dunk fit.
The harbor freight snap ring pliers I had did not open far enough to remove the snap ring until I clearanced them a bit to allow more range of motion. I used a socket and a C-clamp to press the old bearing out.

All told, it took me 1 IPA and 2 hours.

Big thanks to everyone else on here who dug into this before I did, and passed along the data!

When I was removing my snap ring I deformed this little dust shield. Does anyone have a part number? Or just bend it back close as I can?

DSCN4853.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom