AC amplifier issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
HI guys,

I just pick up a 02 LX 470. The AC is showing as not connect on the nav screen. Does any one have any advise. Lexus seems to thinks its the amplifier but Im not sure I trust them.

Thanks in advance

I can't answer your question, but if it is the amp, I have one I'll sell you for cheap.

My advice would be to delete the navigation and install a new stereo and speakers. You can then sell the old parts minus the bad amp on Ebay and make money on the deal. Welcome to Mud!

So I am a week out from finally going on another camping trip in Maine, and the dreaded "check the connection to the air conditioner" comes up. At this point, the air is still blowing, but no way to control it.
Took it to the dealer, they identified the amplifier (88650-60B60) as the issue and then tell me they can't find the part. In the entire country. Better yet, when they disconnected everything, they also turned off the air.
So far, so bad.
I ordered a used part from an online seller of Land Cruiser parts. I called and emailed to confirm that they had the part and would ship it next day. They said they did and would, so I stopped looking elsewhere. Called again the next day to check on shipping, and they said they don't have it. Now I've lost a whole day.
I have part (used) ordered now from a couple of other places but won't get it in time. We're going on the trip in a rental car ... what a bummer.
Has anyone else had this or a similar problem getting a part?
I'm seriously thinking about trading for a newer 4Runner, if repairs are going to turn into trips not being possible.

@newtocruiserlife Did you get it figured out? I had the same issue start about the same time you posted this. After no luck solving this at my local mechanic, I took it to the dealer along with the TSB from 2005 that covers this issue. Mines a 2004 which had some issues (very few) with certain MFD units. Mine needed a new head unit (MFD), AC amp (bought used working unit off EBay) and a gateway ECU. Got it back a week ago and all is working. Took a month to get it figured out. Don’t be discouraged, I’ve had my LC for 6 years and 100k miles with minimal issues. Biggest things I’ve had to do (besides this AC problem) were timing belt and a new OEM CV axle besides brakes and tires.

@newtocruiserlife Did you get it figured out? I had the same issue start about the same time you posted this. After no luck solving this at my local mechanic, I took it to the dealer along with the TSB from 2005 that covers this issue. Mines a 2004 which had some issues (very few) with certain MFD units. Mine needed a new head unit (MFD), AC amp (bought used working unit off EBay) and a gateway ECU. Got it back a week ago and all is working. Took a month to get it figured out. Don’t be discouraged, I’ve had my LC for 6 years and 100k miles with minimal issues. Biggest things I’ve had to do (besides this AC problem) were timing belt and a new OEM CV axle besides brakes and tires.
What's TSB?
My truck has been at the dealer for over two weeks ... the amplifier was not the issue.

TSB is technical service bulletin. Certain 2004 land cruisers, Prius’s and Highlanders had this issue (you can google and find it). “Check connection to the Air Conditioner” is one of the symptoms. Usually it’s the MFD that needs replacement but in my case it was also the Gateway ECU that was bad. Part #89111-60030.

My issue was the gateway ECU - here’s the TSB I’m referring to:

Attachments

• EL002-05.pdf
    111.1 KB · Views: 71
@jerryb I’m afraid I don’t have the old one, are you having an issue or just doing some research on why the part went bad? The dealer said they had never replaced one before.

Its odd that that makes two that were replaced or faulty. It would be easier to check the gateway than the AC amp just cause it's right there by your foot
If I had one to compare to mine I'd see if there's an obvious fix. Or if there was a way to check it without scanning.
They are both directly connected.

I may call and see if there’s a chance they still have the old part — usually I keep the older parts when my regular shop does the work. I did ask the Toyota dealer if I could have the old MFD unit they took out and they said sure, but it’ll cost you the full unit price — I said no thanks.

No, I don't have it, but I'll ask if they kept it.
I do have two of the amps (88650-60B60), if anyone is looking. Replacing that worked in same cases for folks online.

I suspect that the Bluetooth adapter caused the problem, but I don't know for sure.

HArd to say if they replaced 3 curcuit boards at one time.

really I was just thinking maybe there's a better/faster bullet. All these nav 100 2003+ are gonna have future problems. The standard dealer fix is swap the amp and more often than not it doesn't work. Ruling out the easiest/ quickest check should be the first on the list. Not the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom