Abs issues part time 4wd (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have a 97 80 series. Previous owner converted the truck to part time 4wd with locking hubs.
Truck has the Marks ABS relocate kit for part time 4wd.
The kit is pretty cool and works well, but the abs light is always on. Never seen it go off.
Abs works well and I've tested it on gravel, ice, etc and i feel abs engaging.
I've had problems with gravel getting stuck between the abs sensors and the ring they read off of. The gravel bends the little magnetic prong that's on the tip of the sensors.
After a few times of this the prong is shot and abs is crazy weird. I'll push the brakes and the truck wants to shoot me into the other lane.
I pulled the abs fuse and now it brakes fine. But no abs.
After researching online it looks to me like the newer (95-97) sensors have two small prongs instead of one large one so maybe that will help?
I think I have the older sensors with one large prong that gravel can bend.
The previous owner chased the ABS light quite a bit and replaced the large wire run that goes under the driver kickpanel a few times to see if that would make a difference.
My current plan is to get some of the newer sensors from a pick and pull and see if that helps.
Anyone else with the marks relocate kit wanna chime in?

So I got some of the newer style ABS sensors from an lx450 and put them in the front.
They seem like an improvement as far a source design goes over the old sensors. The brakes worked much better and I didn't get the terrible drifting like I did with the last sensors.
When I would brake going at higher speeds I'm still getting some steering wobble though. Pulled the ABS fuse and brakes fine.
The previous owner said it was a throwing a deceleration sensor code. He replaced a few abs computers, and the wiring loom that runs along the drivers side seat. None of that fixed the abs light from coming on.
Anybody have any other suggestions?

there is a by pass for the front abs sensor in the engine bay at the diagnostic terminal. I can't remember with terminal but I know this is where the sensor can be by pass

Do you really need the ABS? I have the part time kit in my 94 and I just live with the ABS light on. Truck seems to break better without the ABS anyways.

Unsure if thus is the case? Are there any switches or gadgets attached to the console around the shifters?

Beneath the console is a 'G' sensor that must be orientated correctly for the 'all good' warning light to go out. I have seen them moved to allow 'things' to be screwed to the console and it gives all sorts of weird results.

Regards

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom