??? about 850 "J" springs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm thinking of changing out my 850's for "J" series, which I have noticed a few of you have done already. I already have the 2.5" HD lift / shock setup installed on the 96.

So, do the 850 "J" springs require the long travel shocks or are the N73 series shocks adequate for these springs?

Do you have to change the OME caster bushings for these springs?

I have extended the swaybars & fabbing SS brake lines, any other requirements for these shocks?

Joe

So, do the 850 "J" springs require the long travel shocks or are the N73 series shocks adequate for these springs?
Joe

You don't have to, but to gain any articulation benifits you'll have to put on longer shocks.

Do you have to change the OME caster bushings for these springs?

Again, you don'thave to. I originally tried to install the castor correction kit when I installed my lift, but the press lacked the cojones to push out the old bushings. My truck drove like a nightmare until I installed new bumpers, winch, and sliders and brought the front end down enough to put the castor in a more acceptable range. Now my truck is drivable, but I'm still waiting for some time to get the truck back up on a lift and install the correction kit.

I’m sure that Slee, Beo, or many of the other more knowledgeable folks will chime in here.

Your going to want the longer shocks but it could be used with the shorter N73 shocks with a small loss of travel.

I found on mine the castor correction bushings were a must have item. It was scarry without them.

Joe,

Curran and Chris covered most of your questions.

>> I have extended the swaybars & fabbing SS brake lines, <<
>> any other requirements for these shocks? <<

If you install the L-shocks you should extend your rear axle bump stops by 1"; 2" if you go to 35's.  Unless you have a 93-94 truck then you will need to acquire front axle bump stops and extend them. The 93-94's have them on the front.

I believe C-Dan has finally located the part numbers for the (rare!) front axle bump stops.  An alternative is to use some from a mini, FJ60, or other SFA Toyotas.   Rear bump stops can be used on the front with a little work.

-B-

Curran, Chris, & -B-

Thanks for the input!

Sometimes it is tricky to drive at speed / cornering on the freeway from the 850 HD springs, factory (no rear weight) bumper, and w/o the cc-bushings.

Sounds like I can run the "J's" up front for awhile with the standard lift shock, especially since the 80 won't see any severe trails for awhile & thats the shock I already installed!.

Will have the front springs & CC-bushings installed at the Lexus Dealership this week - friend is the service manager 8), I help him with his FJ55 & he has his slaves work the 80 :D

Joe

B or Anyone,
Would you have the dimensions of those rare Ft bumpstops? It would give us a reference point who are using something else. I bought the FJ62s which bolt right on but are both the same height. From what I understand the FJ80s are different heights.

Rick,
I have the measurements at home and will post them tonight if nobody responds. The left side front bump stop is much longer than the right side.
-B-

The OEM 93-94 bump stops are:

Front
Left: 3" total height
Rt: 2" total height

Rear
Left: 2-3/4" total height
Rt: 2-3/4" total height

Pics on request.
-B-

Thanks B,
Just went out and measured my FJ62 stops at 3" each. I'll have to make a 1" shim for the DS side to properly set them up. This should take care of the rubbing I was having on that side.

BTW: I'm running 35" for those who might not know.

Rick,
What is your suspension? L-shocks? Spacers? Springs? Which brand tyres?
-B-

B,
OME heavy all around, the 850/863 combo, OME light shocks, BFG AT/TAs mounted on stock rims. Nothing up front and a Kaymar in the rear.
I haven't done any hard rock crawling with it so don't get the idea that this will solve everything. I only had one situation where I rubbed after the FJ62 stops where put in and it was slight and after looking at the axle diameter at the bump points I knew that the DS side needed to be dropped. This should save me some trial and error.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom