About 50 Gs eh? 2020 Taco Pro... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It IS crazy. And one of the reasons I bought the OR Premium. Which I love more every day.

I am selling my built GX470 this week, have a buyer and I purchased a 2020 Quicksand Tacoma TRD OR for $39,5K at the end of Aug.
I just dont see the Pro being worth the MSRP or more. In my region the Pro is priced around $47,xxx.xx and mine was priced at MSRP of $43.5k, but with the discount, thats a major difference from the Pro.

Taco prices are nuts. I would love to get a 4cyl with a short cab (that they don't make), MT, and factory e-locker.

I can't imagine paying 4Runner prices for one of these:(

I’ve noticed a theme in this thread and I’m glad for the feed pack I’ve read. I haven't pulled the trigger on the DCOR yet, but will be by the end of the year.
I had a built 80 and was going to keep it but we were planning on a trailer and the 80 couldn’t pull a greased string out of a pigs but. So I sold it and my 04 Gen 1 Taco before we moved out of the country. Fast forward nearly 5 years and we are back in the US and about to take delivery on the trailer but 200s are outrageous and the GX460 isn’t far behind. Besides, by the time I go to the dealer to get my next rig, the 200 will be gone and the next gen GX will be coming in. Bottom line is that $45 - 50k for a truck (utility needs and capability) is way cheaper than the other options.
I was on the fence but have been educating myself with your collective experience and insight. Thank you for that by the way.
Does everyone agree that the adjustable DS seat is better than one without. And lastly: storage in the bed. Is there a storage box built into the bed now? I haven’t been to a dealership yet cause I’m not that far down the road but thought I’d ask.

The takeaway for me is how unaffordable these are becoming, at least for me.

I'm the second owner of a '15 Pro, and original owner had the window sticker included in the records - $38k. Yes, I know it's a difference vehicle (2nd gen, 4.0, bilstein 6112/5160s, doesn't say "pro" in the headlamps) but is the new one $10k better? Hell, I believe you have to scrap the suspension or chop the cab mount just to fit 285s, but I may be wrong. I see the Fox suspensions sold used around SLC all the time for ~$1500. There are two sets available now.

Plus mine is an ACLB with a MT, a combo they didn't choose to offer starting in 2016, even in OR trim either (in US). I'd have to get a Sport, swap suspension, and add a diff lock. Toyota no longer makes the trucks I want; in 5 years I'll be looking for another 1st or 2nd gen.

Several reviewers on YouTube have been rather emphatic that 'if' you really want the offroad performance that the Pro 'sells' from the dealer, you are much better off buying the 'Offroad' edition and building it out yourself and save money! Found all this while looking my self. I just can't bear the thought of selling a perfectly good, if not aging' 1994 Landcruiser.

I loved my 2020 ORDC. I started modding it but ultimately I couldn't justify having 2 offroad vehicles so I traded it for a Ram Rebel. I have my 94 lc which made the taco more of a family hauler/mall crawler which the rebel fits. If I ever get rid of the cruiser the taco would be my first choice for an off road vehicle. The only real downside to the taco is the rear seat leg room. Kids now days expect 4 full doors and room to stretch out. I didn't have that option as a kid. 4 of us crammed in the back of an extended cab f150 and loved every minute being uncomfortable. Long story short. If you buy a taco get the OR and put whatever suspension and tires you want on it.

LOL on the rear seat leg room! When I test drove one I 'tried' to get into that rear seat...on a double cab. Couldn't comfortably and I'm only 5'10', 200lbs and somewhat athletic for my advancing age!

I saw several YouTube videos comparing Tacoma models with the narrator stating that you should buy the OR rather than the Pro and save $10K. Partly true from my research. Once you add all the options that come standard on the Pro--minus the suspension and wheels--to an OR, the difference is far less than $10K. Maybe $2K or $3k, if that. Plus, I'm so done with wrenching on a new truck to make it a better or more capable off-roader. At 73, that's just not fun any more. So, we bought the Pro, and so far we're very pleased with the truck. It's just what we wanted. Hey, it's only money.

Well all I can say is my 2016 DCSB offroad M/T is a true toyota and has been reliable as all before. I have a 170k plus on my 16 and I'm on my 2nd set of plugs and just changed my serpentine belt and other than changing oils that is all I've had to do! And I've offroad and been very rough and hard on my tacoma. But it was the best 40 grand I spent ever.
Only regret was not buying a PRO but toyota didn't offer one in 16. And best thing about the pickup is the M/T, so if you don't mind rowing gears then do yourself a favor and get one with a manual.
Only downfall I see with the new ones is that stupid front tss sensor crap.
Goodluck!!!

I have a 170k plus on my 16 and I'm on my 2nd set of plugs and just changed my serpentine belt and other than changing oils that is all I've had to do!

Only downfall I see with the new ones is that stupid front tss sensor crap.

What TSS sensors are you referring to? What is the problem with them? If you mean the anti collision thing, it’s only on if you are using cruise control. Most of the sensor things can be turned off in the settings menu. The lane departure warning lasted about 10 minutes on mine before it was killed. I don’t need a bunch of beeping every time I cross the paint line on the road. If I were trying to drive 24 hrs straight I might turn it on to keep from falling asleep, but I have no plans for marathon driving.

What TSS sensors are you referring to? What is the problem with them? If you mean the anti collision thing, it’s only on if you are using cruise control. Most of the sensor things can be turned off in the settings menu. The lane departure warning lasted about 10 minutes on mine before it was killed. I don’t need a bunch of beeping every time I cross the paint line on the road. If I were trying to drive 24 hrs straight I might turn it on to keep from falling asleep, but I have no plans for marathon driving.
Yeah the front sensor attached to the grill or behind it. I've just witnessed alot of complaints about it and having to take it to a dealer to adjust because of lifting or something like that and also several guys say when it gets dusty it sends a waring to their dash and disables cruise control if I remember correctly. One dude said just driving in light rain set off that sensor on the dash and it needed to be cleaned. Can that entire sensor just be bypassed or is it required for the radar cruise?
I personally dislike the radar cruise and all of that, and it would drive me insane have to constantly clean that sensor. I just don't see the need for that and to me it is a negative.

The front radar sensor was the subject of a recall for years 2016-2019. Mine was replace on this recall. Before the recall, sometimes the radar cruise would shut off and require restarting the engine. After the recall no problems rain, snow or shine. The radar cruise control is great and easy to get used to. You can drive in any traffic with no foot on the throttle.

Our front sensor has given me the “cruise unavailable” warning a couple of times, but only in super heavy snow. Of course you’d never use cruise in the snow, and I never use cruise control at all, so it’s a moot point for me. It certainly would not keep me from buying a new Taco.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom