A Weekend in Tiadaghton State Forest (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just thought I’d give a little report. CMCC is a tough commitment every year as it’s the busiest season for us. On a last minute whim I called up to Tiadaghton Forest District to see if anything was available for the weekend. They were very polite and accommodating on the phone and recommended a few areas to check out. They have an open permitting policy... no numbered sites like Bald Eagle and it’s First Come, First Served type camping. I said I’d rather not see anyone this weekend and she recommended the “7 Mile” area above Slate Run (village) and along Slate Run (creek).
She did not disappoint IMO. We threw everything in the back of the GX, hooked up the trailer and headed out Friday after work. Took about 2 hours to make the drive and find the site. Was a little concerned as the first few sites we passed were right along the whiteball. I said screw it, we’re not don’t this, I’ll find us a spot for the night and we’ll move on tomorrow for a better location. We kept driving as according to my map, we weren’t quite to the posted 7 Mile location. Luckily we did as it was a pretty beautiful site, tucked in along the creek and completely private. Saw no one all weekend, had the creek to ourselves, no cell service and very mild temps in the shade. High 70s during the day with a nice breeze and 60 and 58 respectively at night. Slept peacefully to the sound of the creek running by with no interruptions. Perfect weekend in my book.
The road up is narrow and there are spots where meeting another vehicle coming in the opposite direction could be a bit of a challenge. The trailer bounced along and did fine. Missed the turn into the site as it was getting dark and had to make about an 80 point turn to rerouted!

Things to do in the area:
-lots of Kayaking on Pine Creek
-Fly fishing on Slate Run (supposedly world famous)
I never learned to Fly Fish but can say that the Trout were very visible along this stretch and quite large
-lots of hiking trails
-Pine Creek Rails to Trails (saw a lot of bikers on the way in and out)
I’m never good at taking pics but did grab a few

The last segment into the Camp area. There are a few sites in this location to accommodate several rigs.
27671348-C96C-4AC2-B563-330D9E0FCFBB.jpeg

View from the back door... about a 25’ drop into the creek if you’ve had one too many for the night!
475969BC-0CA1-42BF-BD7D-76DA3EA0533F.jpeg

Getting camp setup for the weekend
7EB41A22-9B10-4503-8972-DBDECCDBE879.jpeg

A nice fire and clear skies
84AFED16-92E3-4449-99FA-46FB49CDE800.jpeg

Lots of shade in this area so the solar struggled a bit to keep up but I do have a 2000W inverter that I ran a couple of times to recharge the battery.

Hope you brought one of your friends, Mr. Monkey or Ms. Nolets!

Looks like an amazing spot!!!

nice, I'll be checking out that area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom