A-TRAC vs. TRAC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Had a minute finally so I thought I'd respond to FIVE-BY-FIVE's linked post from the FJC Forums. That link had the statements:

"So at relatively high speeds TRAC will slow you down & aid in traction control in slippery situations, while VSC will give your more control during turns, skids, and saving your ass (roll over prevention)."

This is 100% not accurate. Besides reading the manual....think about it....what is Traction Control for? What does it do? Traction Control assits to move the vehicle FORWARD when traction is lost and you need to continue progress. Traction Control doesn't sense slipping at higher speeds and kick in to slow you down. It's VSC and VSC ONLY that saves your butt when you lose traction at high speed. It's VSC-only that can cut the engine.

"While ATRAC and Rear Diff Locker is specifically for use in 4LO. While either of these are engaged, the TRAC and VSC is turned off. This makes sense, b/c they are safety systems to slow you down when you're going to fast, while ATRAC and RDL will aid to move you forward when you're going too slow or stuck."

The "slow down" reference is not correct again. VSC is the safety system to slow you down while losing control. TRAC AND ATRAC are systems that activate braking ONLY when you are trying to move FORWARD and while tires are slipping. TRAC has no effect on throttle. When you shift from Hi to Lo the system's software changes which effects kick-in and forward control.

"Other Recommendations: Not necessary to be in 4H when it's raining or lightly snowing in the city, since this will deactivate VSC. VSC is what will save your ass at high speeds (per Thai). If you stay in 2H, you have TRAC and VSC to make necessary corrections if you slip & slide. If you do choose to put it in 4H for these situations, at least you still have TRAC working for you. But again, Thai says TRAC is turned off after 40+ mph or so. Many here feel you shouldn't be going fast (>40mph) while in 4H. 4H is probably more appropriate if you encounter thick/compacted snow or icey roads as FJJack mentions. You can quickly find out which is better with a test this winter. Try 2H and 4H and make up your own mind."

Totally misleading. TRAC is not there to work for you if you are "slipping and sliding" unless you are going at slower speeds and are trying to ACCELLERATE. And you'll need to use a soft pedal when taking off or the system will kick out and let you spin all four until your heart's content. This is why in mud you can sling it all over....because you need to keep up on throttle and not have the engine cut or you'll get stuck. The reference to 40 MPH+ is totally incorrect as well. TRAC/ATRAC work only below a certain throttle input compared to speed. You can be going 2 MPH (for example) trying to climb a hill or take off on ice....if you keep light throttle the system will kick in to your aid. IF you accellerate too much the system will kick out and let wheels spin all you want. This happens in case you NEED your wheels to claw for traction such as in mud, sand, or deep snow.

*****It's VSC and VSC ONLY that will slow you at higher speeds in order to help maintain control.

*****The differences between TRAC and ATRAC are only software flashes. Both systems simply apply brakes in order to keep forward progress. When they kick in and how tight they control varies by the software and sometimes added wheel sensors. Other than that they do the same thing...they work to keep you moving (not to slow you down).

Last edited:
Any how John: I am home and will look into this futher. While I have the assistance of the owner manual, the other resources I have are the training I received over the last 3 years as a Trail Team driver( which the techinical training was done by Toyota reps that teach the Tech's and write manuals). I do seem to have support from Beno, which is great. Any how I will make the statement that I do make mistakes, This is how I learn. So while this is a great endevor to learn. I hope all that read this thread, are in the same mode ( To learn).
I do have some experience with the FJC.
You never did answer the question I asked about owning one. So you are reading a manual from your own FJC or some one other than you? not a big thing, but show's some vested interest if you own one(IMHO).
Any how I thought about this some. Before I got to any related outside info.
It would seem to me that both are intergrated to some extent. I have some experience in high range in 2x drive where the truck was backing out engine power and no side to side slipage (where I thing VSC would kick in, this would be no yaw sensor would pick up(necessary for VSC to kick in for skid control)). Any how Once you lock into 4x high,the Yaw sensor is (kick out) not working, thus no braking(due to skid control) or engine power backing out.
Any how this is a complicated system and they may be sharing information and helping each other out in many ways. Some thing that has not been comented on.
So I will be checking with TIS(if information is to be had on line), I can also contact the instructor from Toyota that trained us( a person that writes all the technical info for training for Toyota SUV and truck division), or talk to to the division of Training for the central region about this. I do not think that I am that far off of what is up. But if I have misunderstood some thing, I will surly let you and the guys know. I do not have that big of a IGO to mislead people into some thing that is not fully right.
I only try to add to conversations that I feel is not going right. Thus the reason I stepped in on this conversation.
I personally think some times you step in to stir the pot( maybe it is my past with your thread highjacks(imho), may be it is to learn. Any how nothing really personal.
It seem like some really new people to IH8MUD see's it as a pissing match.
Later Robbie

Any how John: I am home and will look into this futher. While I have the assistance of the owner manual, the other resources I have are the training I received over the last 3 years as a Trail Team driver( which the techinical training was done by Toyota reps that teach the Tech's and write manuals). I do seem to have support from Beno, which is great. Any how I will make the statement that I do make mistakes, This is how I learn. So while this is a great endevor to learn. I hope all that read this thread, are in the same mode ( To learn).
I do have some experience with the FJC.
You never did answer the question I asked about owning one. So you are reading a manual from your own FJC or some one other than you? not a big thing, but show's some vested interest if you own one(IMHO).
Any how I thought about this some. Before I got to any related outside info.
It would seem to me that both are intergrated to some extent. I have some experience in high range in 2x drive where the truck was backing out engine power and no side to side slipage (where I thing VSC would kick in, this would be no yaw sensor would pick up(necessary for VSC to kick in for skid control)). Any how Once you lock into 4x high,the Yaw sensor is (kick out) not working, thus no braking(due to skid control) or engine power backing out.
Any how this is a complicated system and they may be sharing information and helping each other out in many ways. Some thing that has not been comented on.
So I will be checking with TIS(if information is to be had on line), I can also contact the instructor from Toyota that trained us( a person that writes all the technical info for training for Toyota SUV and truck division), or talk to to the division of Training for the central region about this. I do not think that I am that far off of what is up. But if I have misunderstood some thing, I will surly let you and the guys know. I do not have that big of a IGO to mislead people into some thing that is not fully right.
I only try to add to conversations that I feel is not going right. Thus the reason I stepped in on this conversation.
I personally think some times you step in to stir the pot( maybe it is my past with your thread highjacks(imho), may be it is to learn. Any how nothing really personal.
It seem like some really new people to IH8MUD see's it as a pissing match.
Later Robbie

I have no desire to own an FJC.

Not impressed with it whatsoever. On trail drives I never wished I was in one. I was always glad I was in my LX or especially my 100. I can see the draw however for the folks wanting a new and affordable wheeler. For me, my money is on the H3 in that category. After wheeling with many of both SUV's I'll want to be in the H3 on the trail (though not reliability-wise...just trail-wise).

I suggest you not take the word of trainers or the like. Go straight to the owner's manuals and internal tech docs. And if you happen to find something that shows TRAC or ATRAC controlling the engine, please post up for us to review. Thanks Robbie. I don't think you'll find it though. At slow speeds one might THINK the engine is being cut because:

A. Loosing traction reduces speed
B. Brakes (traction control) kicking in can slow it further until traction is regained

Pot-wise: :D

No stirring up being done here. It's about presenting accurate information on the posts. You are a TRUE authority on these and all Toyota SUV's. Because the folks (and myself) look up to you for advice I have went the extra mile to present the accurate details about the systems. Nobody is 100% correct on every subject or opinion. If trainers have presented to you that the TRAC systems control the engine then they have done you a diservice in my opinion. I've been wrong many times before. Let's see what you can find via Toyota Technical Manuals. J

Shotts....let me know when you wanna' go wheel in MY FJ so you can see for yourself that you are wrong on damn near every point you're trying to make.....

ps....the manual says you can't have atrac and locker at the same time...wrong

The engine speed is absolutely cut with the 2wd trac system if you slip or excelerate to hard....

The A-trac will NOT effect throttle

Touching your brakes AT ALL will kill both trac systems(kills the left foot braking that Toyota teaches)

VSC is not for traction....it's for lateral slides/potential roll-over...it will straighten you out even if you don't want it to...

trac is for starting from a stop...it will kill the spinning wheel and drop power until all wheels are at the same speed...

A-trac is for killing power to the wheel in the air and transfering that power to the wheel with traction....

putting the rig in 4hi will kill the vsc but not the trac...

4lo will kill the trac AND vsc....

Atrac button turns the trac back on....but not the vsc....

And I'll out wheel that P.O.S. H-3 anyday you wanna' try!!!

And toss ya a strap to get you home!!!

Shotts....let me know when you wanna' go wheel in MY FJ so you can see for yourself that you are wrong on damn near every point you're trying to make.....

ps....the manual says you can't have atrac and locker at the same time...wrong

The engine speed is absolutely cut with the 2wd trac system if you slip or excelerate to hard....

The A-trac will NOT effect throttle

Touching your brakes AT ALL will kill both trac systems(kills the left foot braking that Toyota teaches)

VSC is not for traction....it's for lateral slides/potential roll-over...it will straighten you out even if you don't want it to...

trac is for starting from a stop...it will kill the spinning wheel and drop power until all wheels are at the same speed...

A-trac is for killing power to the wheel in the air and transfering that power to the wheel with traction....

And I'll out wheel that P.O.S. H-3 anyday you wanna' try!!!

And toss ya a strap to get you home!!!

Errors in there. Not work arguing any longer. Enjoy your ride. Glad you like the way things work. What does what on the vehicle can get confusing. Obviously, many misunderstand the system's that go to work for you.

I am currently in Los Angeles finishing up a long project. I will dig my notes out later this week to see if what I remember is correct.
But to me you have done again what you love to do John, twist stuff up. Only on the FJ Is the term A-TRAC used. The rest of Toyota's line uses Active traction control in the wording. While they could be constude to mean the same. They are similar but different. So your post #6 is wrong, while the post #2 from 5X5 is correct. You are funny some times.
See you soon on some hard trail. Besides, did you buy a FJC?

I had a FJC, and the A-TRAC and TRAC on the regular Land Cruiser are the same thing. Wheels slip, the traction control kicks in. End of story.

There is no difference between the "Trac" and the "A-Trac". I have had both the FJC and now own a 100 and the Trac operates exactly the same as the "A-Trac" on the FJC, even with wheels off the ground. All without a button.

4-Lo does not kill traction control.

Trac and A-trac are by no means the same, period.

Based on what facts?

All components are the same. You would know this if you would research before posting a non-substantiated opinion.

CPU
Wheel sensors
Driver input via throttle
ABS braking system

ONLY the software differs from Hi to Lo gearing.

I know on my 2008 I can engage ATrac and Locker at same time and they work....but the ATRAC only works on front tires when rear locker engaged. unless i was hearing something else grinding and chattering...

I know on my 2008 I can engage ATrac and Locker at same time and they work....but the ATRAC only works on front tires when rear locker engaged. unless i was hearing something else grinding and chattering...

Same is true on ANY traction-controlled vehicle. A locker prohibits one wheel from spinning at a diferent speed than the other on the same axle. So on the FJC or my ARB-locked 100-series, if the rear is locked then the traction control still works up front (a nice plus!). If both axles are locked, traction control cannot kick in.

Based on what facts?

All components are the same. You would know this if you would research before posting a non-substantiated opinion.

CPU
Wheel sensors
Driver input via throttle
ABS braking system

ONLY the software differs from Hi to Lo gearing.

The FJC's ATRAC is faster to react and more aggressively tuned to offroading. That is taken from Toyota press and interview info.
I don't know how accurate it is but certainly one can trail test to see how it works out.

I have not noticed any difference, and I have wheeled both under the same circumstances. Wheels off the ground, sand, rocks etc, no difference noticed. My 100 is a 2004, so I don't know if that makes a difference because Shotts is an older model.

The FJC's ATRAC is faster to react and more aggressively tuned to offroading. That is taken from Toyota press and interview info.
I don't know how accurate it is but certainly one can trail test to see how it works out.

That's not what's being discussed here. We're not talking about "how well" they work, but "how" they work.

what is being discussed here is the FJ Cruiser's traction control system.
You have made your point and since you are here solely based on presenting "accurate information" and not doing a tit-for-tat with Robbie and have no interest in the FJC,
you can stop and go back to 100 tech. You have presented your info and there is no need to keep going in circles.

I have no desire to own an FJC.

Not impressed with it whatsoever. On trail drives I never wished I was in one.

<snip>

No stirring up being done here. It's about presenting accurate information on the posts. You are a TRUE authority on these and all Toyota SUV's. Because the folks (and myself) look up to you for advice I have went the extra mile to present the accurate details about the systems. Nobody is 100% correct on every subject or opinion. If trainers have presented to you that the TRAC systems control the engine then they have done you a diservice in my opinion. I've been wrong many times before. Let's see what you can find via Toyota Technical Manuals. J

Last edited:
i just know it works and makes a significant difference in the vehicles ability in my opinion....i dont use the locker until i get stuck or i am unable to move forward further......as in my sideways (crabbing) hill climb at Cullowhee two weeks ago after a full day of rain and deep ruts. :)

i just know it works and makes a significant difference in the vehicles ability in my opinion....i dont use the locker until i get stuck or i am unable to move forward further......as in my sideways (crabbing) hill climb at Cullowhee two weeks ago after a full day of rain and deep ruts. :)

Absolutely! I'm amazed at how many owners of the older vehicles without tractionj control still criticize it. They just don't know what they are saying! :D

so.................is there a difference? What I gather is that A-TRAC is 4wd and Trac is 2wd and that not all A-TRAC operates the same. Is it possible to re-map say a 2008 Sequoia to a FJ A-TRAC spec. intervention?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom