A/T Oil Temp Light - suggestions welcome (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, my A/T oil temp light came on twice now over the last two days and I'm slightly confused as to why.

Recent events:
Ran the high water mark trail with the local club but extended front and rear diff breathers, transfer and transmission breathers as well.

Drove approximately 6 hours back home. Let the rig sit for an hour, drove 20 minutes, cut it, went to the gas station and in the 5 minute trip home, it came on. I would think if my transmission would get hot, it would be on the hills in Missouri and Arkansas, not after sitting for an hour.

Today it came on 4 miles from home but I drove it all day yesterday and Sunday without any issue.

Fluid level is normal and fluid looks like it's not contaminated with water.

Now, the trail we ran included several water crossings of which mine did without complaint.

One thing that is kind of perplexing to me is that I replaced the starter in September with a Denso unit. Since the water crossings, I've had it hesitate before starting (silence for about a second before turning over) on 3 occasions. I've read that the A/T light could also relate to a starter?

I parked my car 30 minutes ago and the light is out now. What's the best plan of action?

I did throw a P0100 and a P0110 from the trip, neither of which have come back since clearing the code.

I'll drain and refill this afternoon or tomorrow and post back.

Also, transmission is about 140-150* while the light is on.

If your trans temp gauge shows 150* and the light is on, then you may have an intermittent short in the warning light circuit. Potentially as a result of water getting somewhere during your trip.

150* is not warm enough to be of any concern.

If your trans temp gauge shows 150* and the light is on, then you may have an intermittent short in the warning light circuit. Potentially as a result of water getting somewhere during your trip.

150* is not warm enough to be of any concern.

I think you're right. It's probably related to a sensor or the starter issue that just cropped up. The light is intermittent and the transmission itself stays at about 139*, torque converter closer to 150* and the transmission cooler ranges between 100* (running) and 140* (off).

I'm going to drain/refill tomorrow but will tinker around under there today a bit looking at harnesses and plugs.

Drained and refilled 4 quarts today and it shifts buttery smooth.

Oddly enough, when I went to crank it, it clicked. Second time, it started.

1. Could it be the light is related to the starter?

2. Where exactly is the transmission temp sensor? Is it the one hanging off the DS of the transmission?

3. How can I eliminate that aspect of it?

And, a quick update of symptoms: light came on intermittently yesterday but was off when I parked it last night. Has not come on today in the quick 20-25 minutes I've driven it. It'll get another 20-30 miles today so maybe it'll stay off as I drive it.

Thanks for the replies so far guys

Jack

It's built into the trans line to the cooler on the same wiring running as the O2 sensors on the passenger side

And not related to starter water caused that. Time might clear that. It's the relay built into the starter

The wiring to the trans temp sensor goes through the big connector over the starter. Water could have caused an errant reading, but should dry quickly, that connector has been known to have corrosion issues.

Sure about that pretty sure it's direct to computer. I found it very odd when I was going through my harness. I don't have O2 sensors any more with the diesel and the trans sensor is a small 2 wire run now

Either way unplugging and plug it in a few times then new di-electric Grease and I'd bet that problem will go away

20160609_004130.jpg

Thanks guys. So I
How are you getting trans temps?

Infrared thermometer.

I'm going to drive it today through the weekend and see if it comes on. No light yesterday after drain and refill but I did have my starter click a couple of times. I'll begin the starter replacement soon if it still is happening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom