A question for Colorado drivers (or anyone else who deals with steep grades) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BGMachine

Working on cars I can't afford
Threads
Hey all,

I recently got back from a trip to colorado and while I was out there I went to Vail thus driving in and out of the Vail pass. Going into Vail I had no real problems but coming out was another story. While climbing the 6.5% grade out of the pass, the 80 could only muster about 35mph and was running at about 210 degrees of water temp. Granted I had 6 people in the car and some gear but I feel like it was a little too underpowered. Is this normal for a cruiser with 234,000miles? Thanks

I hit Vail pass frequently, the approach I take is shift into second gear and keep the engine revs right around 4k the whole way up. Been driving it that way for years and with this method you maintain a good speed and you keep up with the traffic fairly well.

This happens to me on Tennesee highways. Going up many of the mountains I'd lose so much speed that truckers would pass me honking. Poor little cruiser.

If I go that way again in the cruiser I may try using the shifter to hold a gear, but that just feels crazy to me. 4K just feels like a lot of wear and tear.

There's just not enough air up there without boost...then add a full load...:meh:

This happens to me on Tennesee highways. Going up many of the mountains I'd lose so much speed that truckers would pass me honking. Poor little cruiser.

If I go that way again in the cruiser I may try using the shifter to hold a gear, but that just feels crazy to me. 4K just feels like a lot of wear and tear.

It was a little nerve racking the first few times to be honest but now I don't think twice about it I've done it so many times, at least 80 on Vail pass alone. I've got 270k on my cruiser so it's no spring chicken either lol

I'm here in Nashville and from Knoxville. What areas are you talking about? This past weekend I drove to Knoxville and back and was happy the way the cruiser ran 40

I was told to use 2nd to climb the steep grades and have been doing that for a few years now climbing steep highway grades and run about 4K without any worries and this is in AZ during the summer time where temps tend to get high and have no problem with engine temps.

I'm here in Nashville and from Knoxville. What areas are you talking about? This past weekend I drove to Knoxville and back and was happy the way the cruiser ran 40

You know - I drive up through to Lexington. There's a climb on that route from Georgia.

Like everyone else is saying. Its pretty normal, especially with gear and people.

I have re-geared to 4.88 on 33 inch tires which helps some. I also just avoid the freeway anyway. There's generally more scenic routes.

If you have to take the freeway through the passes try not to rev it out, turn on your hazards, and enjoy the scenery.

I just did a trip that involved going up and over Wolf Creek pass and had the same issues. Since it was snowy and icy, I just tried to keep speed of 35-40 though. The only way you could keep highways speeds is to do what was mentioned above and keep RPMs around 4k in 2nd.

Like everyone else is saying. Its pretty normal, especially with gear and people.

I have re-geared to 4.88 on 33 inch tires which helps some. I also just avoid the freeway anyway. There's generally more scenic routes.

If you have to take the freeway through the passes try not to rev it out, turn on your hazards, and enjoy the scenery.

I want to regear to 4.88s as well and was curious of 4.88s and 33s would be too low of gearing. My plan is to run 35" MTR's in the summer and 33" Cooper ST/Maxx in the winter. I live in Buena Vista, so not a lot of highway driving unless making trips out of town. Are you happy with your 4.88's and 33s?

Nice link! That's how I do it. I honestly think it's easier on the motor and tranny when you hold it like that instead of it bogging down and shifting in and out of 2nd and 3rd all the time

Vail Pass summit is ~11000 feet above sea level so as one poster mentioned combustion engines starve for oxygen. If you think that driving over Vail Pass is tough in an 80, try to in a tired FJ40, three speed tranny, pulling a small utility trailer. Even people riding bicycles were going faster than I could...

Nice link! That's how I do it. I honestly think it's easier on the motor and tranny when you hold it like that instead of it bogging down and shifting in and out of 2nd and 3rd all the time

Lots of testing shows pulling a 7% grade in 110°+ temps at 4200+ rpm runs cooler then anything below 4200rpm. I rarely exceed 200° (water temp) in the summer pulling hills using the method above and never drop below 63mph.:D
Im also a big cheer leader for using CC when pulling hills at 65mph.
thumb.gif

I want to regear to 4.88s as well and was curious of 4.88s and 33s would be too low of gearing. My plan is to run 35" MTR's in the summer and 33" Cooper ST/Maxx in the winter. I live in Buena Vista, so not a lot of highway driving unless making trips out of town. Are you happy with your 4.88's and 33s?

I ran 33"s and 4.88's for about a year. If you are okay cruising at about 65 mph on the freeways, you will be happy with the gearing. The 4.88 gearing will really make a difference on hills and mountain passes, and of course, 4.88's are equivalent to em gearing for 35"s. I finally split the difference between 33 and 35, and went with a 34" size Toyo OC AT 2 tires (with taller aftermarket wheels)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom