A little help, please... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wob

Threads
Yesterday, my steering started acting up. Whenever I turn (mainly to the left), it feels like something is popping and catching. The funny thing is, it feels like it is exactly under the floorboard under the pedals. Any suggestions? Oh yeah, 96 with 93K miles (doubtful that the PO did the axle service).

wob,

> popping and catching. <
> Oh yeah, 96 with 93K miles (doubtful that the PO did the axle service). <

Get out the checkbook.

-B-

Ouch. This could hurt more than getting kicked in the junk. Sorry Junk.

I bet Cdan's dogs are going to be happy and full here pretty soon... ;)

Sorry WOB, thats not a good thing for you......... :-X

NO, That's NOT the problem!!! :mad: :mad:
I refuse to believe that (even though that's what I was thinking). Should have added, I just put new tires on 2 days ago (285/75). Funny thing, I just drove it at lunch, and no noise. Could it be anything else?

I think I'll try that. Unfortunately, won't have time to do it myself w/in the next few weeks, and will have to take it to the dealer :mad: :mad:. I guess I'll have to ask them to go easy on me. :-[

wob,

>> I just drove it at lunch, and no noise. <<

Does the steering wheel shake uncontrollably at 30MPH? Does it feel like you're driving on 2 eggs instead of tyres?

>> Could it be anything else? <<
It could be hot asphalt. :D

I'm guessing the birfs are shot. 93k is too long but you already knew that from the dozens of posts we've had on the subject.

-B-

center diff locked by accident?

Steve
94 110,000

[quote author=wob link=board=2;threadid=3731;start=0#msg27487 date=1058469300]
NO, That's NOT the problem!!! :mad: :mad:
I refuse to believe that (even though that's what I was thinking). Should have added, I just put new tires on 2 days ago (285/75). Funny thing, I just drove it at lunch, and no noise. Could it be anything else?
[/quote]

You beter hope it is not anythng else! The popping of my worn birfields was the first sign of my viscous coupler, in the t-case, going bad. If you only have the popping after going 60+ mpr for some time and then slow down and make sharp trun. Then after it cools, no more popping, you might be SOL. Does it feel like the wheels are locking up when truning tight, going round and round?? I replaced the birfields with Newfields (cheaper and maybe stronger)sorry Toyoda/c-dan but did replace the t-case with several Toyota t-cases :mad: :D
kurt

I'm stumped now. It either doesn't do it all now, or is very intermittent. When it first started, it felt like sombody was tapping under the floorpan. You can't feel it in the steering wheel at all, and I can't feel anything at highway speeds. Guess I'll have to see what the dealer says. I'll call the PO tonight and see if it has had the 60,000 svc yet. The PO worked for NASCAR, and did all of his own maintenance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom