A friend gave me a free lathe... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
MyfordML-7.jpg

A friend of mine, going back to junior high, got disgusted with the responses for his craigslist ad, and asked me if I wanted his lathe, free. He's moving and has no more room for it. Same friend who gave my son Sean a milling machine a while back (he offered it to me but I already had an identical one, so it went to my son).

Picked it up today. It's a Myford ML-7. Serial number dates to 1971. It has a screw cutting gear box. Came with various cutting bits, reamers, adjustable reamers, layout and measuring equipment, several books including some 'model engineer' (what Brits call serious amateur machinists) books, plus other accessories. For some reason there doesn't appear to be any collets with it.

It's in good shape, and the bedways are not worn. It needs some cleanup. Some of the accessory parts were stored, not used, and have freckling and light oxidation. The lathe itself operates fine.

Came on a huge table that was not in the best of condition. It went to the dump. Will probably make a new table for my bench mill, and put the lathe on the bench mill's table, which is perfect for the lathe but over twice as wide as it needs to be for the mill. Need to make or buy a splash pan.

Been pouring over the machining books. Would like to dive in, but have to mount it on a bench first. It weighs around 220 lbs.

Specs for the ML-7. 3.5"x20". There is a bed gap that will allow larger diameter, but shorter length, work to be turned. Perhaps up to 5", but I have not found a spec on that yet. The screw cutting gearbox is English threads, but there are metric kits available. I don't know how much. ML-7 parts aren't cheap. These lathes were made with very few changes from 194 to 1979. There is a long bed model, but this ain't it.

It ain't winning the lottery, but I still came out a winner. I'm very grateful to my friend for this.

Detailed photos of a restored ML-7 are here:
Page Title

General ML-7 info here:
Page Title

Fully tooled too! That would be a nice size for gubsmithing if the through hole is big enough for a barrel. Nice score!

It's a 3.5" x 20" with a gap bed. A bit short for barrels. Maybe 16" barrels. Dunno about the collet diameter yet. It didn't have any collets. I don't know if it takes 5C or what.

Myford 7

Hi Brian,

Myford's are used extensively around the world for model engineering. Very useful for other things as well. The small spindle bore does limit things a bit however the ME crowd have figured out how to do way more than the machine was originally designed for.
Home Shop Machinist has some stuff which is helpful for Myford's.
The best source will be British. Model Engineer has lots of stuff for Myford's Model Engineers' Workshop is also a good source,same publisher as Model Engineer. ME is aimed at train people where as HSM and MEW are more aimed at anyone interested in general machining and working with metal.
Great to have good friends. If you look after it, your kids will probably get some use out it. They will want to convert it CNC:) if they are as computer literate as my guy.
Great find, have fun, the learning curve never stops.
Thanks jb

That sir is a nice score!
I'd give any thing to have one like that in my shed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom