A 200 and an Opus... with some kids (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have had a few requests to give a little write up detailing our life towing an Opus OP4 around with our 200. We just got back from a one month trek from PA to CO and back.

I would first like to admit we are new 200 series owners . We have had it for about 8 months and 9000 miles. Many of those miles with our Op4 in tow. On the other hand we have had the Opus for about 1.5 years at this point and use it all year round.

Towing: The 200 pulls this thing with ease, I have a tow pro elite, airbags kept at about 18-22psi and medium springs in the rear. I crank my tough dogs down and cruise at 80-90mpg with ease on the highway.

Our first tow rig was a v8 4Runner with a stage 6 icon kit. The smaller SUV with the bigger motor did amazing off road and around small towns, but as soon as we touched any interstate towing became frustrating. The 4.7 makes loads of torque down low and you can lug it around with ease. The 200 seems to make gobs of torque higher in the rpms making driving at higher speeds and long pulls up hills a lot more enjoyable. ( plus the longer wheel base and added horsepower certainly help)
We are located on the east coast at the moment and spent most of our time with the opus on the tighter trails of VT, NH, NJ and ME. In the tight, technical stuff the 4Runner was pretty impressive. But please keep in mind loaded up the trailer is not “light” we are between 4500-5200lbs depending on how much water loaded and how long we’re going out for. I wouldn’t go any heavier on a travel trailer even with the 200 pulling it. Even though the weight is well within both trucks towing capacity, I feel this is about the top side of comfort when actually towing on moderate to difficult trails. ( this was my biggest issue with the purchase of the trailer prior to stepping up to a 200)

The trailer:
In short, it’s our “perfect” set up at the moment. I’m sure things will change at some point, but for now the opus is tough to beat. We spent tons of time researching and speaking with different companies and manufacturers before pulling the trigger on our OP4. We were actually about to move forward with a patriot camper until we were able to see and experience the opus in person.

While traveling, it’s my wife, two children(both under the age of two) and myself. I beat on this trailer probably more than most opus owners getting to some pretty remote areas. It has never let me down. I Set up alone while my wife watches the kids and we have room for two pack n plays and a queen size bed for my wife and I to sleep in. Having a trailer so well built and capable gives us the oportunity to set up base camp in remote areas and make day trips exploring from there. One of us can stay back with the kids if necessary and have everything they need. I’ll get into some of the sacrifices made when going with a travel trailer below, but rite now, for our family dynamic we couldn’t find anything better suited for our needs.

Set up:
Now this isn’t trailer you pull into camp and your set up and ready to go. There is effort involved. My wife says it would be too much for some. It doesn’t bother me at all. The nice thing is I can get everything opened and blowing up quickly and then Start a meal while it blows up and while my wife is setting up the inside living area. You can watch videos on the 3min set up that’s marketed with the Op4 and get a pretty good idea of what’s involved. For the most part they are true... it’s not at all difficult but is a bit more time consuming than stated. I think your set up time has a lot to do with what you have packed out for your specific needs as a family. However, all by my lonesome, I can have the trailer leveled, our living space set up, our forced hot air pumping and kitchen 100% set up in about 10 minutes. When you start adding this like a hot water heater, shower, solar, making beds, setting up tables etc time is obviously added. For the most part it’s easy and completely manageable alone and incredibly efficient.

Break down:
I’m at about 15-20 minutes for breakdown. From completely set up to getting in the driver seat of the truck to pull away. That includes everything( personal belongings and the trailer closure itself). Breakdown takes a bit more physical effort than set up. Closing the trailer and latching the fold out wings can be difficult. If you take your time folding your canvas properly before closing up, you save tons of time and effort in the end.

There are a few add ons available to better your outdoor space from OPUS. ( Air Anex and air awning) they are both marketed as being able to pack into your existing canvas area. Its a bunch of nonsense to have either of those items folded into the trailer. It makes for a time consuming and frustrating pack up in my opinion. Puts significant more strain on hinges and latches. We have the annex, used it once and now leave it at home. It was unnecessary and more of a hassle for us as a family. I absolutely see the value in both of those add ons for other. They just didn’t work for us.

Changes we made:

Water pumps: The single most annoying thing about these trailers is water pressure and the cheap water pumps included. The noise level and water pressure are a complete joke from the factory. I quickly swapped them out and have since added better water pumps. Two hours and some pex pipe and I have fantastic water flow and silent pumps.

Bug blockers: proper bug blockers in the winter are essencial. We dropped the combo heating/air Conditioning system option and opted for the central heat system. (The combo systems does neither heat or cool well) The forced hot air system however, heats the trailer in a matter of minutes and we get added storage space since the air conditioning unit is non existent. Now with that being said, there are 5 areas where the canvas meets the trailer that are incredible drafty. The bug blockers solve this issue.

(Just to put things into perspective with the heating system abilities, we don’t use sleeping bags in the winter. We have done quite a few single digit nights as a family in the trailer with nothing but normal clothes, simple bedding sheets and blankets and the heat on with no issues at all. (Our youngest was 8 weeks on her first trip out. 20 degree nights in VT and no problems at all)

dc to dc charger and Anderson plugs: both were installed and now our alternator properly charges the trailer while diving. I show up to camp with full batteries every time. I literally don’t have any power concerns, ever. A simple renogy solar set up at camp maintains our batteries when we are not driving.

Hot water heater: the shower situation from the factory is terrible. A mounted fold away shower curtain, a gas hot water heater and our water pump upgrade solved that problem.

Indoor carpet: I Installed carpet tiles on the hard floor of the camper and it has made a huge difference in both usable space with children and overal aesthetic.

Here is a list of pros and cons, the trailer has great bones and is built incredibly well where it counts. Some of the little things at times seem like cheap and lazy decisions made during the engineering process, but all of these are easily correctable for any handy OPUS owner.

Cons:
-Overall loaded weight.
-Rear hitch on the trailer is pretty much useless and isn’t rated.
-2ply tires
-water pumps are trash
-no hot water heater from the factory
-rivet buttons at entry are worthless. ( replaced with industrial strength Velcro)
-some of the key cylinders stick when locking/unlocking
-heat/air combo is a terrible option
-being mold conscious when packing away wet and letting it properly dry out before storing for any period of time over 2 days
- more storage would be welcomed( not bad, not great)
- with factory configuration you rely on shore power every 2-3 days
-poor, low grade hardware used in some instances. (Key cylinders, propane quick connects, etc)

Pros:
-Opus customer service and warranty work process is incredible.
-2year warranty
-Frame is very sturdy and very well built
-suspension quality and travel
-almost 8 foot ceiling in the center when blown up.
- indoor space versatility and overal usable room.
-4 burner industrial gas stove( best kitchen out of any travel trailer in my opinion)
-40 gallon water capacity split between two semi isolated tanks
-steel water tank skid plates
-efficient set up time
- incorporated roof rack for temporary and permanent storage
- bed size
- tons of 12v and usb plugs all over the trailer.
-2 Jerry can holders
- lock n roll hitch
- outdoor kitchen, storage, shower and refrigerator pull out ( makes mid day road trip meal options endless, having access to all of this without a full set up is life changing. Especially if traveling with children)
- removable wall and endless windows makes for a pleasant living space with nice weather
- it’s Offroad capability and overall durability
- having access to a full kitchen, refrigerator, shower and storage without any set up. All of those things are accessible around the outside of the trailer.
- since the kitchen is a pull out, this forces our family to congregate outside, which I see as a pro. Especially with little ones.
- it’s a trailer and that makes it removable. I can home base wherever and have the truck for exploring.

Overall, it’s a pleasure to own. I have had my moments of frustration and it did take some time to get acclimated with its functionality. However, for us it works great for us right now. A sprinter isn’t capable enough and lacks needed living space. A pickup with a bed camper lacks living space and storage with small children. A full size hard sided camper isn’t capable enough. So we agreed we needed a full size SUV and a travel trailer. The 200 was an easy decision for us. A decision on a travel trailer, not so much. There are so many fantastic options out there, each with their own set of pros and cons. However, based on our priorities the OP4 seemed to have the least amount of compromises. The opus gives us a massive, airy living space with a very functional kitchen( I’m a chef owner of a fine dining restaurant in Philly) and the whole thing folds up into a wonderfully capable, tactical trailer ready for any adventure.

I’ll be going through the whole trailer in the coming days and I’ll get a bunch of better photos up here. What’s posted is just what I had in my phone. If anyone has any areas they want to see let me know.

Some photos

BFC1D228-7786-46DD-A10B-946BDF336773.jpeg

0495FE7C-9A5C-4174-9B5B-3527BBF2399B.jpeg

9BB4B7AC-733A-43D0-B223-D18BA3FB5D57.jpeg

7E01E15F-8C84-4EC2-B446-9F5E724664FA.jpeg

0F5105A3-7EA6-446D-9DCC-CFD77CBDD78B.jpeg

Awesome review! My buddy was looking at an OP4 and it was between to this and Vorsheer XOC. Your review would have been really handy for him (even though he's a Raptor owner). In the end, he couldn't get at an available unit on the west coast to checkout so that made the decision for him and he wound up with an XOC.

Great feedback and I'm sure this will help someone down the road with their decision. Happy camping!

Thanks for the write up. Good stuff. The Opus is on our short list. You mentioned the rear receiver. Did you have an option to upgrade it? I ran into some folks that had some kind of relationship with Opus and they told me the rear receiver was getting a make over. To make it usable. My deal is that I need to attach my bike rack to it. My rack is pretty stout (Kuat for 4 bikes). Their Opus was a modified prototype for exactly this. Just curious if you came across this when researching yours. Thanks!

Guy

Thanks for the writeup! I'm close to buying one - couple questions:
1. I'd like to upgrade the wheels and tires. Looks like they're 6x139.7 (Tacoma pattern) - do you know? And do you know if anyone has fitted slightly larger tires? Nothing crazy, maybe an inch in diameter more.
2. Which water pump did you buy to upgrade?

Thanks man.

This review is awesome. The have some good sales videos that they will send you as well. They seem like a well made product. We were looking at them last year, but ended up not going in that direction. The soft sided tent-like enclosure approach didn’t resonate with us.

promised pictures... I’ll have some more tomorrow of the exterior all buttoned up.

B4E21D68-F6E1-4FB4-99D8-655DF379CBA2.jpeg

7311DDD2-64AD-4AA0-ABE5-C231840A9A7E.jpeg

EEA8DD8D-BDD9-4A00-8AFE-BF10124124E0.jpeg

9574A8DD-196B-4FA4-A022-7EC6C57B9CE6.jpeg

D023FDBA-3A24-4B6A-A8BD-043C40F5A217.jpeg

Some of the hardware has rusted. It drives me nuts. I’ve slowly been going through anything not stainless and swapping it.
Tomorrow I’ll have a few more shots. Mainly the living space as a whole with something to provide scale and the exterior.

14ED1F14-DC27-4EE6-8632-18E6AA89435E.jpeg

F46C0B60-A213-41FB-974F-FCFDE3F90E15.jpeg

E1968A11-29BC-4072-A474-7BC49DBE9153.jpeg

FDFE80E2-E74B-41DF-913D-FB11973AB317.jpeg

AB277080-EABA-4697-A945-2D5837EA3805.jpeg

Thanks for the write up. Good stuff. The Opus is on our short list. You mentioned the rear receiver. Did you have an option to upgrade it? I ran into some folks that had some kind of relationship with Opus and they told me the rear receiver was getting a make over. To make it usable. My deal is that I need to attach my bike rack to it. My rack is pretty stout (Kuat for 4 bikes). Their Opus was a modified prototype for exactly this. Just curious if you came across this when researching yours. Thanks!

Guy
That was not an upgradable option when we purchased ours.
Opus America is very receptive to our opinions and suggestions. Every rep has been beyond helpful and is very active in a few Facebook pages.

as far as an upgraded hitch, it’s not something I have looked into. I honestly haven't even kept up with any changes made to the new models since my purchase.

if they upgraded the hitch and have a meaningful rating for them, that would please a lot of existing owners. Especially if you can upgrade it on previous years

Thanks for the writeup! I'm close to buying one - couple questions:
1. I'd like to upgrade the wheels and tires. Looks like they're 6x139.7 (Tacoma pattern) - do you know? And do you know if anyone has fitted slightly larger tires? Nothing crazy, maybe an inch in diameter more.
2. Which water pump did you buy to upgrade?

Thanks man.

@ikarus

You can certainly upgrade. I have slightly larger AT tires going on shortly. It is the Tacoma bolt pattern. Just be aware you will lose suspension articulation if you go to large. Also raising it to much may force you to modify the stairs going into the camper.​

but it’s been done and certainly easy to do. I don’t see much benefit going larger other than for aesthetics.

Pump upgrade:

some pex pipe and 90 degree fittings. And make sure you swap out the fuses for the pumps.

it was a really easy job as long as you have everything you need. took about 45 min. This upgrade was a game changer. We can Take real hot showers now with proper pressure. Also makes dishes a breeze. The factory pumps are a joke.

Last edited:
This review is awesome. The have some good sales videos that they will send you as well. They seem like a well made product. We were looking at them last year, but ended up not going in that direction. The soft sided tent-like enclosure approach didn’t resonate with us.
Thanks man! I completely understand your thoughts on a soft sided camper. Especially if your in big bear country. We needed something we could really beat on and after seeing these in person we were sold.

However, it does seem like there are a few great options now for hard sided Offroad campers. Also when your moving the family every night for more than a few days the set up and break down gets a little annoying even though it’s not too much effort.

@ikarus

You can certainly upgrade. I have slightly larger AT tires going on shortly. It is the Tacoma bolt pattern. Just be aware you will lose suspension articulation if you go to large. Also raising it to much may force you to modify the stairs going into the camper.​

but it’s been done and certainly easy to do. I don’t see much benefit going larger other than for aesthetics.

Pump upgrade:

some pex pipe and 90 degree fittings. And make sure you swap out the fuses for the pumps.

it was a really easy job as long as you have everything you need. took about 45 min. This upgrade was a game changer. We can Take real hot showers now with proper pressure. Also makes dishes a breeze. The factory pumps are a joke.
Thanks for the response! Picking up my opus tomorrow.

A few more pictures guys. It’s tough to capture the scale of the interior in pictures. Especially the height of it. The top of my daughters head is in one picture which should give you perspective. She’s a littl over 3ft tall lol.

073290C7-8B53-4389-B665-000E95CBD64C.jpeg

6EF5B797-E6E7-43E0-864C-8473D4A4233C.jpeg

46C8EDAB-FF16-4C39-BE2A-7E0E34CCADD3.jpeg

945B1747-8395-4091-B6D1-3FB3C83B2D4A.jpeg

EAC4DA09-EABC-4A04-90C7-DD4EC48715FB.jpeg

What is the largest tire the trailer can run?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom